1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Battlestar Galactica Mod: Complete!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Boddaker, 27 Mar 2007.

1. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Another productive weekend! :D

I managed to get the side skirts integrated onto the main piece. Here's how I did it:

First I needed to make a paper template for the inner braces that will hold the side skirts in place.
    Since I formed them on the same foam buck as the main piece, they should be a mirror image of it.
    So I took a piece of paper, folded it in half and cut it to fit the curve with the fold facing up. I strung a
    piece of tape across for something to square off of.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I unfolded it and cut my braces. Made two of those, then made two smaller shapes and cut four
    of each so I ended up with five braces per side.
    [​IMG]

Next was to cut a floor with notches for the braces. I used the built-in line in the plastic (made from the
    wood base of the foam buck) as a guide to glue down the floor.
    [​IMG]

Then I glued in the braces, making sure they were square.
    [​IMG]

When those set up, I tacked down the side skirts. It didn't matter too much that there were some
    gaps here and there, as you'll see in the next step.
    [​IMG]

Out came the Plasti-Paste once again for a good helping of reinforcement. I cut the floor out temporarily
    so I could get to both sides.
    [​IMG]

Even so, it was a bear getting the stuff in the inner pockets. That was a good stopping point,
    so I let it set up overnight.
    [​IMG]

The next day I rolled the table out for some more sanding and bondo filling. Oh what fun.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Didn't need much, and only a few areas needed minor spot putty.
    [​IMG]

After working the edges a bit more, I blew all the dust off it and brought the case out for a test fit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not bad! I may not even have to shave anything off. :)

You might think I can put the ribs on now, but there's one more thing I have to do first. I want to
    add some detail to the surface: Pipes, various sized squares of paneling and such. It will be much
    easier doing it now, than trying to work in between the ribs. If all goes well, I can get that done this
    week, then rib next weekend.

:cooldude:

2. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

checked out your website, awesome work :jawdrop:
    737 rocks cos it's completely custom. mystique is very custom aswell... but BSG looks like some nice panels stuck on a pc case... i vote for another completely custom case, one in the shape of BSG. it doesn't have to be an exact replica, you can squash it up like you did with the 737 :naughty:

3. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

awesome!! Glad someone is doing a bsg mod and has the skill to do it. I love the way that you can actually use the landing pod to duct the exhaust from the top fan rather than it blowing straight up. sweet!

4. Boddaker

Thanks, but trust me when I'm done, this will be almost unrecognizable as a CMStacker. BSG will be more of a "custom" case than Mystique, because I will have a lot more going on on the inside as well. :cooldude:

keep watching!

5. Boddaker

Time for my Sunday evening update. Not much has transpired since my last significant update.
    Last time we left off with finishing up the side skirts and preparing the surface for the detailing.
    Well I got most of it done over the last two days. It was good because this type of work could
    easily be done in the living room with the wife and our 3-yr old. :) Although when my pile of
    styrene piping disappeared, I knew who to ask!

Here I had just finished cutting up the first batch of squares of various sizes and shapes. You can
    see the printout of high res reference photos of the Galactica on the right (thank you Starshipbuilder.com). :)
    In order to save myself some work, I drew a rough outline of where the outer armor plating will be,
    so I knew where not to add the detail (since it will be covered up anyway.)
    [​IMG]

...And after I got one side completed. I basically followed the ref photos loosely, just using them
    as a general guideline. I proceeded in a random fashion so as not to look too uniform.
    [​IMG]

Some close up shots. Keep in mind all this will be painted the same color in the end.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the detailing I used .040 Styrene sheet, and half-round styrene rod for the piping. The sheet came with
    ultra-thin flexible strips, so I decided to use them as well for a smaller size pipe.

After adding a bit more detail on the side skirts, I think I can finally prepare the landing bay for the ribs.
    If it works out, it's going to look awesome! Stick around.

8)

6. ssR

ssR Carbon God

awesome. thats very fine detailing you got going there, keep it up!

7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Holy cow!

I've never even seen BSG, but I cn tell this projects set to be top notch.

8. Neji

Neji What's a Dremel?

It looks like the detail will make this mod even better than I thought it would be. Great job.

9. pumpman

pumpman Minimodder

your vacuum forming table in the link in your site is very impressive

10. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

I must say - you are seriously great!! Excellent mods!!

11. Boddaker

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate the comments! :D

Well, my little ribbing scheme didn't work the way I thought it would. :(

I was originally thinking I could build up the ribs using more Plasti-Paste, first by laying down strips of weatherstripping with a 1/8" gap in between, then troweling the paste over the whole thing and working it into the 1/8" slots thus making up the ribs. But when I couldn't find weatherstripping of a suitable size, I turned to foam strips as a possible solution. I cut a bunch of those and sprayed one side with adhesive. But that didn't work either because the strips wouldn't take to the curves very well and the ends would pop up as a result.
    So I am now in the process of laying the ribs down one by one, using 1/8" thick styrene strips cut to 1/4".

Sorry I don't have pics just yet, my DSL is down at home. I will post them tonight if I can get my internet back up.

12. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Smooth and cool!
    Great work! :thumb:

13. Boddaker

So my internet at the house is still down, so I brought the pics into work and posted them. :p

Here's what I was trying to do with the foam strips, but they wouldn't stick.
    [​IMG]

So I cut up a bunch of styrene strips and went to work.
    [​IMG]

I have to fit each strip over the detail pieces. (had I known I was going to do it this way, I would have added the
    detailing after laying down the ribs.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The styrene is very soft. Doesn't need much heat to become pliable.
    [​IMG]

Here's where I'm at, about 1/4 done. But you can kinda see what it will look like.
    [​IMG]

Once all the ribbing is in place, I will add the outer armor pieces over select areas, then add detail to them.

14. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Awesome. I had an idea to do a BSG mod once, seems like it's very similar.

I can't wait for this, you are the man.

15. -equilerex-

-equilerex- What's a Dremel?

totally awesome :rock: cant wait to see it done, the detail you put into is just grazy :naughty:

16. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I love the concept, can't wait to see the finished case!

17. DeKemp

DeKemp BEER.

I dont like battlestar glactica but I do like your work.

18. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Jesus thats good! Any fans of the show will look at that and recognise it instantly even in this form :)

19. derbaum

derbaum What's a Dremel?

are there no tensions in the basematerial when heating the strips ?

20. Zyphron

Zyphron What's a Dremel?

my question is: we going for Combat landings? or what?
    lol thats looking good.

are you going to add some "battle Dmg" in there?

personally im a fan of the Pegasus but still very impressive cant wait to see more!

Tags: