1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress "Behemoth" Battlecruiser by RandomDesign - Completed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by random2k4, 7 Oct 2015.

1. random2k4

random2k4 Active Member

Hi everyone,

my name is Stefan and I am a hobby case modder from Germany.

This time I want to share my latest work with you, the “Behemoth” Battlecruiser.
    Unfortunately, I had to build this project under an NDA, so the mod is basically finished. But I will continue to work on it, so at some point this will be a “live” worklog.

Concept
    Because I am a long year fan of the computer game Starcraft, I took the opportunity to build my very own Terran Battlecruiser.
    For transportation purpose and for an easier set up, I planned to build the mod in seven different parts. To get a better feeling for the proportions and the needed space for the hardware, I started with a 3D model created in Cinema4D.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hardware
    The hardware for this project was kindly provided by MSI, Silverstone, G.Skill, Bitspower, Alphacool and Gosumodz.
    I want to thank all this companies for their support and trust in my work.
    CPU: I7 5820K
    Mobo: MSI X99A Godlike Gaming
    GPU: MSI GTX 780Ti Lightning
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws F4-2666C15Q 32GB 8x4GB
    SSD: G.Skill Phoenix 120GB
    PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold S Series ST85F-GS
    LED-Fans: Silverstone AP121-L
    Water cooling: bitspower – radiator+fittings
    Water cooling Part 2: Alphacool
    - Radiator: Nexxxos XT45
    - Pumpe: D5 VPP655 – PWM
    - Lüfter: NB-eLoop – Bionic
    Sleeves/Adapter: Gosumodz
    - Phalanx Sleeve Fire Red
    - Phalanx Sleeve Tar Black
    - Alliance Combs Black

And all the Hardware in one picture:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 29 Oct 2015
  2. random2k4

random2k4 Active Member

Then let’s start!

After the 3D model I made some good old fashioned hand drawings with different scale factors.

[​IMG]

I decided to build the basic structure of each part first and then work on each part separately by applying the details. So, at the beginning I cut out all the wood for the “body” part. Here the motherboard will be located later on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also cut some holes for the cable management, radiators and fans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To make the fans perfectly fit, I had to cut some parts off and sand down the edges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This will later be the bottom plate. The fans are sucking the air in for the water cooling. This plate will later be easily removable to work on the cable management etc. Therefore, I attached some magnets with epoxy adhesive.

[​IMG]

Then, I already glued some parts together. In addition, the pins for the motherboards were attached and glued in. At the end I made a little test, If all the parts are going nicely together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. random2k4

random2k4 Active Member

Next up, I build the mid-section. I cut some holes for the cable management and the screws that will later hold everything together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And again a test fitting. .

[​IMG]

The head was the next part i started working on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And as a last part before detailing, I build the wings and the weapon/energy system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After finishing the first sawing part, I got really a lot of wood on my table.

[​IMG]

To get a good impression of the final outcome, I arranged everything on the table again. Was the first time to see the “real” dimensions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then i cut some covers into the wing parts to work on the cable management more easily later. Afterwards I gave every piece a basic sanding and made then fit better by removing some wood using my belt sander.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I started detailing. First I cut some holes for the windows. To hide the transition to the later attached acrylic glass, I made some frames out of HDF and glued them in place. Then the head pieces were glued and screwed together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Icelander

Icelander Member

some woodworking action... keep it up. Good Startup :D

5. random2k4

random2k4 Active Member

THen lets start with the head again. I made the first layer of details out of MDF. In addition, I filled the little gaps with some wood filler and primed everything with a first layer of spray filler.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I build a little front piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And even more details.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the head was nearly done. A real space ship needs a spaceship pattern or structure. That’s why I drew some lines on the surface. I aimed to be as symmetrical as possible. Otherwise the result would look a little messy and not as clean as wanted it to be. Then I cut the lines in by hand with my Dremel. Some spots look a little rough, because they need some sanding. After the final color is applied the structure will look amazing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. random2k4

random2k4 Active Member

Next, I started with the mid-section. Before, assembling all parts, I applied red and black carbon foil. Even it will be not visible at the end. But I think it is nice when you open the case, that there is something nice and clean inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then, I also cut in the obligatory space ship pattern.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I added some more details. I cut wood into L-shape and sanded the edges down. If you are making just one its fine but I needed 28 … Afterwards I glued them in place with a 2cm spacing in between. For a little more variation I attached 3 rows of wood in front of the bottom windows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here yoiu can see my workspace. This little basement is not even 1.70 meters high. But you don’t need much space to be creative :D

