1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple << being sued over io8

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Harlequin, 2 Jan 2015.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30655176

apparently it uses 1.3GB more than iOS7 and this wasn't mentioned and *some* users could have already lost data as a result!

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Totally BS lawsuit. Every single manufacturer does this - so why not sue Samsung, Microsoft, all the Linux developers. Ever looked at the Surface RT? Nearly half the space of the 32GB model was taken up by the OS.

Honestly, I don't think it'll get anywhere in the courts. We may however end up with more idiot notices on boxes saying "The OS on this devices uses x free space", just like nut packages that say "may contain nuts".

I think some people just want an easy way to make money and think suing over ridiculous stuff is the way to do it.

Last edited: 2 Jan 2015
  3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Wasn't there a lawsuit over the Surface using half the space.

I do think though that allot of companies should stop saying "16Gb" when you only get around 13Gb after the os etc has been installed on it.

4. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

yes there was a lawsuit over the surface rt - the plaintiff gave a poor argument and it was dismissed and sent to arbitration.

the results of that though I cant find :(

5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Surely it's the same argument being used here? Ergo, it isn't going to get very far?

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Dout it will get anywhere in truth

7. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Isn't this more a case of, users who have upgraded to iOS8 from a previous version and it's used a lot more space than the previous OS leaving them with hardly any left?
    Rather than a device being sold as 64GB but it's actually only got 50GB because the OS uses some of that.

I would have thought that on a device like iPod/Pads/Phones, the OS partition would be a fixed size and updates would have to conform to that size. Otherwise, what happens when you've got your storage full, and you update? Does it then wipe some of your data out to update the OS? Is that what the article is meaning by saying users may have lost data?

If so, then I can see how people would be annoyed, it should at least say before you start the install, this update requires xxxGB of space, and if there isn't enough free, it shouldn't let you update.

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Isn't the thing here the fact of the reduction in storage as a result of the update, with the potential data loss, rather than purely not getting the amount of space it says on the tin? (as others have said since everybody does that)

Apologies for not reading much into it.

Edit:
    Cerberus90 and I are clearly on the same wavelength :p

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Well this answered a question that has occasionally crossed my mind.
    I would prefer that the size free space a tablet ETC comes with should be mentioned somewhere. Some companies like Samsung bundle far to much bloatware with their devices which obviously impacts on what you can personally add by way off apps and data.

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

But you won't lose data. iOS 8 will point blank not install if you don't have the free space. It's a reduction in free space, with zero potential for data loss.

11. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Having no experience with iOS I didn't know this, so yeah, stupid lawsuit is stupid, :D

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

IIRC after the afore-mentioned lawsuit the ads for the Surface listed how much space was free after the o/s etc... something along the lines of: '64GB Total, 45GB Free'... it was buried in the small print and don't know if it's still there... but it was there...

EDIT: Now it simply states [again buried in the small print] -

All that's likely to happen is something along the lines of the above gets added to apple's small print, if it's not there already...