1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Best £50 flashlight?

Discussion in 'General' started by pyro1son, 12 Nov 2011.

1. pyro1son

pyro1son Linux User!

Can anybody suggest a decent flashlight for about £50. Needs to have a metal body and plenty of accessories!

Jumeira_Johnny likes this.
  2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Make your own:

MOAR POWAH!

Jumeira_Johnny likes this.
  3. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

so much rep, I rep someone else so I could rep again!

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I love my Zebralight H51, but it depends what sort of power source or form factor you're after. For more information than you'll ever need, go here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forum.php

Oh, and 1x 300W HID>500x cheap LED: :D

Last edited: 12 Nov 2011
  5. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Fenix LD20 is awesome. There is a pretty good accesory pack and it runs on AA rather than more expensive CR123s

6. Yariko

Yariko What's a Dremel?

Fenix is very good, I've been very pleased (Owner of TK10 and TK12), and what I've heard LD20 is very good too, mostly 'cos it uses inexpensive AA batteries, ofc it's not so powerfull but if you're not looking for something like BF3 tactical light so you could blind people, the LD20 is good choice and has few different modes, and you can get diffuser cones/wands for it so you can use it better to light up the whole room, etc. with decent ammount of light rather than have just one spot of light.

I recommend :thumb:

7. Almightyrastus

8. pyro1son

pyro1son Linux User!

Fenix LD20 is very impressive i think ive found what im looking for, thanks guys! :)

9. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

The LED Lenser T7 is a brilliant torch. I use it on an almost daily basis and it never lets me down. It has a low light option for reading and most importantly, uses normal AAA batteries (yet lasts as long as CR's). It is somewhat lacking in accessories though. What else do you want, colour filters and stuff?

Last edited: 13 Nov 2011
  10. pyro1son

pyro1son Linux User!

I want it too be black and possibly military looking and normal AA or AAA batteries are preferable!

11. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

12. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Cree XP-G's are an incredible LED, that 50'000 hour life span is dependant on cooling, and being in a huge mass like that torch will mean it will easily do 80k.

13. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

14. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Just to pimp the Zebralight SC/H511 AA battery: 200 lumens for 0.9hrs on 1 AA battery cheesecake :)

15. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Wall of text, anyone? My "considerably more than $0.02"

That's an incredibly vague question. 'scuse me while I step out and put my flashlight nerd hat on...

Ok, I'm back. Here are some things that you might want to consider as well as "must be £50 or less and have a metal body".

Emitter type - do you want incandescent light or LED light? If the latter, do you need a warm tint to imitate an incan, or prefer a cooler tint?

Output - You can have anything from 5-250 lumens from a £50 flashlight, depending on which one you buy.

Power source - do you want to run it on regular, readily available primary (disposable) batteries or rechargeable regular sizes? These are the A, C and D sizes. Or, do you want to run it on slightly more exotic cells like lithium primaries such as CR123A's? You should also consider RCR123A lithiums and the other, larger size of rechargeable lithium batteries like 18650's, 17670's, 14500's etc.

Size of the flashlight body - directly related to my previous point. You can have a flashlight that easily fits in the palm of your hand and feels weightless in your pocket that outputs 220 lumens, or you can have a "baton-like" sized light that outputs anything up to 1000 lumens, and everything in between.

Material & finish - Titanium or Aluminium? Type I, II or III hard anodizing? Lens type? Anti reflective coated on both sides? Standard glass, pyrex etc?

Additional features - Ability to withstand shocks/drops, water/weather proffness. Operating conditions such as extreme heat or cold (for example, lithium batteries don't like sub-zero conditions) etc etc.

There are so many that I can suggest right off the top of my head. There aren't many £50 lights in my collection, but the ones that did cost that little I am extremely proud to own and they haven't let me down. If you'd like to know which models they are, let me know and I will list them for you.

Someone mentioned LED Lenser. I would advise against this. The members of CandlePowerForums have warned me many times about the quality of LED Lenser products and I have avoided them all but one on that advice. I bought one of their lights about a year ago, on the CPF marketplace. It was a P7 but I sold it again on the marketplace about a month later. I didn't like the build quality of the light or the beam pattern - it was full of artefacts. They're a brand that I long to love, but I've heard too many bad things about most of their products in the past 3 years to invest any money in LED Lenser flashlights.

I can't recommend Fenix flashlights enough - I have three and the most used of the lot is my trusty TK11 Q5 edition. It's been through the wars being carried in my site toolbox every day for the past 3 years and has never let me down. It's been dropped down lift shafts, knocked off benches and tall server racks, been thrown around like a rugby ball and attacked by a runaway drill with a holesaw attached. And yet it still looks like a badass military grade light and works perfectly, just as well as it did the day I got it. You could actually give a TK11 to a soldier who was going on duty for a couple of tours in Afghanistan and he might bring it back in better condition than my own TK11. But again, it still works, no matter how much abuse it's taken.

