1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beastie Boys - To The 5 Boroughs

Discussion in 'General' started by mookboy, 7 Jun 2004.

1. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

[​IMG]

This album will kick your bottom. Truly defines the notion of being 'phat' with some really thick, squelchy, bass driven beats and sounds. What's really nice about this record is that it's so lean and mean. There's only two tracks over the 3minute mark, and theres virtually no arty lo-fi hip-hop wanking as seen on Intergalactic.

The samples are almost all instantly memorable, with a lush mix of big beat ear battering stuff, glitchey cutting edge dance infused stuff, and some really original mashing of guitar tracks and other recognisable instrumental samples.

Highlights: An Open Letter To NYC with it's swirly guitar sample and almost sci-fi ambience. Right Right Now Now with almost Wu-Tang like backing vocals and a really sweet harpsichord sample, that flows into a ****ing ace chorus.

One for the iPod Mini fer shure y'all. You knows it!!!!

2. K

K 528491

Tsk tsk ;)

Can't wait.

3. MarcelloRupelli

MarcelloRupelli What's a Dremel?

Darn you! I was about to run out to the record store :wallbash: :D

4. El_JimBob

El_JimBob What's a Dremel?

I've got the promo from my bro who works in distribution.

Its a crazy record. One for the diehards, tho - i feel the general tone of the whole album won't win over the 'casual' Beasties fan as it's not the 'loveable lads' we know from previous records.

Ear-splittingly heavy with some really vitriolic lyrics, and a real 'stripped-down' sound. Its incredible, because there's also an overwhelming air of optimism to the whole thing. Funny, cos the album kicks off with 'Ch-check it out', quite a funny, groovy track - and then the whole feel changes for the rest of the tracks.

'Open letter to NYC' really stands out as its totally unlike anything else on the album - the chuggy guitar intro almost led me to believe that we would be getting another Beasties 'thrash punk' classic, before it swerves into a lush electro stomp. It's THAT good :)
    'Oh Word' is another great track, with a real old-school hip-hop feel and a cool electronic voice that introduces each Beastie before they do their rap :)

Jeez, it's ALL GOOD. It really puts them right back at the top of their game again. Classic Beasties, with a sleek modern edge - and this time they're making sure you LISTEN to what they've got to say.

Album of the year by a friggin' mile so far....

5. K

K 528491

Ah you *******s... I can wait... Yes... Just one week... *rocks back and forth grinding teeth*

6. El_JimBob

Mookboy, what's that track they're sampling on 'Triple Trouble' - I know it, but can't put a name to it....... agh it's doing my head in :)

:D

*edit*
    I just figured out the swirly guitar sample on 'Open Letter To NYC' - its the intro to 'Sonic Reducer' by the Dead Boys. Nice nod to their old-school punk roots there :)

*edit*
    Peeps on the Beasties board are sayin the 'Triple Trouble' sample is from 'Rapper's Delight' but i cant hear it myself.

Last edited: 8 Jun 2004
  7. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

I don't like the Beastie Boys (runs and hides). Too much like rap for my tastes.

8. penski

penski BodMod

*Inserts tongue behind lower lip and makes mong noises*

Beasties ++

I NEED this album.

*n

9. Bentos

Bentos What's a Dremel?

this album does in fact rock, been waiting an age for this album, and now i got it, yay!

triple trouble: it does sound like they sampled some form of sugarhill gang sample, not sure which, but rappers delight sounds about right.

oooh, i love the arcade gamey sample on 'thats it that all', and 'right right now now' is such a smooth track.

[edited ;)]

10. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Yeah it's sugarhill gang sample. Mashed up a bit but it's pretty obvious I think... with comedy English accents.

El Jimbob you hit the nail on the head multiple times there.

11. RTT

RTT #parp

Yep, know what you mean (kinda) - the BB stick out like a saw thumb in my collection. But I absolutely love them :D :D :D

12. Evilbob

Evilbob What's a Dremel?

I Would have to agree with the above statement aswell the beastie's always sound so 'ghetto', just got this album and it has some excellent tracks on it.. well worth purchasing!

13. El_JimBob

Thanks for the words of praise Mookboy - actually, im thinking of sending that one off to Kerrang! or the NME with a note saying 'GIZZA JOB, GO ON, GIZ IT'. :D

To be fair tho, this album has had a tremendous effect on me so far, and i jus felt compelled to say what i thought. Its really nice to see that they're concentrating on the words this time. Altho i adore the last couple of albums musically, they were in danger of going down that 'whimsy' route if they didnt adapt their sound a bit.

Its like a big brother to 'License To Ill' - similar in sound (stripped-down, early Hip-Hop style) but with helpful advice rather than playful mutterings :)
    After 20 years, the Beasties have finally come full circle with this one - its absolutely stunning :thumb:

14. penski

penski BodMod

I picked up my copy from a friend this morning. Sounds ****ing amazing.

Will listen further when I get home after work.

*n

Nota Bene: This is a genuine copy, I just know a few people in distribution and sales...

15. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

tut tut, I know a few people that have lost their job for less... :D

16. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

I was never big on the Beastie Boys back when they were popular, however this album is absolutely brilliant. I can safely say I have listened to and wanted to listen to every track on it (which is unusual for me with an album).

This is one for the car in the sun on the way back from work..

17. Iamgoodyy

Iamgoodyy What's a Dremel?

I agree with all, the album is fantastic, every song leaves me wanting more, I've listened to it almost 5 times through now.