1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Best ambidextrous mouse?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by exavier412, 5 Feb 2009.

1. exavier412

exavier412 What's a Dremel?

Alright, here's the deal. I'm looking for a mouse, but I had the good luck of being a southpaw, so this makes it a bit more difficult. Right now I switch between using the trackpad on my powerpoint, or Apple's wonderfully terrible wireless mighty mouse. I'm not going to be gaming with this mouse for at least a long time, and if i ever do it will be for RTS, not FPS, so it doesn't need to be a gamer mouse by any means. However, I'd like a wireless mouse, preferably one with a dongle, just so I don't have to pair it with my computer, which loves being a pain in the ass. However, if it could be bluetooth AND come with a dongle (a la Dinovo Edge, which I own), that'd be perfect. I'd prefer more than just the left, right, and scroll ball for buttons.

I don't want a left handed mouse, because oddly enough sometimes I use my right hand for mousing around, and I don't want it to be difficult if other people need it. Does anyone have any recommendations?

A quick search on Newegg doesn't give me much hope. I'd really like something along the lines of an ambidextrous MX revolution.

2. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

Hmm, that's tough. The only company I know of that makes good ambidextrous mice is Razer and they haven't released a wireless mouse yet. A quick search through Newegg makes me think that all the wireless ambidextrous mice are tiny and of the notebook variety. I dunno if you'd really be after something like that, they don't look very comfortable for regular use though.

If you don't mind a wired mouse I'd definitely recommend any Razer (other than the non-ambidextrous Death Adder of course). They're definitely the try-before-you-buy type of thing though.

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I really like the MS Optical Intellimouse 5-button, only about $20. Not wireless, though. Microsoft does make a bluetooth version of it, but I have that as well as two of the wired one (going to buy a 5-pack eventually, just in case), and the BT one always seems to be very laggy and not as comfortable to use as the wired ones. TBH I've been quite disappointed by the wireless bluetooth one, but it was really the only bluetooth rechargeable out there that I could find. The normal wireless (RF) mice always seem to work better for me, though of course you can't use the internal bluetooth on laptops to connect them.

If you can tolerate wired, I can't recommend these things enough. Been using them since 2001 or so, and they hold up to a crazy amount of abuse. Ambidextrous, perfect button placement (for my hands, at least), etc.

4. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Wired - Razer Diamondback 3g

Wireless - MS Intellimouse 2.0 (think thats the name, so many)

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

MS Wireless optical mouse 2000 is what I'm using right now its a pretty nice mouse (and of course ambidextrous)

6. computerman5

computerman5 What's a Dremel?

Personally I like Logitech, they are quite nice.

7. tommythetim

tommythetim c'mon the hoops

Count me in with the beast, i'm on my second one now since they came out.
    The wheel started sticking after years and years of abuse! It still works though. My missus uses it too so it's good enough for those right wingers as well.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Micr...Mouse-800dpi-PS2-USB-11-20-3-Buttons-Silv-Blk

Oh and if you get 1 it will work with 1 battery and if you change the batteries, swap them 1 at a time and you don't need to re-connect, some people are so lazy:blush:

8. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

They are a pretty nice mouse and aren't very expensive

I bought the mouse and the wireless keyboard for around $45

9. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

well like others have said... Razer makes most of their mice to be symmetrical for left and right handed users. I own a Copperhead and absolutely love it. glides great, and fits my hands really well (good if you have big hands like myself, so you can get a reference... base of palm to tip of middle finger is just over 8in on my hand). I know it doesnt solve the wireless problem and but i will say the copperheads "quick sensitivity" change is very handy for when my roommates complain about my mouse being to sensitive :p

10. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

I just use cheap, symmetrical (wired) mice. As I use mice with my left and right hand equally well and often, it's a necessity for me that the mouse is symmetrical :)

11. Fredrics

Fredrics Hmm...

12. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

well there you go :D