1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro & Fractal Define R3

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TomH, 15 May 2011.

1. TomH

TomH And like that... he was gone.

I'm currently looking at picking-up a new case. My recent build is currently looking like this:

i5 2500K, aboard the Gigabyte P67-UD4-B3
    Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro
    MSI Cyclone HD6850
    Lian-Li 6089A (oh yes, this Lian-Li case has served me since 2003!)

However, the case is definitely limited by today's standards. Cooling is significantly restricted by 80mm fan mounts/the original design. It's also not 'long enough' for the motherboard, leading the SATA/header cables being quite squished, which isn't ideal.

Hence I'm currently eyeing-up the Fractal Design Define R3 (in black, of course) to replace it.

My concern is the 'CPU cooler clearance' as stated in the Define R3 review is 160mm. Where the height of the cooler is stated as 165mm.

To confuse matters more, Graeme's listening the CPU cooler clearance as 'circa 165mm'.

Thankfully the Lian-Li case is big enough for the side panel to fit on with the cooler installed, but only just. There's a milimetre or so in it, no more.

Therefore, before I drop £90 on a case, have any of you already taken the plunge to fit said cooler, on an LGA1155 board, in a Define R3? Did you have any issues doing so? If no-one's done this yet, would any of the Bit staffers be able to offer some idea on whether they think this will work?

I had a quick google/grep of the forums, but I'm afraid I just got random bits of discussion on either item. Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

2. murraynt

murraynt Well-Known Member

It will be fine mate :)

Only thing you have to watch out for is the heat spreaders on the ram. You should avoid the corsair vengeance ram and others like it and stick to something like the corsair XMS3

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

There has been many a post about this but no first hand confirmation unfortunately!

However if it's of any reassurance ARIA(.CO.UK) have released a system with the Fractal R3 and a Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced cooler which I believe has the same height dimensions as the Pro.

4. TomH

TomH And like that... he was gone.

Not that I mentioned it earlier, but the RAM is sorted. The machine's already running very well with 2x4GB G.Skill Sniper (1.25V, DDR3-1600).

That is some reassurance, actually! Bit lists the Advanced as having a height of 166mm, as opposed to the 165mm of the Pro (which I have).

So in theory that should fit. Will check-out the Aria site nevertheless. Thanks :thumb:

Edit: it's this one here: http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Home+...ty+X+DAW+-+Updated+June+2011+?productId=43650

Last edited: 11 Jun 2011