1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Best aftermarket VGA cooler for a 580

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by N17 dizzi, 28 Jan 2012.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I am sooo tempted to delid my GTX 460 heatspreader and force the Icy Vision to work properly with my card! :naughty:

Don't disregard my experience though! I've tried it before with a Zalman cooler that lacked full heatspreader coverage with identical results. I'm not saying your wrong Somer_Himpson just providing what results I've yielded from similar tests with a different GPU.

Also my Zalman aftermarket cooler is still kicking it on my old 9800XT AGP graphics card! :D

2. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I'm thinking about wrapping it in plastic bags and mounting it in a pond. And chaining you to it :D

3. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Don't worry not gonna disregard considering your other suggestions :)

Will be watching out when I install.

I so want you to give it another go with full pics and results, always a good read, just no bricking please!

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

My GTX 460 is a Gigabyte that uses a 3-pin PCB header for the fan. The Icy Vision has a 4-pin! If I were to try it again I would delid the heatspreader and make an adpater so the 4-pin can be inserted into the 3-pin PCB header on the graphics cards. Removing the heatspreader will also shave a few inches off the size of this and reduce intrusion into the third slot.

Maybe a summer time project! :D

5. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

May I ask what the tweak was? Anything worth noting? Thanks

That is strange, some sites report the Gelid as having a 3 pin, some say 4 pin. The Gelid website doesn't specify. I am encouraged that somer was able to make a fan profile for it anyway...

Look forward to your attempt :) Tho the word delid sends shivers... would try it on something I am willing to toss in the bin!

Last edited: 28 Jan 2012
  6. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

If Blogin's breaks it then it's UPGRADE TIME !!! :D

With new cards from AMD/Nvidia across the price range due in month or two, it's perfect timing.

7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Fitted a pair of 90mm case fans using the theory of deeper fans giving a higher static pressure. It worked well.

One on one off for you to compare depth, SLi is a no go it covers out 4 slots in total lol

[​IMG]

N17 dizzi likes this.
  8. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

yeah ill have to rule that one out! Looking forward to trying it

9. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

Fair play.

10. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

After a very arduous installation of the new cooler (Putting the individual heat sinks on is a major pita) I am blown away by the results.

At maximum fan speed with the case closed, gpu temp reached a maximum of 57c in 4 loops of unigine. (was reaching 84c with stock cooler in 1 loop + 1 bench)

Minimum speed with case closed (have installed card fans on a controller) it peaked at 67c in the same test.

The ambient is a little lower than normal right now so I imagine it will go into the 70s at low speed during an extended gaming session but the quietness is worth it.

Recommended to any 580 owner who wants lower temps and a quieter cooler, tho you are sacrificing an additional mobo slot.

edit: idle at low speed is 11c better at 28c right now.

Last edited: 30 Jan 2012
  11. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Very pleased it paid off for you.

Keeping the heat down and low noise is the reason I went for the ASUS GTX580 Direct CUII. But the card is a 3 slot monster.

Post some pics so we can see your handwork :thumb::D

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

This sounds great. I thought about getting a GTX480 with stock cooler but after hearing about the very high temps I decided to go for one with a better cooler and will be really interested to see how it compares to the Palit GTX470 I used to have, which had a very impressive non-reference heatpipe cooler.

13. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Some pics, sorry about the size :)

5 mins running burn in xtreme furmark with fans at 2000rpm - still more pleasant than stock on song but no need to run them that fast

[​IMG]

Inside my rig, I haven't done anything with the cables yet until I am 100% with everything (gonna do some clocking)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help yehbaby, really pleased I got this, well worth it for anyone that wants a cooler GFX card and doesn't mind taking stuff apart :)

14. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

You've put together a nice spec rig there !

And that cooler looks great :thumb:

Now you should try some overclocking :D

15. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Just had an hour Crysis session running 872 core 2200 mem @ 1100 v and it peaked at 72c and sat around 69c at low/medium speed fan...

Very very happy, we are talking near 20c improvement and much quieter :)

May I ask what sort of temps you get on your CUII?

I'm gonna see if I can crack a vantage run at 920Mhz

16. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Hmm very rented to try this on my 6950 dcII cools brilliantly just to noisy for me even on idle :S if not its watercooling time

17. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Just benched unigine at 925 core 2200 mem, 1150 mV @ 2560 x 1440. Min fps 29 score 978... Max fan speed peaked at 73c. Did notice a couple of artifacts, not many but enough to realize I'm pushing it (perhaps more volts is possible? Never clocked a 580 before so I'm a bit trial and error,) If 1150 is too much please let me know anyone!

If your gonna get one of these coolers I suggest getting a little controller for it. Just plugged into the molex or card will run at a constant 2000rpm which is not necessary and a little on the loud side (tho a blowy loud not whiny or whoosh loud)

18. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

hey dizzi how quiet is the cooler as i want to get it to replace the stock cooler on my EVGA gtx 580 sc

19. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Hi Flame, sorry I haven't replied until now, recent bereavement has sucked up all my time.

The cooler has 1 speed setting if plugged directly into the card or by molex which is fairly loud but a more pleasant sounding loud than the stock cooler and is extremely effective at that speed (50s in every situation thus far)

I have it plugged into a controller to slow it down (it has a 4 pin to 3 pin adapter included) and at the lowest setting its practically inaudible and still very good at cooling.

For instance, I ran Unigine looped x 4 with a 880 Mhz core 2200 mem @ 1100mV and the temp peaked at 74c but sat around 71 - 72. Ambient was around 20c at the time.

Stock would have hit 87 easy at those settings in that test and sounded like a jet engine, this was silent.

I cannot recommend the Gelid Icy Vision enough, but please be warned about the installation, putting those RAM and VRM heatsinks on is not for the faint hearted. Tiresome x 10.

It also becomes a 3 slot card, tho I still plan to have 2 in SLI as I am sure it will still work fine with the side panel exhaust.

Hope this helps :thumb:

edit: I used Arctic Silver 5 with the clingfilm method on the IHS, worked really well. That will be my method of choice from now on I think.

Idle right now is 26 tho ambient is probably a bit lower than usual, chilly day

20. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

im so sorry for your loss!

and thats great info really appriciate it!!