1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Best 24 to 28" gaming monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheLink, 30 May 2010.

1. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

+1

I have been thinking about getting a decent 24 inch monitor for a while now, and it would seem either the DELL U2410 or the HP LP2475w is the sort of thing I'm after.

I think I've found a good price for the DELL in the UK, although it's out of stock atm.

DELL U2410

This is only £6 more than the HP LP2475w

Seems like a no brainer. However I have one problem, I am partially colour blind (Red-Green)! So colour accuracy isn't a huge deal for me as I know I'll be seeing it different anyway, although colour vibrancy is generally something I notice and appreciate. The main thing I want is good, deep black levels, good viewing angles and lots of connections. With that in mind, is it worth me waiting for the DELL U2410 to come back into stock given it's good price? Or should I look for something more like the HP ZR24W and save some money?

2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I was dying for a U2410 myself, but I couldn't stomach the £440 asking. I took a look on eBay and stumbled across the following: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DELL-U2410-24...s_Monitors&hash=item2a0809cd80#ht_5515wt_1137

I thought to myself, too good to be true right? So at first I figured nah, I'll just wait, perhaps save some more, then buy a new one. But I checked the sellers feedback, did some research, and decided to bite the bullet. And boy am I glad I did! The screen arrived next day (free P/P btw) and looked completely new in every way. It also came with all the cables and documentation you would expect in as new condition. No complaints at all and it was around £130 cheaper than a new model!

3. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

just wanted to say as a side to the actual monitor, the office I work at they have professional desks and vesa arms, nothing can touch a decent monitor on a proper vesa bracket.

If any one is reading this and has a home desk set up and is looking to tidy things up, upgrade to a 24", well you could do worse than to buy one of these.

[​IMG]
    About £45 for one of these.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a pretty sweet double single vesa set up but you can get

[​IMG]

Thats a horible looking one thou.

If any one knows a good place to get double vesa mount brackets for under £80 in the UK?

That said this looks pretty good from amazon:

[​IMG]

MDM05 Multi Screen Desk Mount Bracket@ £60.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Congrads... but you probably got one of the 3 possibility:
    - Revision A00 with dithering issue on sRGB and Adobe RGB color profiles with dark gray colors (Dell offers a replacement (refurbished) monitor if it bother you... but these monitors will be revision A00 updated to A01 where also the early ones had a green/pink tint issue.)

- Revision A00, but updated to A01, basically the monitor will say A00 in the pop-up panel, but the firmware is A01.

- Lucky and you have A01.

Case 2 and 3 are fine. Good for you. As for possibility 1, you can send it to Dell and hope that your replacement screen is just as good (no dead pixels and not the early ones with a tint issue), or you can use Custom Color profile and match wither Adobe RGB or sRGB to that color profile.

5. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I am not a photographer and thus do not really care about 100% colour accuracy... This thread is about best gaming monitors and the U2410 more than fits that description.

6. GoodBytes

The U2410 is not a professional photographer monitor or graphic. Professionals, actually calibrate their screen at least once a month, if not more, to compensate the wear of the CFL lamp and LCD liquid. So they could not care less about the 1 position (center) color calibration check of the U2410. Not to mention, they need uniform backlit and prefer RGB LED backlit to get that perfect white color (LED base color can be calibrated).

Take the U2410 as high end of non-professional screens, or for those who starts and do the occasional web site design (well anything not professional).

7. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

Please add the Dell U2711 to your comparison sheet :)

8. GoodBytes

9. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Out of interest any reason not to add the Dell G2410H

[​IMG]

Seems to be a great Dell 24" for just about £200...

