1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Being an Expat in Dubai

Discussion in 'General' started by Guest-23315, 12 Dec 2017.

1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

So my CEO has just offered me the chance to go working in our Dubai office starting in February '18 and im rather tempted.

I've lived in a lot of places in the world, but they've been Westernised, even if in Asia - So I was wondering if anyone has experience with living out there? The only things I really know are, its sodding hot, and its sodding expensive.

:thumb:

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Don't get caught making moonshine.

Guest-23315 likes this.
  3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

From what I understand, most ex-pats working in Dubai live in westernised gated communities, and Dubai itself is quite westernised these days too, so I don't think you'll be getting much culture there. If I were you, I'd see if there are any other people from your company who have been out there, and pick their brains about their time in Dubai - including what it's like when you're not working!

Guest-23315 likes this.
  4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

5. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

There was a TV show documentary about expats in Dubai on this year. It was either BBC or C4 so check on demand in case.

It wasn’t either positive or negative in my opinion.

I think the summary is that as long as you keep as far away from locals, and thus away from possibly breaking what to me seems like ridiculously authoritarian laws, as you can, then you’re ok. But then all that’s left is you in the middle of a hot, crappy desert, with a few expats, and a bunch of people who hate you.

Guest-23315 likes this.
  6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

The vast majority of people hate me here, so no real change there then.

7. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I think the summary to you as a young man, is that if you have few ties and it'll help your career, or at least just be something for your autobiography one day, you can probably go for it.

Guest-23315 likes this.
  8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

A few? Dubai is pretty much ONLY expats in the main business centres.

There's little difference between Dubai and any other major western city really if you're not venturing far from downtown, media city or the marina, which you probably won't be. So long as you're a generally well behaved I wouldn't worry about the stories you see in the media - the general rule of "don't be a dick" prevails, so long as you don't give authorities a reason to persecute you, you'll be fine - public drunkenness and mouthing off is a bad move. Also note that they take illegal substances incredibly seriously, so you need to know what's in and out. One exception is that if you're involved in any sort of altercation with an Emirati citizen, you are 110% going to come off on the wrong end... so just don't.

Everything is expensive, but it generally comes out in the wash when you consider your net income is generally significantly higher.

I've travelled there for business on many occasions and it's nice for a bit, though speaking to the "locals" (expats), they note it can get kind of boring, particularly in peak summer when doing anything outdoors is pretty much off the table. If you're single, I say go for it. Employment law is vastly different to what you may be used to though, so make sure you understand the law and your contract in intimate detail - I never really got into it because when the opportunity arose for me it was a non-starter on account of being trapped in the US tax net, but from expats I know out there, you (and even more so for any family that goes with if that was the case) can get left up a creek without a paddle really easily.

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Young, single, opportunity. Do it. Hell, even if you weren't young and single you should still grab opportunities.

10. Valo

Valo Minimodder

Let's call it for what it is. "Being an immigrant in Dubai". Why do white people always get to call themselves expats :p

11. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Not so. "Expatriate" tends to imply it's a temporary arrangement whereas "Immigrant" by definition is taking up permanent residence.

12. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Because they aren't immigrants. Immigration implies permanent migration and likely citizenship down the line.

I think it takes a very specific kind of person to live in and enjoy Dubai. My cousin and her partner (she's a nurse he works in oil) could barely suffer a year there, eventually moving on to SIngapore.

13. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

This.
    And also this.

If you have the option of electing to go back home after, say, a year, I would jump on this.

14. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Thanks for all the above.

I sent my confirmation off yesterday.

15. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Godspeed

Guest-23315 likes this.
  16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Awesome, good luck dude.

Guest-23315 likes this.
  17. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Good luck out there. I don't think Dubai would be my first choice of places to live and work but it'll be an interesting experience.

Guest-23315 likes this.
  18. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Going out for a week in mid Jan to organise bank accounts, phones and flat etc, then full move end of Feb.

Anyone want a 1 bed flat in Kensington?

19. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Glad to hear it! As Adidan said, you're young, make the most of the opportunities available to you.

20. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah man get out there and spread your wings fella. Almost a decade in the USA here and I don't regret a single effing minute of it, even though it was hard at times. Just be careful and make sure you read up on their laws and rules etc.. I didn't, and tried to over take a school bus. They weren't very pleased..

But yeah, got a mate out there where you are going and he loves it. Sold up in Scotland and works out there full time etc.