Before I make any more recommendations, I'd like to add a few words about selecting high performance flashlights. You can spend £50 on a light which will do the job that you need it to do and last as long as you need it to last provided you buy the right one. Then again, you could spend £50 on a light that will do the job that you need it to but will only last a couple of years. Every flashlight that I have ever bought has been an investment. I don't own any "cheap" flashlights that I depend on. I'm way past the stage of Maglites and "Snap On Torches". There isn't a single lighting instrument in my collection that I can be worried about the reliability of. They're all a carefully selected bunch of some of the best flashlights in the world and I know that I can rely on them 100%, no matter what the situation. My HDS flashlights for example, are among the toughest and most reliable lighting instruments in the world. The models that I own have been rigorously tested in the most extreme conditions conceivable and have stood up to the test time and time again. They are expensive lights, but they are hands down the lights that I trust the most. If I had to get rid of every flashight that I own except one, I would keep the HDS Titanium Clicky. I own too many because I'm a collector and I like shiny things. My one piece of advice with this would be spend the right amount of money now and buy a flashlight that will last you a lifetime. If that means you have to spend £65 on it instead of £50, I would rather do so and have a better flashlight that will outlive me than only spend £50 and maybe end up with something less.

I'd also like to point you towards this thread. There's plenty more info there. And if you're still stuck after all of us have given you our two cents, you could always register at candlepower forums and post an advice request thread in the discussion forum - there are tens of thousands of members on that site and a fantastic number of them are extremely dedicated to helping first time buyers. There are several very comprehensive first time buyer guides written by such members. I should have them bookmarked so I'll dig them up and post the links for you.

I hope this has been helpful :)

[edit]

Didn't see that you'd commented on battery specs. Sorry, I should have :read: properly before replying. That narrows it down quite a lot, so I'll gather some thoughts on good £50 AA/AAA lights and report back tomorrow :thumb:

16. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

I haven't researched lights in a long time, so can't suggest you a specific model. But consider size and power you want/need. Most importantly, also consider what you will use this light for. If this is a back up / emergency light, camping light, EDC light, then I would stronly suggest you get one that works on a very common battery (AA for example).

Nothing sucks more then running out of juice and not being able to charge your light, or not having the correct battery at hand or being able to find it at the closest shop.

I have a small light that runs on a single AA, it's not the brightest or goes the longest, but AA's or everywhere and easy to find.. I usually carry a back up, but if I don't, I can still find them everywhere... and you can even buy them at a newspaper stand and everybody has some in house.

Think about it.

::EDIT::
    Oh and yes, indeed avoid LED Lenser, I have a hocus-focus model, and it's not my best light. I would suggest Fenix or similar company's. Also consider something that can handle a bit of abuse and moisture.

I believe mine is a Fenix LD... LD10 or something, small, slightly larger then a single AA battery (as it runs on that :p).

17. pyro1son

pyro1son Linux User!

In answer to your questions:

Emitter type -LED and as closer to white the better.

Output - anything between 100-200 is perfect for me.

Power source - for now ill stick with everyday kinda batteries (AA) but ill probably move on to RCR123A's at a later date.

Size of the flashlight body - ill looking for a little bigger than the palm of your hand as ive got a Maglight 4D and its just too inconvenient at that size and weight.

Material & finish - I dont really know what differences these things will make but as long as its pretty rugged thats good.

Additional features - withstanding shocks and drops would be very useful and water proof is always good but it doesn't have to be "bullet proof" if you know what i mean. What would you class as extreme temperatures? as long as it can withstand outside in the English winter that's perfect.

Well im pretty much sold on the Fenix LD20 R5.

And i appreciate all the help and advise youve given me! Thanks :rock:

18. Almightyrastus

it is worth looking up a couple of reviews of the LD20 on youtube. Nutnfancy does a pretty good one that shows a lot about the different modes.

19. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Nutnfancy is a boss :thumb:

Sorry, that just needed to be said! :D Also, his gear reviews are among the best on the Internet.

Last edited: 14 Nov 2011
  20. Almightyrastus

It was actually his review that convinced me to get one.

I watched some of his stuff a while back and immediately thought (as I suspect a lot do) "who does this clown think he is?" He certainly does come across as more than a bit full of himself but once you get to know his methodology and his thinking behind things you start to realise that he does actually know what he is on about.