1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Best build for music making

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by numanoid, 4 Dec 2015.

1. numanoid

numanoid Well-Known Member

Hi guys
    my son want a new pc building, thing is he wants to make music, soft synths like arturia will be used as well as music editing software, what should he go for..ie AMD or INTEL...amd have 8 cores (will that help) or go with intel's 4 cores as they are the better Cpu's
    he will also be gaming...thank you guys any help would be awesome :thumb:

2. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

I don't think there are any specific reasons to chose intel or AMD, though on performance grounds I'd tend to choose Intel.

3. numanoid

Cheers landy :thumb:

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

As far as I know, when it comes to core non-music creation specific hardware, the gaming is going to be the important bit when it comes to deciding what to buy.
    Any modern system capable of running current games reasonably well will probably be more than sufficient for the music side of things.

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

We would need a budget to determine which route is best to take.

6. numanoid

Cheers guys
    His budget for motherboard..cpu...cooler is around £400 matey
    thanks

7. thom804

thom804 Member

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-c...ndles?ckMin=35462&ckMax=42328&ckTab=0&sSort=5

You can shift the sliders a bit to accommodate your budget a bit better, but all of those bundles will do the job right now.
    For out and out work, I'd go Intel, but for gaming it's a toss-up really.
    AMD has the advantage of having a decent integrated GPU so, so long as you don't want to play the most graphically intensive games, you can run without a dedicated graphics card.

8. jinq-sea

jinq-sea The Double Insulates Super Moderator

Having a studio myself, and having maintained music creation PCs (and Macs) for a long time, I'd urge you to stay away from 1337 G4M3RZ stuff. You want as many threads and as much cache as possible, so I'd be looking to a Xeon chip and maybe a more 'business'-y board.

You'll find also that some 'gaming' boards will be a bit noisey, and aren't really tailored to audio-specific applications.

How seriously will it be used for music production? Or, is it a case of a gaming machine that can be used for audio and music?

9. numanoid

Cheers guys
    He will be gaming a fair bit as well as running the arturia software with usb keyboard/synth
    thank you loads guys.

10. jinq-sea

jinq-sea The Double Insulates Super Moderator

OK - have you kept some pennies (or got some budget) for an external audio interface?

11. numanoid

No lol...does he need one...sorry never done anything like this before, how much will something like that set him back
    cheers matey.