1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Been asked to make a course using RPi or Arduino

Discussion in 'General' started by ferret141, 25 Jan 2014.

1. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Hello there

I've been asked to come up with a course to run during my local summer school programme using the Raspberry Pi, Arduino or something similar. It'll be for five days, 10am-3pm, for 11-18 yr olds. With maybe 10-12 kids or less.

I've thought about doing some programming 101 experimenting with motors, LEDs, potentiometers, LDRs and maybe finish it up with a 3x3 LED matrix dice.

I've had a long day and my mate (organiser) calls me at 00:30 to tell me this. I'm sure I'll read this in the morning with great criticism.

Is anyone willing to offer ideas or opinion? Thanks.

2. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Base your course around a book such as 'beginning arduino' or a series of sketches (there is no sense in reinventing the wheel) but set extensions to each lesson to enrich the learning experience for those involved:
    Extension 1 - modify the code to do something a little different
    Extension 2 - write new code which uses this code (and maybe earlier code) to do something more advanced

The other alternative is to have an overall goal e.g. a internet linked data logger and then work on it a piece at a time (Lesson 1 - using sensors, Lesson 2 - constructing a clock circuit, Lesson 3 - Writing to SD card, etc With a few lessons at the end to tie all of these lessons together and build an internet linked data logger).

Pitfalls:
    1) Make sure the code works for every example/sketch that they will use.
    2) For the Arduino you need to make sure that the correct libraries are either installed or easily available to all users

I hope this helps,
    Adam

3. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

If the kids have already had exposure to these devices, ignore this :

Perhaps a primitive suggestion, but how about starting the course with day 1: make a fully functional internet pc. Might seem a bit simplistic, but a lot of kids wouldn't have a clue where to start, nor understand about storage devices. Programming the things is all well and good, but a basic understanding of what the OS is and does is just as important (if not more so)