1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Best Game Soundtracks of all time

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Anator, 20 Oct 2005.

1. allforcarrie

allforcarrie Banned

C&C Red Alert
    vice city
    halo
    WoW gotta love the intro music (I am hoplessly addicted to this game)
    intro music for return to wolfenstein!

2. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

MGS series for sure! :D

3. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed Cheesecake

4. lstopper

lstopper What's a Dremel?

The original question was about your fav game soundtracks so what would make you think i was talking about playing these outside of gaming ?
    and please dont tell me your list is part of your every day music collection :eeek:
    Its only you have two different conceptions of whats good here, the thread is about your fav game sound tracks, you are talking about what you listen to outside of gaming :confused:

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well clearly that's two different "good"s then, isn't it? It WAS my playlist for probably two years, and I'll add a few tracks into the playlist every now and then for something a bit different. Nothing breaks up punk rock and "alternative metal" like some latin chanting with a tense end-of-the-world background music.

6. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

I'm going to echo some of the existing nominations:

DOOM / DOOM II
    OMF
    Outcast
    Medal of Honour

... and add:

F-Zero (SNES)
    Command & Conquer

It's one of those thread that's a bit hard to contribute to except to agree with a bunch of existing posts. :(

7. fatty

fatty Minimodder

Road rash
    and
    Grand tourismo

8. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Original C&C

9. Dunge

Dunge What's a Dremel?

Hi there everyone,

I recommand you to the following scores:

- Baldur's Gate (I,II + add-on) *hehehe*
    => That's a brilliant orchestral score, with live percussion performance (~ 30 membranophones altogether) and real brass recordings and a perfect synth-orchestra (sounds really authentic). There are many theme developments, of course with some kind of "musical complexity" (no standart string-triad-wailings á la Jeremy Soule).
    The main motif (2nd, 2nd major 3th upward, then a 3th back and two 2nds down) is almost used in every cue, but in such an interesting and artistic way that it is a real pleasure to recognize it in each track.

- Ultima IX (and of course the extracts of U. X)
    => That score is the live recording of a 40-piece essemble with many strings, string-like instruments and mediavel flutes, called a "sweetening orchestra".
    The soundtrack contains plenty of wonderfully composed themes for each location (mainly mediavel towns, castles and dark dungeons) the Avatar - the main character of the game's story - has to visit. Of course there are also some fighting cues and short suites for the game interrupting video seuqueces.
    Two main/franchise themes dominate the whole score: The heroic Fellowship theme (for the Avatar's kindreds) and the dark, chant-like Guardian motif, which represants the absolutely evil antagonist of the Avatar.
    The soundtrack itself is about 75 mintues long, the average length of each track amounts to 2-3 mintues.

The 6 tracks of Ultima X are good as well, because they're performed by the big Northwest Symphony and contain a little of the matierial of U. IX.

- Diablo II: Lord of Destruction (add-on)
    => that's a really nice performance of the popular (mostly metal) Diablo themes by the City of Prague Symphony Orchestra.
    Not very long (only 5 tracks of 5-8 mintues), but quite interesting and - sonmehow - very moving.

- Jurassic Park - The Lost World
    => I don't know if you have this already. If not: JUST GET IT NOW!! *g* That's Giacchono's first live orchestra score. There very adventurous themes and cues in good and variative developments. The performance is perfect, because of the great Seatlle Philharmocis.

