1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding bending 1/4 plexi

Discussion in 'Modding' started by pioneer1976, 30 Aug 2006.

1. pioneer1976

pioneer1976 What's a Dremel?

can i use a heatgun to bend 1/4 plexi or do i need something else with more heat.

2. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Depends on how long the bend is. If you're trying to make a bend tht's long than 12 inches you may have to use a strip heater instead.

3. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

propane torch, or a setaline torch or plasma cutter

4. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Those will be even harder to control the temperature of than a heat gun. Acrylic is actually flammable so I wouldn't use anything hotter than a propane torch from a distance.

5. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

how hot does your heat gun get? Mine goes to about 1300 degrees which melted 1/4inch plexi. About 1000 degrees farenheit was plenty for 1/4 inch plexi when i tried it.

6. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

About 400F will do. It will take longer but you have reaction time.a plasma cutter will just utterly pwn the acrylic and an acetalyne torch may put holes in it rather rapidly. I would use a propane torch or heatgun. Heatgun shouldn't ignite it. Just make sur you have some sort of form. It warps in other directions than you want it to go. And without help won't bend where you want it to.

7. boarderx

boarderx What's a Dremel?

do what i did. I got a cheap toaster ($15). Tear it apart and use the heat element to heat up the plastic til its bendable. I havent done a full trail yet. I did test it with a 1/4" thick piece of acrylic, about 2" x 20".

you have to build a thing to run the heat element through. I'd post pics but im at work and then leaving for the weekend, if i remember to i'll post my pics on monday. My test bend worked good though.

8. Blame582

Blame582 What's a Dremel?

we used a stove set to 200 Deg F and baked it for about 5 to 15 mins then we used a mold made from some scrap wood