1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Benefit of dual fan rad?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arkangyl, 16 Dec 2003.

1. Arkangyl

Arkangyl What's a Dremel?

Hello all, long time lurker first time poster; finally got around to registering :clap:

Anyways, I was wondering if you guys could offer some insight for me before I buy my stuff.

My main question is; will I see improved temps with a 11" x 6" rad over a 7" x 6" rad (thats 2x 120mm fans instead of one), all fans on the rad would be 120mm "Chrome" fans rated at 80 cfm @ >30 dbA

oh, and this is heatercore, not radiator (not BIX / BIX2, between DD's two heatercores)

If it helps the rest of my kit is as follows;

DangerDen RBX
    DangerDen Maze4 GPU
    1/2" ID tubing (from HomeDepot, warehouse store)
    Either single or dual fan heatercore
    either DannerMag2, 3 or Hydor L30

Also I was wondering about pumps; with the sales going on I can get the Hydor L30 for $45 from DangerDen.

I've gotten some reccomendations for the DannerMag line of pumps too though, anyone with experience with em'?

Thats all for now, thanks.

Last edited: 19 Dec 2003
  2. ArsoN

ArsoN What's a Dremel?

Dual fan rads can remove more heat from the water, if you've got space and money I say go for it, but I don't know what the temperature difference would be like.

As for the Danner Mags, they're powerful pumps, but not as "plug and play" as most, they need the impeller housing sealed before use from what I've heard, otherwise they can leak, but they're strong pumps.

3. Arkangyl

It's not so much the cost per say as it is the benefit.

I don't want to spend another $15 (US) if I get very little or nothing in return; also which rad I get affects my impending mod... the larger rad makes my cases footprint double (of course this also will look sic and generally keep the rad, res and pump further from the electronics thus making it safer...

For the pumps; I'm looking at either a Hydor L30 from DangerDen (ready to go, $50 - $5 (10% off discount) = $45) or the DannerMag 3 ($45ish + $4 for barbs + $5 for goop (needed anyways) = $54) so to me both will end up costing about the same. I would like to know if the DM3 will be better than the Hydor, I remeber hearing that both are similar but the Hydor wins because of ease of use; that doesn't matter to me as much as performance.

The Hydor L30 is consistantly 1200lph @ 0m head with a max head of 1.95m to 2.1m

I've seen the Danner Mag 3 always at 1325lph @ 0m but I've seen it rangeing from a 1.8m head to a 3m head...

Anways, any and all opinions are wanted; thanks

4. ArsoN

ArsoN What's a Dremel?

This thread over at ProCooling has graphs of the PQ curves of the more common pumps (including L30/Mag3).

[EDIT] Woot! 100 posts! :rock:[/EDIT]

5. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

good link, but I'm not a member so I can't see the pretty graph :(, I have the via 1300, it hasn't given me too much problems yet

6. Arkangyl

so... any more ppl have ideas bout the rad? would the dual-fan rad buy me much or would it just be marginal?

7. Blackeagle

Blackeagle What's a Dremel?

The larger rad will for sure lower temps. How much the drop is though is hard to say. Even with a very high O/C I'd not expect more than 5C, and maybe less, with a straight water loop with 2 blocks.

But the larger rad can well handle TECs or another block, no sweat if you wished to add on latter.

I'd suggest the L30 pump to ya of those you listed.

Swiftech's 600 series pump is, IMO, a better choice than any of those you posted, but a bit more expensive. But the added cost adds some very nice advantages to your system. Here's what the Swifty could do for you.

1. Will run off the PSU, a very nice feature, just plug and play.

2. It's designed by a good name in watercooling, just for watercoolers. This means it has good head rate (pressure) for it's flow rate. And flow rate & head rate are balanced to give ya the best cooling for the watts of power the pump draws.

Best of luck to ya! :thumb:

8. Arkangyl

yea, heard good things bout the swifty but its abit too much $$ for my setup, seeing as I've only got about $200 to work with I'd say I'm looking pretty good. Had I gone with a BIX and Swifty pump I'd have not been able to get the Maze4 GPU (well, think about getting) which was a big draw here (I want em both cool)

But I'm a little suprised to see the L30 of the DM3;

Hydor L30
    head: 7'
    gph: 320

Danner Mag 3
    head: 10'
    gph: 350

looking at those numbers I'm thinking about getting the DM3, going to some petstores on Monday to see what they got for what $$, heard stories bout $40 Eheims so who knows :naughty:

9. Blackeagle

Blackeagle What's a Dremel?

The mag 3 does have more head rate, no question there. But it also has a reputation for leaks. Not for me.

10. Arkangyl

Misplaced the link but if you put some pumbers goop around the impeller housing to act as a perm. O-Ring its supposed to be all but 100% leak free...

Also seeing as some budgets woes have hit camp-Arkangyl seems like this W/C dive is going on hold till after the hollidays, then I'm heading out to stores to look at pumps and rads instead of orderin online. Might even drop down to a Mag2 since its only $35 and I've hear lotsa good things bout it

Tags: