1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Best 24" Monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by InspecterJones, 10 Apr 2008.

1. InspecterJones

InspecterJones What's a Dremel?

I'm looking at buying a 24" monitor and have been reading a LOT or articles and forums and haven't gotten anywhere, I would prefer not to buy a TN panel but its doable if its a good monitor. I looked at some benq's but most of them are discontinued and the new ones arent so good. The new dell has a lot of input lag and sinse I'd be using it for gaming I don't really think its a valid choice. The samsungs seem to have issues too. I'm losing my brain over this. It seems like its a choice of which has the fewest problems and it really sucks. Does anyone here have a 24" display? are you happy with it? If anyone could recommend soemthing that would be really great. Please say more then "blah blah is the best buy it". Thanks in advance.

2. K2V

K2V What's a Dremel?

i have 2 24" Samsung model 245B and love them.

3. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

if you want if for gaming, there is really no reason not to get a TN. they are perfectly fine. the samsungs are about your only other option to the dell for PVA panel, and i think they have about the same lag. i've got a benq fp241w (discontinued, but still in stock everywhere), and i don't notice any lag on it. if you can find one, i'd recommend it.

@k2v, 245b is TN panel.

4. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

BenQ G2400W here. It's fantastic. VGA, DVI, and HDMI, 1:1 scaling, good colours, good OSD/Menu - anything else you need to know?

Good Price too: £263.39 - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139277

5. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Dell's (relatively) new 24" 2408WFP (with HDMI) is meant to be even better than their older 2407WFP - and the 2407WFP is still a great monitor in its own right :idea:

I personally take note of what they have to say in their reviews... and PC Pro certainly rate it very highly, in their April 2008 issue...

6. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

I have a Samsung 245BW. I'm not entirely pleased with it but it was certainly a good monitor for the price. Since I do very little FPS type gaming these days I think I would have been better off to give up TN response time in favour of an S-PVA panel. One thing I do love about the 245BW is that image quality doesn't suffer much when dropping the res down to 1680x1050 or even 1440x900, so you can change res instead of having to drop to low graphic settings in demanding games.

7. InspecterJones

I've read a lot of people complaining about TN's vast diffrence in color between an 8bit panel, the viewing angle issue doesnt really matter much to me, the only thing about the samsungs is that they they dont seem to have 1:1 mapping and i would also be using this as a second tv for the bedroom, how are IPS panels compared to PVA? I've only recently started looking into buying a new lcd and learning about all this stuff so i'm kind of behind the knowledge about it all but trying to catch up

I was also looking at the benq fp241vw and was close to deciding on it and last night it got removed off of newegg and i cant find it anywhere.

Also, I read the bittech review of the Hyundai W241D which seemed to be a good all around and would probably be good, but i cant seem to find it for sale anywhere

EDIT: I should say i'm in the US so the availability of things is a bit different

EDIT2: never mind about not being able to find the hyundai i searched for a more general name and found it, has anyone had any personal experience with it?

EDIT3: I'm an idiot, i think i was misspelling hyundai when i was searching for it

Last edited: 10 Apr 2008
  8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Bought a 245b for £210, works for me and is only noticeably different if you've ever sat down to an 8-bit for any length of time. Remember that ignorance is bliss: if you don't know, it can't hurt you.

As said, the Hyundai was pretty good - nice looking that's for sure, but I warn you because the price keeps increasing on it.

9. InspecterJones

Thanks for everyone's advice, I've decided on theDoulesight DS-263N 26" Its got an IPS panel and from what I read at the [h]ardforum everyone who's received the monitor has been extremely satisfied, and eventhough the company is unknown they've been replacing screens with all defects, they even replaced one with only 1 dead pixel. Its a little more then I wanted to spend but seems very worth the money.

@Bindibadgi you guys should request one for review :p

10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

One of these. P-MVA Panel, 6ms, 800:1 Contrast, 300cdm2, HDCP DVI, VGA, 1920x1200.

Blummin lovely. Same panel as is used in Acer AL2423W, BenQ FP241VW, BenQ FP241W and LG L246WP.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Damn that is a NICE panel for £219

12. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

Same panel (P-MVA) is used in This....

Although of the two the Yuraku is probably the best overall.

However, regarding the original question, you would not go wrong with the BenQ FP241W
    ________
    PRILOSEC LAWYERS

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  13. *mat-ster*

*mat-ster* What's a Dremel?

I have the Samsung 2232BW good monitor - only 1 dead pixel.
    Great for colours and fast paced FPS.

Do not really like the stand or the frame however - gathers dust and looks a bit "plastic".

Matt

WOW my first post in a couple of years !!!!!

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

After some time using it, I take this back entirely - TN panels are **** **** ****. Get a proper P-MVA with your money.

15. Indybird

Indybird Why are you reading this?

I've got the Gateway FHD-2400 and I absolutely love it. I loved it so much I made an in-depth review of it over on my other forum; heres a link. Read the whole review it goes into detail about problems I had and fixes for all of them.

Hope that helps,
    Indybird

16. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I've got the Benq G2400W (same as badders), and its excellent! It's got, as he said, VGA, DVI, HDMI and audio out. Menu is great, colors are superb - yes, even the black is black. It's a fantastic monitor, and it's quite cheap - at least compared to some of the other players.

17. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

18. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

Just as a warning on the Dell 2408WFP - Seemingly due to the amount of image processing gubbins in this screen, when mine arrived and I tried it out I instantly noticed delay/lag between moving the mouse and the cursor moving on screen. This was even more pronounced in any sort of FPS game, a lot of people are saying "what input lag" and I admit it is barely noticible on the desktop (which is probably all a lot of users use the monitor for) but in games it was unplayable compared to my 30" 3007WFP (and the old 2407WFP I had before this).

Basically I turned it on to replace my 30" screen (takes a little too much horsepower to run things at 2560x1600 maxed) and 15 mins later I had it packed up in the box again and was moaning on teamspeak about how awful it was. Then an hour later I decided to give it one last go, set it up again and after much tweaking of every setting (including prerendered frames on in the graphics card) and nothing would make it playable (for me anyway) so back in the box and straight back to OCUK the next day. OCUK were very good about it I might add and arranged a pickup and refund when I told them how awful I found it.

Having had a nose around the internet a lot of other people are finding the same issue and there are a few reviews where the lag was measured and found to be quite significant compared to other monitors (including the old 2407FPW).

All in all, steer clear if you're a gamer and sensitive to responsiveness issues.

19. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

I reached my peak of 245bw hate about a month ago and now I'm just getting used to it. The more research I do the more I think I want an S-IPS panel, which means Samsung is out . . . but I really, really love Samsung's uber-adjustable stand. Going back to a regular stand would enrage me. So I'm sort of stuck. I guess even though Samsung's PVA panels aren't quite my ideal, they're still so much better than the TNs that I could be happy with one.

20. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Nothing wrong with a Dell E248FWP, or at least mine. I would go for the one Kenco reccomended thought. A very good panel indeed.

Tags: