1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows BBC Top Gear

Discussion in 'General' started by samkiller42, 13 Dec 2010.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I may actually watch it now.

I really can't remember what show the Imbruglia incident was on. Chatty Man? I dunno. Any way, both Evans and Imbruglia were on it and his actions left me feeling rage. She was politely trying to explain to him that she was in a relationship and in the end called him a creep and told him to leave her alone.

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I don't think I've watched any after the first episode. Are there any goods bits if I skip the studio drivel?

4. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Goodbye and good riddence to Chris Evans, Ratings will return with somebody else at the helm.
    Peoples hate of Chris Evans has turned off many viewers.

6. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Being producer and presenter, for giggles he should give himself a cold meat salad followed by a rage-slap before he goes.

7. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

That's a real shame, he was hunted out of the role even before the first episode was aired. Shameful.

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Im sure this has been floated before, but.. I feel like evans was picked because either everyone would like the new style and direction or he'd be a scapegoat for the post CHM top gear. This just feels all too scripted.

9. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I like his enthusiasm. My problem has always been with his shouty voice, it really grates on me and I've never understood his undoubted appeal for the millions of listeners.

You know how they say some people have 'a face for radio'. I think he has 'a voice for silent movies'.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nooo. Look, CE, on paper, is a great choice: he has millions of listeners on radio and previously several hit TV shows (albeit 20 years ago now), he writes about cars for national newspapers and he has a huge collection. He has access that Clarkson/May/Hammond took away to premium car makers, and popularist credentials. He is an entertainer who knows cars.

The only difference is that CE is a class A loud-mouth with a very public playboy history, vs Clarkson who is anti-PC and teases the racism boundaries as "it was a joke" which people let slide in the way of entertianment. Clarkson is your blokey-bloke, your pint and a ***, who sings the British songs of soft-power well in scripted scenes but then turns into a far-right Nigel Farage when not scripted. CE looks like a rich man coming down from on high to show us his Rolls or cry over a McLaren or be sick in a car because it was too wibbly wobbly boo hoo.
    Both of them behind the scenes are massive tossers (ever watched Have I Got News For You when Clarkson was on?).

Frankly I'm surprised MLB has done so well, but I guess people (myself included) give him a free pass as he "is Hollywood" and they see him as the presenter not a car blokey bloke. It's also why he clearly doesn't gel so well with Harris and Ried.

Next year what will happen? I think Ried is a better presenter than reviewer - a polar opposite of Chris Harris who is a walking technical manual after several espressos. I would love Ried and MLB to front it and CH to take the exotics around the world doing reviews, or showing his race-craft at events on film. But it needs time for the team to gel and I'm not sure if the BBC has the patience.

EDIT: Just read on Facebook "Yay Chris Evans has gone" then in the replies "I haven't watch the new series yet" :rolleyes:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT2: Extra gear is better. Nice and chatty between RR, MLB and CH + Sabine, but Sabine did a monkey thing to Chris Harris and I know it's his nickname but on TV it just comes across as cringy racist. Then she made an "American's can't do clutch" joke to MLB and it was so awkward OMG. No no noooo

Last edited by a moderator: 5 Jul 2016
  11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I suspect my thoughts were tied heavily to my distaste for Evans in general - I didn't like him umpteen years ago on Ch4's breakfast programme, and I've never much cared for his other endeavours.

He's always struck me as a massive, self obsessed, drama queen. Okay, that could apply to any other TV presenter I expect, but he's never had the charisma and chemistry with anyone else on screen to get away with it IMO.

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Best part of the season for me wasn't actually shown on tv, skip to 16 mins in Extra Gear episode 5, Norman Dewis shows up and unlike on tv there is no ginger in sight...

13. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

14. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I dont think it is... He has and always been a very polarising individual on the airwaves, let along taking over a monolith of a TV show.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea he is, this I agree with. But largely forgotten for me.

16. spudungeyee

spudungeyee What's a Dremel?

I am sure Evans pay cheque has made him cope. Think the main issue was with him and Matt Le Blanc who was signed up for a 2 year deal. Evans couldn't work with him and the pair hated each other. The BBC couldn't afford to get rid of Le Blanc which upset evans I think and therefore he left of his own accord.

17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have just read that TV chef James Martin is the bookies favourite to take over as host of Top Gear. Please tell me this is not so. I do appreciate that he is the BBC's blue eyed boy with his cookery programs all over the network but Top Gear host? I think I would much prefer Guy Martin.

18. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I once saw a "Racing legends" type program hosted by James Martin.

He kept saying "Formlia 1". :wallbash:

[​IMG]

19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

In his newspaper column, Evans has today bigged up LeBlanc for the job.

20. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

They should just not replace him.

They about a million presenters anyway, just put on or two of them in each episode alongside LeBlanc.