DISPLAY

Panel Size:
    24"(61 cm)
    Aspect Ratio
    Widescreen, 16:9
    Panel Type:
    TN - Twisted Nematic
    Backlight Technology:
    WLED
    Max Resolution:
    1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz
    Contrast Ratio:
    1000:1 standard contrast ratio (typical)
    Up to 1,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio (typical)
    Brightness:
    250 cd/m2 (typical)
    Response Time:
    5 ms (typical)
    Max Viewing Angle (vertical/horizontal)
    160° (vertical), 170° (horizontal)
    Colour Support:
    16.7 million colours
    Pixel Pitch:
    0.277 mm
    Display Type
    Thin film transistor (TFT) active matrix liquid crystal display (LCD)
    Device Type
    Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

[​IMG]

10. GoodBytes

I don't see anything special about it, reviews are saying it's very average.

- No really specially features
    - TN panel
    - average colors
    - descent response time
    - average brightness level
    - normal view angle...

I guess the only thing I could see is that it's using White LED's... so it consumes less power. However, white LED's are not good for color accuracy... high-end CFL lamp is what is needed, or RGB LED's. Normal white LED's are either too yellow or too blue... technology today doesn't allow true white LED's.

I am not going to deny that the monitor does look nice, it is fully adjustable (something rare for TN panels), and it does consume a low amount of power, which could be ideal for those who are power usage conscious, and is decently priced I guess.

Am I missing something?

11. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

cost price of those monitors at distroubution, what they actually charge to outlets, shops etc.

HP LP2475- £357.xx
    HP ZR24w - £270.xx
    EA231WMi - £240.xx
    W2353V - £126.xx

12. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

What does every one think about the U2711, Im trying to figure out what kind of display set up i want at home be it 3x 24" or 1 or 2 2560x1440 display.

I think a pretty decent PC with a U2711 would be pretty nice< i normally focus on one window for my home work as well.

Is the U2711 fully HD, so if i got a blueray would it support it proper?

Opinons on the U2711 generally?

13. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

14. GoodBytes

It's a great display... just for the price you can get 2x (or more if it's on special) 24inch version of the exact screen, the U2410 (1900x1200 resolution, but you can put it in portrait mode, while the 27inch you can't)

Blu-ray is 1080p format (1920x1080). The 27inch display that you are looking at, is what some call XHD (extreme HD). So, your blu-ray will fit nicely (it will even stretch it to fit the screen when you go full screen).

15. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I sit at a 1600cm wide desk at home which is 63inch, that would mean I could get a second 27" if required in the future.

Thing is thou dual screen is a werid spot because if you game how do you work with two screens, the middle bezil is in your way, were-as with one or three screens is the natural number for gaming, work wise 2 screens can be fine.

if you go for the U2711 that is some display thou.

16. GoodBytes

Well you don't have to game spanning the game on 2 displays... you can have it on 1 display (default), but yes I do understand what you try to say.. that the 24inch is smaller.

17. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

You could three 24" screens instead of two 27". The screen is 27 is a nice and big but as you noted you either live with the central bezel issue (which drives me bonkers) or use just one screen. I use only my 24" for games unless I can put menus and stuff on my second screen (a 22" to my right) and have the 24" in the centre of my desk for the main game window. Also works great this way for Photoshop, 3d apps, etc.
    If I couldn't afford three 27" screens (which i sadly can't) then I'd got for three 24" rather than two 27. That way you can do the wrap around thing for games that allow it and no central bezel nonsense :D

18. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

what kind of gpu do you need to run Arama 2 at 2560 x 1440 on the dell 27", obviously min is a core i7 930 slightly overclocked?

How demanding is it to run latest good games at 2560 x 1440, do all the latest cards support up to that res?

19. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

You need one hell of a GPU to run ARMA2 at that res. Most GPUs from the HD5850 upwards can do 2560x1600 decently, the 1440 version should only be slightl less demanding, but not that much less.

20. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Does any one have any input regarding buying a dell u2410 off ebay for well under the normal listed price.

For example: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DELL-U2410-24...mputerComponents_Monitors&hash=item2a08aae94f

Thats £315.00 for a zero dead pixal with one year warranty?

Is it worth the extra £135 for a new unit from normal outlets?

At the top it says : no dead pixals then below it says., . As per standard practice, we will accept return of a monitor with 6 or more dead/stuck/bright pixels within the warranty period.