1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best decade of music

Discussion in 'General' started by Liquid K9, 28 Aug 2004.

?

Which decade is best?

1. 70s

14 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. 80s

20 vote(s)
    30.3%
  3. 90s

26 vote(s)
    39.4%
  4. 00s

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

That doesn't make them an 80's band!!

Sam

2. relix

relix Minimodder

... Doesn't it, or ... does it? We may never know...

3. jcm44

jcm44 What's a Dremel?

I answered the poll based on what albums were released, not when the band was formed. I picked the '90's just for Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains. I'll throw Stone Temple Pilots into the mix too. Heck even Foo Fighters. Bah, I have to stop now.

4. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

Some good music in each of those decades...although the 60's should have been listed as well. And some really crap music in each of those decades!
    The Good:
    70's - Van Halen (their debut album released in '78), Sex Pistols, Clash, Dead Kennedys, etc, etc, etc
    80's - Many of the bands above really came into their own. And we saw a new "alternative" movement.
    90's - Music from the likes of Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, Revolting Cocks, Smashing Pumpkins, etc.
    2000's - Too early to tell...but some nice up and coming punk bands and such.

The Bad:
    70's - The BeeGees and disco in general....WTF?!?!
    80's - Good lord at the hair bands! Although there were some nice videos from White Snake and Slaughter. :hehe: And why is there a need to remove music and insert electronic sound effects instead? UGH! Music...rock at least...lost it's heart.
    90's - Let's all get the lead singer of our band to commit suicide! It'll be a new trend!!
    2000's - I haven't heard much good yet...so we'll just wait and see.

For my money, the 1920's and 30's were the best musical decades. Music was actually musical. :D

5. Uncle Psychosis

Good disco music is actually pretty good. The Beegees are not a particularly good example- its a bit like saying Blink182 suck therefore all punk sucks :D

Sam

6. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

I suppose. It just was never my thing. I was busy listening to Deep Purple and Zepellin and Nazareth and Lynard Skynard. :hehe: I also listened to some country & western music...since that's what my parents made me listen to when we were in the car. :yawn:

7. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Dude, MANOWAR rules!!!

But as you say, just one, or rather the one of many other great bands ;)

Does this make me as old as you :worried: :p :p

8. Uncle Psychosis

Dude, my dad's generation fought in the punk wars so we could be free from that kind of stuff...

*shudders*

Good call on the C&W though :D

Its funny, I used to hate C&W but now I quite like it...

Sam

9. penski

penski BodMod

*cough*

On a serious note, Manowar do indeed kick arse.

*n

10. GMan

GMan Minimodder

GOOD GOD! What is wrong with you people? You missed the 40's and 50's! :duh: What about Glenn Miller, Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington, Billie Holliday?. The 50's had The Platter's, Buddy Holly, J.P. Richardson, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Muddy Waters, Elvis Costello, oh and the other one, what's his name....Presley, yea, him too.

Speaking for myself, picking just one decade to have the best music is nearly impossible. There's been some fantastic music in every decade for the last few hundred years. Unless you mean the decades I've actually been around? In that case it's the decade from 1965 to 1975. :D

11. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Would have to say 90s-00s. I honestly realllllly hate 80's electonica and dance. Then again, i'm a happy hardcore affectionendo :D

12. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

1994 - 2001 were the years of quality indie and thumping ibiza classics but then again i'm but a youngster and have been brought up on it so thats what i like :thumb:

13. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

70's. Give me Led Zeppelin and Steely Dan and I'm happy.

14. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

every decade has it's highlights, and it's pimples on the arse of society.
    personal faves:

30's - glenn miller, benny goodman, lionel hampton's solo stuff

40's - della reese, bill monroe & the blue grass boys (45-48 with flatt&scruggs)

50's - too much good jazz to mention singly, first rock mutating from pop and blues.

60's - wierd decade - grateful dead's early stuff is actually quite refreshing, people less afraid to experiment with odd ideas and musical elements form other cultures. janis joplin- fat girl with a really horrible voice, technically speaking, can bring grown men to tears just with soul alone. funk takes jazz and smacks it around with african beats and syncopation.

