1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Best earphone at under £50?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Marine-RX179, 10 Mar 2011.

1. Marine-RX179

Marine-RX179 What's a Dremel?

I'm currently toying with the idea of getting a earphone at under £50, and was wondering which would be the best.

I've looked at the Marshall Minor...while it has good brand name, and sound quality is most likely great...but I'm having some doubt about the comfortness after looking at some of its pictures...so does anyone actually used one and can give me some feedback for it, or other earphones recommendations are also welcomed too.

2. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

there are 2 or 3 good pairs of senneheiser at this price point, also the best pair of headphones ive personally owned were a pair made by bayerdynamics and cost me just under 50 quid, awsome bass response with fantastic highs and very crisp and clear mid + very confortable to wear as-well, not quite sure of the model though but at least gives you something to think about

3. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

You could try looking at Ultimate Ears. They make headphones with really nice sound. Much richer and deeper sounds than those Sennheiser ones everyone seems to bang on about.

4. Silent_Raider

Silent_Raider What's a Dremel?

What will be your primary use for the headphones? Gaming, listening to music, watching movies? Also do you prefer 3.5mm inputs or usb or 1/4"? What type of headphone style: DJ-style, circumaural, supra-aural, earbud, canal, behind the neck? Headset or headphone?

5. glendronach

glendronach Minimodder

Sennheiser CX300 in ear or the PMX80 which are are almost half price at play.com atm.

6. chrismarkham1982

dont take it the wrong way but i would never buy logitech over senneheiser, although it obviously depends on your sound preference with mine being slightly warm but neutral sound hence the celestion ditton 25's ive got hooked upto my denon amp, not only that but senneheiser have long been considered one of the best when it come to affordable (well ish) personal audio, i would also suggest you take a look at goldring and grado as both these make affordable audiophile grade h'phones.
    try these Sennheiser EH 350

Last edited: 10 Mar 2011
  7. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

For my money,

I would go for sennheiser CX880 if you want a clinical and clear sound or Shure 115 if you want a bit more bass.

Also there nothing wrong with UE! I have owned a pair and they were great. Just check out the reviews. So what if Logitech owns them, it doesn't mean they are bad.

And remember to buy from a REPUTABLE source as there are a LOT of fakes out there!

8. Marine-RX179

Speaking of fakes...I saw some Sennheiser CX300-II on Play and Amazon priced at around £10-£12 with the private sellers...when Amazon itself and other etailer selling it at around £27:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1299803222&sr=1-10
    vs
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-...r-canal/dp/B001EZYMF4/ref=dp_cp_ob_ce_title_0
    so am I right to assume that those £10-£12 ones are fakes?

9. chrismarkham1982

possibly, did you if it used or new cause 10-12 quid would be to good to be true

10. Marine-RX179

That are labelled as new. And yes I do find it to be too good to be true, and there were actually some poor feedback, and it makes my wonder if people really got fake ones without realising. Like the poor feedback on Play:
    http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...sion-ECO-Headphones-Black/ProductReviews.html

11. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

12. chrismarkham1982

13. Gareth24

Gareth24 Folding = vdubs

I can confirm that they are fakes. My girlfriend brought a pair from a play.com trader for about £12 after trying mine bought direct from Play.com. The packaging was identical but as soon as she plugged them in they sounded as bad as poundland headphones.

14. Marine-RX179

It's kind of sad to see so many bootleg sellers are parasiting off big name site like Play and Amazon. If people are not careful (namely people that don't do online shopping much), the might make the mistake of thinking it is Play and Amazon who are selling those stuffs...

15. Deders

Deders Modder

I highly recomend either the Sony MDR ex300's or the ex500's, i noticed a deal on the latter for less than £40 recently, they sound better than most cams. Thay have a burn in period of about 12 hours but after that i promise you won't be dissapointed. If your hardware can output decent quality sound that is.

16. Comrade Penguin

Comrade Penguin What's a Dremel?

Head-Fi is a good place to look. They have a good database of reviews and comments from a very knowledgeable community.

I'd personally go for the Head-Direct RE0s. They're compare very favourably with earphones several times their price. They are a bit bass light though so not ideal if you plan to use them to game with them and slightly above your budget at £59.

Reviews

UK Seller

Last edited: 11 Mar 2011
  17. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

really with ear/head phones it is mostly down to personnel preference when deciding between different "quality brands" like Klipsch and Sennheiser. I usually have a look on what hifi and go for something I can test from a friend of have good experience with personally.

http://cdn.whathifi.com/best-buys/headphones

I got the CX-300 II (make sure there the second edition ones) and am very pleased. I even snagged a cheap deal for 12 quid but direct from amazon.co.uk (I checked very carefully) and they are great.

I also got a Headphone amp (Fiio E7) and the difference is amazing. Turns my laptop into HiFi quality sound, but like most china made stuff there is no Quality control. Thank god I got mine through amazon.co.uk and they did there amazing RMA (where they send you the replacement before you even post back the original.)

My replacement works amazingly. (original had no sound in the left ear on both ports, yes there are two so you can listen with your friend or significant other while traveling).

So yeah have a look and make your own "informed" decision. Sennheisers have strong BASS so if your a purist they are not for you.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2011
  18. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

I am not sure about their list

They put the Apple In-Ear Headphones above UE 18 Pro :eyebrow:

19. Marine-RX179

You sure you got it 'directly' from Amazon? I just looked, and all the low price ones are sold by 3rd party sellers...

20. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

yes I am sure. It was one of the X-mass deals like my MX518 I got for £16. :p