1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Beer + Guitar + PC = OMG.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ending Credits, 25 Oct 2008.

1. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Clumsily I managed to spill half a bottle (well, probably less than 50 ml) over the top of my PC. Annoyingly there are holes in the top and half of the beer managed to get down all the way to the PSU compartment.

Fortunately my 4870 is above the CPU and the heat sink is facing upwards and the computer kept running until I turned it off. I've done a cleanup of the main motherboard area but not so much the lower chambers. The PSU itself is well away from any holes but some of the wires are still slightly sticky to the touch.

My question is how long should I leave my PC for and what kind of cleaning should I do bearing in mind that I'm 90% sure that there's no beer near any electrical contacts and it's all been wiped down although there are still traces oalong some of the PSU wires?

EDIT: Also a quick OT question just in case, my friend's Far Cry 2 wont run and it was before. Anyone know why?

2. oasked

oasked Stuck in the Mud

You lucky sod. If the computer is still working and you've dried as much as possible then I think you should be in the clear now.

No idea about Far Cry 2 - you should probably give some more info.

3. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

My case still reeks of alcohol though.

4. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Did you say some got in to the psu? I'd suggest, if your comfortable doing it taking it apart and cleaning the iner case. just you know be smart don't blow up.

5. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

clean with meths, yo

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Leave it switched off, wait until the beer has dried, then just give it a wipe with a damp cloth tbh.

If it got into your PSU, then you'll just have to hope it didn't make any contact with something vital. :)

7. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Nope, nothing actually near the PSU.

It's been running for a few hours now with no problems.

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Clean it with more alcohol.

Rubbing alcohol, that is. Not more beer ;) Cleans most gooey things pretty well, and if you're to the point where you need acetone or something then you've probably got bigger problems (like dropping your entire system into a duct tape goo factory).