1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beige be gone! (Iiyama monitor (x2) mod)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by SteveyG, 12 Jun 2003.

1. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Unfortunately the pictures were hosted on a public server, but it looks like they've all been overwritten with other people's pictures. :(

Well, I finally decided I'd put up with my Iiyama VM Pro 413 beige monitors for too long, so it was time to change their colour.

Here's the culprits (the two on the right :duh:), and a true black version of the monitors on the left.

So, off with the cover!

Quick test after discharging the capacitors with high power resistors for any high voltages...

And then out with the screws. (one in each corner)

The newer monitor (HM703UTA) had slightly different screws. The circuitry was also completely different.

Well the CRT's in these monitors are really quite heavy and it was very difficult to lift the CRT from its position resting on the floor, so using my thick dictionary...

...I put this under the screen to enable me to slide the front cover down a bit so that I could deal with a small problem I found that would make it impossible to remove the PCB and CRT from its position on the floor:

Two pieces of plastic were preventing me lifting the CRT and PCB out because it was catching on the degaussing cable.

When I first noticed this, I felt the only solution was to dismantle the monitors properly, and remove every cable so the PCB became free from the CRT, however, after resting the CRT on the dictionary, it was possible to slide the cover underneath the CRT enough for the two pieces of plastic to clear the degaussing cable, and out came the whole assembly in one go...?

...nope, two goes! :lol:

Here's the casing:

Next all the buttons need removing. They were just held in place with a small amount of hot glue.

Bath time!! It's important to make sure the plastic is clean and free from dirt, according to the tins of "Halfords Flexible Vinyl Paint", so I gave all the plastic a good scrubbing:

Scrub scrub scrub: (you can just see to the left one of the pieces of the monitor being rinsed in the shower cubicle)

And then they had to be left to dry...

Here's the black dye...

And then to start spraying. Light thin coats...

Bit more after 30 mins...

Then the parcel force bloke arrives, and tries to put me off my work by delivering me some goodies...

So I quickly put my new processor in this PC, played around overclocking it, modded the keyboard for tok3n and wrote a guide, and then back to spraying!

Getting darker!!

And after a few more coats, it was time for me to have a rest and get some tea. More coming tommorow! :)

Last edited: 16 Nov 2007
  2. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Update

Well I got bored this evening, so I decided to do the obligatory LED change in my monitors.

The older model monitor (HM703UT) had some glue holding the tri-colour LED in place, which was actually a pain to get off...

then a quick desolder...

Slide out the LED...

Here's one of them. The newer monitor used a clear LED rather than diffused, though it appeared no different in use.

Well, due to the major lack of red/blue tri-colour LED's in the UK, I had to use two separate LED's and (very poorly) solder them together.

And add a bit of hot glue to keep them pointing in the right direction...

As you can see the solder job is rather poor, but I'd cut the leg of the 3mm LED too short, so the gap is bridged by solder, something I'd not normally do.

I tested with a test meter which way round the LED's needed to go to make sure the blue was lit up when the monitor is in use, and both LED's lit up in standby. Then I bent the leads with a pair of long nosed pliers:

And soldered it back in place...

Done.

More updates to come...

Last edited: 16 Nov 2007
  3. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Nice project ... /me awaits all 3 monitors with matrix screensaver

tank i need an exit!

4. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

Looking good.

I keep meaning to do mine like this. I am concerned about what precautions to take when cracking them open. Can you go into detail about how you made them safe please?

5. the_secret

the_secret What's a Dremel?

-> nice work so far dude :thumb:
    -> when your done could you make a guide? it would be greatly appreciated :D

6. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

To make them safe, I just made sure the main capacitors were discharged. One of the monitors had been turned off for a day, and all the capacitors in the monitor were completely drained. The monitor that I took apart literally minutes after I'd finished using it had several capacitors that were slowly discharging by themselves. To make this quicker, I just used a 10W wirewound 10R resistor connected between my test meter leads, and pushed the prongs against the capacitor terminals, and watched the voltage rapidly drop to near 0V.

Despite these being discharged, it's quite possible that the tube (which acts as a capacitance itself) still has a high (>10kV) charge built up inside it. Generally, most (new) flyback transformers have some form of bleeder resistor to discharge this charge slowly. But the only time you can really come into contact with this is if you try to pull the HT cup off, which is something that we don't need to touch, so you shouldn't have any problems. If you go grabbing the thick red lead to see what it does however I'm not responsible for the consequences :lol:

Today, I've put the monitors back together after a few more coats of vinyl dye, so photos will be coming soon. They're still not finished yet (I still need to make some kind of stencil to spray "iiyama" back onto the front panel.

7. Confusitron

Confusitron What's a Dremel?

Re: Update

Har, you used both monitors for these pictures! I spotted a...something. The PCBs and solder joints are different.

8. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

:lol: I was waiting for someone to spot that!

Well done, you win a cookie from your own cookie jar. :)

9. Green Soda

Green Soda What's a Dremel?

lol, i noticed that now that you pointed it out! :lol:
    BIG differences in the boards. Its amazing how that cut in the PCB got bigger between the two pics!! :lol::lol:

10. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Yeah, they pretty much redesigned the new HM703UTA. There's virtually no similarities with the insides at all.

The power consumption has decreased, and the overall picture quality has increased slightly, so the changes are for the better :)

I never got round to doing much on the monitors today, but I'll take some photos tommorow.

11. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Good work, can't wait to see all three of them complete.
    Also, I had no idea you can do that sort of thing with LED's to get around the lack of blue/red dual-colour types.

Now I can go around changing all my dual-colour green/orange fugly ones. The ones on my monitors are just blue though so I was lucky with that :D

12. complexprocess

complexprocess What's a Dremel?

maybe you should paint the one that's already black to get an exact color match and avoid stenciling to logos back on the other two. ;)

Edit:
    Ack! All the pics vanished except the first one which appears to have been replaced with a DeArmond Pilot. Looks like she plays pretty nice. :)

Last edited: 22 Jun 2003
  13. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Well I finished spraying the monitors last week but never got round to posting the pictures. Here they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They actually came out very well, better than I expected. I still need to go into my old school to use the vinyl cutter to cut a stencil so that I can spray iiyama back on, but other than that they're finished.

The slight downside is that the dye has made it difficult to swivel/rotate the monitors on their base. They were already quite stiff, but with the layer of dye on top, you can only change the orientation of the monitor if you remove all the weight of the monitor off the base and get someone else to move the base. This isn't really a problem though because I never move their position much anyway.

14. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Very nice work :clap:

I always get surprised as to how good things come out with vinyl dye, if you take your time and apply thin coats it looks like a factory job ;)

15. the_secret

the_secret What's a Dremel?

-> WOW, i must say that is one of the best paint (dye) jobs i've seen :thumb:
    -> my jaw literally dropped :jawdrop:

16. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Whilst searching for vinyl dyed monitors for someone else in another thread, I happened upon this.

Looks like someone changed their pictures!! :hehe:

17. SJH

SJH Minimodder

LOL :hehe::hehe:

:D:D:D:D:D

18. killahgrag

killahgrag What's a Dremel?

Woah, someone drank too much...

And it ended up all over the hood of some poor schmuck's ride. Good thing that sick someone didn't have any mexican food for dinner. I've seen what happens when you mix Mexican and Beer. Kinda reminds me of the "zombie" the military guys had tied up out back in the movie 28 Days Later, if you get what I'm saying.

19. ajack

ajack rox

:hehe: I was wondering wtf this was. I like the first pic tho :naughty:

20. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.