70's - wont mention the bad stuff, would take a week. good stuff a'plenty though. weather report. CSN&Y - amazing harmony work. metal begins. Rush - the ultimate power trio. afrikka bambatta. kraftwerk beginnings - would there ever have been any electronic music without these 2? bob marley& the wailers.

80's - hiphop. ice t - rhyme pays still rocks me. the beastie boys - licensed to ill was a joke, but pauls boutique may be one of the best 5 hip hop albums of all time. 3 feet high and rising.
    then there was new wave. devo, oingo boingo. and the birth of hardcore. fugazi. minor threat. JFA.
    metal: too hairy to take seriously for the most part.
    the "alternative" thing - u2,smiths, cure, new order, REM, - 5 grat band who all released their best (and last horrible pop crap) albums in 1987 - the year mope rock died.
    the beginnings of real techno.
    fIREHOSE.

90's - jungle. drum&bass. minimal techno.
    primus.
    mr. bungle.
    the stone roses (i know you british types are sick of em, but it really was a revolution in music)
    the verve - possibly the best concert i ever saw. acetone opened. then they came out and did star sail, slide away, and sout pacific in that order. mindblowing.
    311's early stuff.

2000 and beyond - not much impresses me now, i guess im just old and jaded or whatnot.

15. maxxbasher

maxxbasher What's a Dremel?

70s 70s 70s , All the way, thats when AC/DC were born, still makin big money i read somewhere that last year they made more cash than kylie and rusell crowe put together and they didn't even release a record, and their still together. If you whatch the monsters of rock concert live at donnington you will understand . BEST BAND EVER.....

16. penski

penski BodMod

Er...No.

I love a lot of 30s/40s/50s swing, blues and jazz but my heart still lies with the nineties.

*n

17. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Gotta be the 90's+ :D

I mean come on depending on you genre (sp*) youve got:

Hip Hop\Rap

2Pac
    Busta Rhymes
    Most Of Wu-Tang (Meth,Red, Ghost, RZA, GZA etc..)
    Shyne
    Snoop Dogg
    Big L
    D-12 (Mainly Proof, Obie) (Eminem :confused: )
    Xzibit
    Ludacris
    Cypress Hill (Also Rock)
    DMX
    Ice Cube (80's???)
    Jay Z
    Lil Flip... i know i'm missing loads but i'm tired :p

Drum&Bass\Jungle

DJ Hype
    Mampi Swift
    Twisted Individual
    Nicky Blackmarket
    Bryan Gee
    Ed Rush&Optical
    DieselBoy
    Grooverider
    Hazard
    Mickey Finn
    DJ Zinc
    Bad Company...... the list goes on, and thats just the DJ's :eeek:

MC's: SAS (Skibadee & Shabba), IC3, Det, Fearless, GQ, Riddla, Navigator, Foxy..... and loads more that i cant even remember :confused:
    And my personal (sp*) fav Prophecy MC, you won't hear him anywhere unless you live in blackpool ;) he's an amazing mc tho :thumb: Could rival most of the above imo, he's yet to be widely discovered.

Other Stuff I could put most of this into genre, although not all of it, but it would make this post longer so i wont :p

The Streets
    Robbie Williams (Sum, not all)
    Toploader (is that right :confused: )
    Blur
    Verve
    Oasis.... and loads of other but ive just drawn a blank :duh:

There the main ones i think (yep total blank), although there are many other artists in each genre and others like Hard House (Lisa Lashes\Pin-Up, Tidy Boys etc..) sum Hardcore as well. But just for all the above its gotta be the 90's. :rock: :rock:

Death

18. Uncle Psychosis

Ahh, with just two bands you manage to invalidate your entire post...

Good work (or not, as the case may be...)

I mean, cmon robbie ****ing williams and toploader, you're taking the piss, right????

Sam

19. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

:hehe: Toploader i'll agree, i don't particully like them either but my uncle says there good and i aint listened to their album fully either cuz imo they aint good. Although i still think "robbie ****ing williams" has a FEW good songs :p But as you can guess, that isnt really my style ;)

Death

20. Uncle Psychosis

So you're using two bands/artists, that, by your own admisson, you don't like- as evidence of your own personal favourite decade of music?

Eh?

Sam