[​IMG]

7. random2k4

random2k4 Active Member

Next, I build some more details for the lid part. Therefore, I simply used triangular and square wooden blocks, which were cut in the right length.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the bottom part of the mid-section, I also build some more details. Here acrylic glass will be attached later on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then, I made the wings. First some carbon foil was attached. Then, all pieces were screwed together and I cut in the space ship pattern.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Mockingbird

Mockingbird New Member

Subbed!

9. random2k4

random2k4 Active Member

And more details for the wings. First I cut some HDF sheets into shape. And sanded down pieces of acrylic glass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ind addition, I cut out rings made of HDF.

[​IMG]

To complete the chaos on my table I cut 1.5x1.5mm wood into small chunks. The edges were sanded down a little bit.

[​IMG]

Then I put everything together and made a lid to work on the inside later on.

[​IMG]

Then, I attached some more details to break up the plane surface. I was very happy with the result in the end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Bygone

Bygone Member

This is gonna be one HUGE ************, but love this type of Projects. Keep up the good Work.

11. random2k4

random2k4 Active Member

Next, I started with the weapon/energy system on the sides. After the basic construction was done, I attached the details. All in all I had to cut 64 pieces. They were all sanded down by hand an glued in place with 1cm spacing in between.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In addition, I wanted to add a pulse effect. Therefore I cut 8mm acrylic glass into shape and drilled holes for the LEDs. Then I sanded the edges and installed the LEDs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made a small sandwich of wood-acrylic glass-wood and glued those in place. Then I did a short test run.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. random2k4

random2k4 Active Member

Then, I finally started with the last big section, the body. After all the holes for the grommet, fans and cables were made, everything was covered with carbon foil.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Afterwards the entire construction was assembled. During this step, I recognized the disadvantage of plywood the most. Unlike MDF it is noch 100% straight. Thats why I screwed it step by step and bend the wood slightly in place all the time. But in the end it is much lighter than MDF.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To see the detailed parts as a whole, I put everything together on my table again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In addition a quick test run of the LEDs was made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. random2k4

random2k4 Active Member

Finally, I cut the last space ship pattern into the body part. Unfortunately, my wood disc for the Dremel broke. So I used what I had in spare, a disc for metal … Not so a good idea, because the wood got really dark and I got heavy smoke in my basement. But in the end it also worked out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, I built small covers for the radiators. Details were applied from HDF and short wooden planks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then, the water tanks were attached to the top. I made some details to integrate them a bit better to the entire structure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before moving on, I primed everything with one finally layer of spray filler and sanded all pieces down slightly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Active Member

Awesomeness !

15. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

^Agreed.:D Awesome.
    I had a feeling Asphiax would find this log.:lol:

16. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

Yay handmade greebles

17. random2k4

random2k4 Active Member

Thank you!!

------

Now, I needed a power button and some switches for the light. So I build my custom little panel. The switch on the right has no function at the moment, but better save than sorry. Maybe I want to install some extras later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I primed everything with black dispersion paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While the paint dried, I cut the windows into shape and applied black foil with a with a cut out window pattern.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In addition I made a new plate to hold the GPU in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. random2k4

random2k4 Active Member

Next I build the light for the front from PVC Tubes and acrylic globes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I soldered resistors and cables to the LEDs. Afterwards I brought them in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I build a custom LED-fader for the effects on the wings. Looks pretty good for my first try on this :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I worked on the entire cable management for the lights and fans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And as always I made a test at the end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Impeccable Logic

Impeccable Logic Member

Impressive build. Like the detail. Plus, it's just plain cool.

20. random2k4

random2k4 Active Member

Now its painting time. With a brush, I dabbed on dark silver color to achieve a weathered and used look. For highlights I used pure silver paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To match the mainboard design, I sleeved all the cables red and black. Here you can also see my cable management on the bottom. Even here I applied carbon foil >.<

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then, I build the water cooling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And that’s it. I am done :D

Here you can see a short video of my working progress.

I will post some final pictures tomorrow.