1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Benchmarks show eSATA still king

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Feb 2010.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Most "new" motherboards has the eSATA on a different controller, which is set on AHCI for you. Or simply has it by default on AHCI (like on my Dell laptop).

eSATA is growing, it had a slower start than USB 3.0, because it was something entirelly new, unlike USB which we all know is widely popular to a point that if a system with low or none of them, will guaranty no sell. eSATA is appearing on more and more computer cases, OEM's desktops PC, and laptops.

For me when I buy a laptop, as port wise, I won't even look at it if it doesn't have eSATA and Display-Port (I can stretch down to HDMI, assuming I can get a adapter (or a new cable (Monitor has both inputs)) which will all fit my overall budget for the laptop.)

2. Crazyglue

Crazyglue New Member

im holding a 250gb sata internal HDD one that can be bought right off the shelf OEM....

+5V 0.72A
    +12V 0.52A

seeing as usb 3.0 can do .9amps (im assuming on 12v) it should be able to handle 3.5" drives (unless 1TB drives pull twice the amps a 250gb hdd does, which i doubt).

3. Crazyglue

Crazyglue New Member

sorry for the double post

i guess it depends what your computer is, if its a laptop or something then ok, i will agree with this; but, my case has basically a sata cable going for the esata port to whatever port i choose to put it in, so i can put on the same controller as my HDDs (i dont need to set something in my bios for my boot drive to boot therefore i wouldnt need to set one for whatever is in the esata port).

4. p3n

p3n New Member

Firewire 800?

5. LucusLoC

LucusLoC New Member

I know that on some comps you do not have to set anything in the bios, but my point was that with usb you *never* have to. just because a computer has an esata port doe not guarantee that i will not have to futz around with settings and possibly reboot a couple of times till i get it right. there is no real standard for how esata is handled by the hardware. some have dedicated controllers, others just have an external sata port on raid with hotswap. until that all gets sorted out it will just make people cold to the idea.

esata is also viewed as a one trick pony: it pretty much only does storage. usb pretty much does everything, from printers to mice to anything else you can think of. i guarantee you will never see an esata keyboard.

don't get me wrong, for storage options esata has a lot more promise than usb, and even now it is the better choice for certain situations, it's just that it has some big hurdles before it will be widely accepted by the masses. judging from the failure of firewire i have my doubts if it will be able to overcome those hurdles. i think usb is just too entrenched and versitile to be dropped, and i doubt esata will be able to garner the recognition that it deserves in the public eye. like firewire i think it will pretty much remain in the domain of the geeks, and produces for it will be fairly limited.

6. Makaveli

Makaveli New Member

And in other news the sky is blue and water is wet!!

This is the reason I never cared for USB 3.0 i've been using ESATA since my Nforce 4 motherboard. My external hard drives don't travel often so for me taking two seconds to plug in a power cable within arm's length is not an issue. All the computers that i've used aslong as the ESATA controller was set on in the bios and the driver installed on the machine you never have to touch the bios.

"eSATA is growing, it had a slower start than USB 3.0, because it was something entirelly new"

if you are referring to it showing up on more motherboards I agree, but if not I disagree ESATA is not new i've been using it for years!

Tags: Add Tags