- Heroes of Might and Magic II
    => An epic fantasy score, such as Merlin or Willow, but more coherant and homegeneous (not so many emotional changes). The orchestra sounds very good but is sampled by big synthesizers. The opera-like voice performances (mostly tenor and sopran) are of course live recorded. ;-)

- Myst II: Riven
    => Not really an orchtral score, but still worth a listering!
    It provides you with a dark, epic atmosphere that never really gets loud, so it also carries a bit of an ambient (almost new age) flavor to it. Perfect not just to go with the game (I have to assume, since I am not a Myst gamer myself), but to work, read or write. It's mellow, but it doesn't sound common or simple. It is one of those albums you wish you could get more of, so I end up playing it once and again and again in my stereo... ^^

- Super Smash Brothers
    => That's an orchestral suite containing 15 well arranged medleys of the most beautiful Nitendo gamemusic themes (the Super Mario Theme, or the Zelda Ouverture for instance).
    The whole work is performed by the Tokyo Philahormonics in a perfect sound quiality. Although it's a live concert recording, there're no end clapping, ovation or other noises.
    I have cut them away (thanks Audacity 1.5). All!!! ;-)

- Arcanum (only 4-piece string essemble, but wonderful renessaince-like music)
    - Longest Journey (very atmospheric mediavel ambient music, with many cues for
    classic guitar)
    - Knights of Honor (full-ochestra score, exciting action themes and beautiful
    melodies for harp and flutes, the style reminds a bit on Hanz Zimmer)

- Icewind Dale
    => Jeremy Soule's first soundtrack for a role-playing game. Very creative kind of (main)theme composing: Powerful brass fanfares for Dwarven mines and cute flute cues for pieceful moutain villages, based of course on the same leading motif, goes into another in a fantastic way of development.

- The Hobbit
    => This genial game score was written by three composers: Dave Adams, Rod Abernethley and Chance Thomas, who composed most of the ambient themes as well as the absolutely awesome main theme for this action adventure, which is the prelude to Tolkien's great The Lord of the Ring novel. The main part was performed by noone else than the big Northwest Symphony Orchestra. It's really good soundtrack, although the CD version is quite short.

-Warcraft III
    => Not as good as World of Wacraft, WC III has a very pleasing soundtrack, with epic-dramatic themes, as well as some very calm and beautiful cues. The "Cinematic Suite", a cut-together of the orchestral video sequences, is definitively the best!

- and - last but not least - WORLD OF WARCRAFT
    => That's a fantasic instrumental soundtracks. Most of the pieces, particularly the one of the main locations, are orchestral live recordings. The tracks are very long (average ~ 6-8 minutes) and all in all the scores measures almost 80 mintues.

Best regards from Germany

Dustin Naegel
    ------

10. Knives

Knives What's a Dremel?

FF VII
    GTA San Andreas
    Gran Turismo
    Phantasy Star II, after playing that game for hours as a kid, the music is still stuck in my head

11. hardflipman

hardflipman What's a Dremel?

ok here goes.
    in no particular order:
    unirally on the snes
    half life 2
    quake
    total annihilation
    outrun
    hang on (or is it super hangon)
    and of course hellfire...

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ive just found the complete Streets of Rage collection from the old games and you can even buy the OSTs online, albeit they are extremely hard cause the music label went out of business in 2001.

Currently listening to SOR2 and am lovin Yuzo Koshiro to bits.

13. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

i'll have to say quake 3 rocket arena or quake 2

14. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

NOBODY HAS MENTIONED DESCENT 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

loved it, first time I ever played I was adicted to the game and adicted to the sound track 5 times over

15. Rd52

Rd52 Minimodder

1.FFVII
    2.GTA:VC
    3. GT2

16. MaximumShow

MaximumShow Minimodder

No one here has mentioned the clear winner... and that is Star Control 2. That game wins by such a large margin it's not even funny.

17. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

no.... D2 r0x0rs teh s0x0rs. end of discussion :D

18. westie

westie What's a Dremel?

C&C always had good music.
    HL2 had some good music.
    And GTA had good music in the vehicles.

19. riggs

riggs ^_^

...just had a thought - can't name a specific game, but anything during the Amiga days that was composed using a tracker...

20. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Another Dragon Warrior fan!!! Hells yes!!

My list is small:

1) Dragon Warrior 4
    2) Final Fantasy 7
    3) Command and Conquer games
    4) The Zelda games
    5) Final Fantasy X

Tags: