1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Before you post a thread for a new build beore January 9th..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by r3loaded, 23 Dec 2010.

1. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Please bear in mind that Intel's new Sandy Bridge platform will be coming out on Jan 9th. ;)

To make a long story short, Intel's new platform will be using a different socket - new CPUs and new motherboards are mandatory, and performance is expected to be a fairly significant jump over the current-gen stuff. Therefore, if you post now for a build, you will get tons of replies telling you to wait for the new stuff.

Unless you need a computer *now* (i.e. in the next few days), it's worth waiting, even if cost rather than performance is your priority. You will be able to see the actual retail prices of the new kit. Alternatively, you will be able to score some second-hand kit from the Member's Marketplace on this forum as the other members seek to upgrade to the latest and greatest kit.

You can read Bit-Tech's coverage of Sandy Bridge here.

EDIT: Bit-Tech's review is now up. Apparently, Intel pulled the NDA date back to today.

Last edited: 3 Jan 2011
  2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Thats my birthday..MMMMMMM should I treat myself?? What a dilemma to be in..lol

3. Ljs

Ljs Modder

I bet retailers are loving Intels timing... :/

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

As SandyBridge-motherboards are allready being sold by eShops it's no problem to start with a new build now actually, and the 1155-socket will use the same heatsinks as 1156 to make things rather easy for planning.

The only part unavailable atm are the CPUs themselves, but there's lot's of previews and benchmarks available to make a choice.

5. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

Don't think so, it would of killed the pre-Christmas rush of mid-range systems, buyers are all waiting to Jan now.

Only winner here is HMRC as they will get an extra 2.5% VAT on all those Jan sales :duh:

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Scarcasm alert...

7. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

90% of the people buying PCs aren't tech-savvy and still buy the currently available hardware without thinking about SandyBridge coming next month.

8. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

"I bet retailers are loving Intels timing... :/"
    He was being sarcastic.

http://en.inpai.com.cn/doc/enshowcont.asp?id=7947&pageid=7705
    Sandy bridge benchmarks are out now. For mid range the 2500k is about 20% better in general cpu benchmarks and 10% in games. There link by the side for i7 2600k to the side of the article.

9. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

Sorry missed that, Christmas stress :blush:

10. Pughy

Pughy Fancy a game of Starcraft?

Where is part of the forum? I can't find it :(

11. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

You have to be here for a month and had made 75 post's to get access.

12. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

You only get access to the marketplace once you've made a certain number of posts (70, I think? Maybe 75).

13. Uxon

Uxon Minimodder

Very tempted here by SB having skipped the first 'i' generation of CPUs. Also gives me a good excuse to get an SSD if I'm going to be reinstalling my OS for a new motherboard/CPU/RAM combo. :D

14. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

You need to offer a cheesecake to the Bit-Tech gods and hope they allow you into the sacred marketplace.

15. Pughy

Pughy Fancy a game of Starcraft?

Lol!

Well, I'm not exactly a cheesecake type of guy so I wouldn't know which one to tempt them with :p I am a cupcake fiend though and could make them some? :D

16. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I'm going to wait and see what goodies come up on the market place. Buyers market yay!

17. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Get out!!!!!!1111!!!oneoneoneeleven!!

18. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I don't think they care TBH. Its only enthusiasts that really care or seem to know about it. Im sure curry's and PCworld are happy enough flogging the i3 as bringing multitasking to PC............possibly after the iphone got it first, adverts seem a bit vague about the timing.

People who want a new laptop or desktop will buy one anyway and the Retailers will convince them they need whats out now and unless the customer about "new releases that have the same i3/i5/i7 branding" they won't tell them otherwise. Not a dig a sales people but unless you ask them specifically about something they're not gonna advise you on it or acknowledge its existence.

3 People have asked for advice yet after learning about upcoming releases they don't care nor will they use their systems for anything more intensive than flash games. Retailers will probably love it more since they get to slap "new" and "improved" and "greener" crap all over it and make a sale all over again. Even better now that they cleared Christmas stock that didn't sell after back to school!

19. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

Am I right in thinking Sandy Bridge will sit somewhere in the middle performance-wise with Intel's current "i" range?

What do you lot recommend for hardcore gaming?

20. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

A better graphics card