1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows BBC Top Gear

Discussion in 'General' started by samkiller42, 13 Dec 2010.

1. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Watched both parts and tbh I thought it was pretty poor.

OK watching but not much humour.

Random driving through fields on purpose was also a bit tedious.

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Well, I suppose they had to "spin their wheels" until the Argentinians noticed them.
    That would also explain crossing the Chilean border so many times.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have to agree. It looks TG has had it's day. This was boring and had been seen on the 'Specials' over and over again.
    Do the team deliberately look for dodgy bridges so that they can go through the usual?

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I enjoy the specials more than the regular show.

I laughed at this one too.

Also don't get why people are shocked by Clarkson saying borderline dodgy stuff, and just dodgy stuff. He's well known as an antagonist when it comes to stuff like that, why is anyone even remotely surprised anymore?

5. David

David Take my advice — I’m not using it.

Some people just like to be outraged/offended by something, on behalf of someone else. AKA the Daily Mail syndrome.

I'm offended by the fact that the kardashians and big brother are considered worthy as entertainment but, rather than seeking out forums or threads about those so I can whine about it, I choose to simply ignore it.

6. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

It was OK, but the fields, damaging the cars intentionally, etc is getting boring.

Remember some years back when there were more driving trough awesome scenery and less BS... those were the times :p

7. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Two episodes dragged it out too long, as for Clarkson, well as a biker there have been numerous occasions when I could have taken offense if I chose to not see the funny side but watching Clarkson fall off a scooter was payback in spades (assuming it was really him) and top gear is a bit like family guy, everyone gets insulted and virtually nothing is off limits, can't handle that, don't watch it.

As for the slope reference, if a racist insult was meant by it why is it just Clarkson's fault for saying it, the editing of the program purposely shows someone walking on the bridge as he says it, without that image when he says it would take a rather tenuous stretch of the imagination to see it as a racist comment when they are in fact standing on a rather rickety, leaning bridge, therefore, it's as much the fault of the producer, editor, etc for constructing the program in that way.

Last edited: 30 Dec 2014
  8. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Almost spat my dinner out when they were doing this...

[​IMG]

9. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Just finished watching both parts; not the most exciting special & yeah a fair few too many staged parts ( would have been really dull without them though ), though a few touching moments and the cars falling to bits was kinda funny if predictable. Shame some Argy thugs had to ruin the fun just for the sake of inventing a reason for a fight based on one journalists BS story ( like they said, they had had no trouble up until the end ).

10. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Just watched both parts. Part 1 was a bit boring but part 2 was pretty good. Shame to see the Argies ruined it at the end with inexcusable behaviour. It looked absolutely terrifying at the end.

Spectacular scenery, there were quite a few staged events and stupid routes but they all made the journey more fun. The Butch-Cassidy references were fun too. All in all I thoroughly enjoyed it! :)

11. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

A bit of background about the "incident" from an Argentinean here.

12. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

13. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Just watched the specials today. If the last part is even remotely for real then I really feel sorry for the Argentinian people. Seriously.

14. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Just saw the special, this was interesting extra info. Basically, it was a combination of people being inexusably easily led, local journalists being total scumbags, and social media becoming an internet hate machine (yet again).

Sooner or later we're gonna have to revise the way we digest and give credence to information on the internet, because as things stand at the moment you can just spoof together a news article or eyewitness account, stick it on facebook and start an avalanche of misinformed hate. I don't even blame the Argentinians specifically for this behaviour - everyone jumped on the 'angry riotous xenophobes' national stereotype when it happened, but similar things have happened in Britain and America and several European countries just because some ***** made something up on the internet and nobody thought to question it.

Riots aside, though, it was still a pretty weak special. Content seemed thin on the ground due to the sheer lack of other human beings and culture in the areas they were traversing. A car not at all designed for off-road being taken off-road and then getting stuck is only surprising or funny for the first one or two times...

15. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Frankly I think it takes a pretty special individual to turn up to that sort of rally in the first place, misinformed or not. Although I completely agree that we need to examine the way we share information and digest what we hear.

16. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

17. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Epic trailer is EPIC! :D

18. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

...and the one thing I learnt from that trailer? That knob configuration is a trademark of Lego.

Apparently.

;)

19. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Top Gear returns January 25th at 8pm GMT on BBC 2(HD)

Sam

20. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Ta Sam, I've chucked it on my planner. Here's the launch trailer: