1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Best 24-27" monitor for £180

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xxxsonic1971, 2 Oct 2012.

1. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

Hello,
    I've been looking for a new monitor for my new pc, i've been looking around the web but there are that many with different spec's etc, it has baffled me what one to get.
    It will be used for gaming mainly, needs to be DVI and HMDI and cost no more than £180, any suggestions?
    Many thanks.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Last edited: 2 Oct 2012
  3. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

You can find good reviews, tech explanations etc... Here

4. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

A good make of TN panel will do for gaming won't it? I think an IPS monitor will be wasted on what i do - world of tanks and shoot 'em up's and the like?

5. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

A good TN panel would probably be enough but when you have tried an IPS panel you will never go back. I have the U2410 on Goodbytes advice and it is probably one of the best purchases I have ever made. The white levels, the color reproductions and the sheer quality of the screen makes me believe that it will outlast MANY computer upgrades over the coming years.

6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I personally don't agree with this.
    Currently got a U2711 and U2311H.

However, when I got the 23", it was the build quality etc that I liked, I certainly wasn't blown away by the colours etc.
    Only reason I then got the 27" was the res.

7. GoodBytes

Your U2711 is set to Adobe RGB or sRGB, and you are not blown away with the colors in games, or at least impressed by it?

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I will admit I should probably put some time and effort into calibrating them etc.

But most people say even out of the box they wouldn't go back to a TN panel...
    I'm not unimpressed, merely not blown away, if I could get a similar level of build quality and res with a TN panel for less, I probably would have gone for it.

9. GoodBytes

In the case of the U2711 (and U3011, and U2410) it feature 2x per-calibrated color profiles done for you. Go on the menu of the monitor, and under Color Profile, select Adobe RGB. If pictures looks strange, then you just need to unload the Windows color profile of the monitor, and use sRGB one. To do this, simply do Start > type: color > Select: Color Management > Check the box: "Use my own settings", click on Add, select sRGB. Then you'll see in the list in the color management panel, which you simply select and click on "Set as default". Restart your image viewer/editing/webbrowser software.

The above only takes a sec to do.

The default out of the box setting "Standard" is nothing more than settings that will make the monitor look it's best, if it's ever on a store shelf. Because retail stores don't touch products. They just plugged it in, and turn it on. It needs to compete against over saturated TN panels, and that are glossy (glossy monitor appear much nicer on store shelf's).

For the U2311H, you need to some manual calibrating, which is to be expected for a monitor at such low price, for an IPS panel, at the time. The good news, which will make your life much easier. Is that, once you have the U2711 set to Adobe RGB color profile, or sRGB (which ever you like the most), and it is right by side to the U2311H, you can just eye it, as you calibrate it, to try and get the closest image output. It has the same back light, so that will make your life 10000000301.258x time easier.

Last edited: 2 Oct 2012