1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Best FPS online?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by fingerbob69, 20 Feb 2010.

1. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

CS:S easily. Play loads of FPS's, but always seem to come back to CS:S!

2. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Is anyone still playing Unreal Tor.III?

3. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

Looks like a jazzed up version of Quake 3, sounds like it too. Tempo is way too high for me though.

4. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I do occasionally, best part is running people over :D

5. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I have been playing TF2 a lot lately and so have a lot of other people too. For 20$ you can't go wrong

6. Bolx

Bolx The Dogs

That statement is so true for CS:S

7. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

i bought red orchestra last night.

Its pretty brutal.

8. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

BF2 has to be the one that's brought me most enjoyment.

9. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

bf2 is ace, god knows why we have had to wait so long for anything to match it

10. knuck

knuck Hate your face

the thing is... the older a game gets, the cockier its players get. When a game has been out for years, its veteran players will now believe they are on top of the world and that they cannot be challenged by any newcomers who all suck.

there is also the cheating problem that's inevitable as soon as the anti cheat updates stop

11. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

I think it depends. I always hated COD. Just don't like the movement. It's realistic, but sluggish.

Counterstrike's a staple, but I find most online FPSes are extremely unforgiving unless you're extremely good. You can be decent and still die from a random headshot by simply moving across a crack in CS or COD.

I think TF2 is probably the most friendly online FPS. You certainly have an edge if you're good, but you can't suck too bad if you're a complete noob either.

12. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

CoD4 is the only I really play. And I hate it, it's boring grind with no new maps, but as a game I still think it's top notch, there are plenty of servers with good rules, etc. I've just played it through a bit too many times...

13. WTF_Shelley

WTF_Shelley The picture is wheeljack

I loved tf2 until they started all upgrades and weird weaponery + hats. It just muddied the water and made the game weird.

14. October

October Mariachi Style

Just started, it's awesome! Natural evolution of 99 :D

Buy CS:S and install Insurgency (free mod) which is waaaaaay better. Community's awesome too, it's a lot more teamwork focussed, everybody'll help you out til you get the hang of it, by which point you should be kicking ass :D

15. Bonzo45

Bonzo45 Ex CPC

It's got to be CS:S & BF2, nothing can touch these two. I'd like to know how much time I've spent waiting to respawn/new round, I bet it's a considerable time.

We'll see if BC2 can beat the classic Battlefield 2 experience on friday. Still go back to CS:S every now and then... such a good game - Wouldn't change a thing.

16. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

So do I and get my arse handed to me on a plate. The thing I fond with CS-S is that if I don't play regularly I completely lose any semblance of skill I may have had.

17. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

CSpromod works for me when some teams need a ringer. If you aren't pro, stay out of my game :p

TF2 is heaps of fun if you get a good active server going with some vocal players, and a good map rotation.

BC2 is almost done downloading on steam, so that's what I'll be playing. I really enjoy it.

18. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I can't see how to pre-load BC2 from Steam with the new GUI. The install link does nothing.

19. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Just my list of shooters played lately (no order):

-Shattered Horizon: nothing too fancy, everyone has the same gun and three grenade types. No extras or unlocks or cool new features... except that you're in space! The mechanics of its gameplay are so fun that it doesn't need fancy gimicks.

-TF2: Loads of fun and very easy to hop into. Easy to fool around and have a good time, especially if you find a good server with fun players. And when in doubt... Blu team combat engi Cheesecake!

-CS:S: The online shooter in my mind. The standard by which all other fps games must measure their core gameplay. There are two teams. You get guns. You have objectives and a time limit. Go!

-Battlefield 2 (and 2142 :3): The [other] online shooter. The standard by which all other larger scale shooters are to be judged! Not many games can even try to mimic its unique and enjoyable playstyle.

-Pirates, Vikings, Knights 2: Free to play Source mod that's currently in development. Mixture of melee weapons and archaic ranged weapons. Art style is a bit cartoony making it more of a relaxed game, yet hard core players can still find it quite fun.

-CoD4: one of the few newer games which I feel truly lives up to the standards which CS:S created. It takes the same "teams, guns, objectives, go!" gameplay yet adds interesting and tactically useful mechanics such as perks without getting too over the top. Hardcore mode is also one of the best shooter experiences ever.

20. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I find it's more CoD4/MW2 that I lose prowess in rather than CSS although last time I came back to CSS I was rubbish (I decline in skill level much more quickly in the other two though, if I go away for a week I immediately start doing much worse).