1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Best Homeplug thing?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlexB, 25 Oct 2010.

1. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd and WC Addict

Yo.

I need a homeplug style networky thing - wha's the best ones to go for? ideally with 3 plugs.

Do they actually work?

-al.

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I use Solwise's 85mbps PL-85PE and they have been flawless for over 3 years. I have three of them, and they work well, with actual file-copying throughput a bit better than your average 802.11G wireless.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-av-index.htm

At the time, they were the best rated available anywhere, although I dunno how their current range compares, as they only do 200mbps models now.

I have two PCs and a router plugged in; the router homeplug is connected permanently, whereas the two with the PC are in the same extension lead as the PC, which is turned on only when the PC is on.

The homeplug connected to my PC goes into a Netgear FS116 (16 port 100mb switch) which is mounted inside my PC and powered off a molex -> DC adaptor I made. As mentioned above, flawless and 100% reliable.

Given the throughput I've got its a bit laborious for huge file transfers however. If I'm taking several gigs off one PC to another, its better to plug PC 2 temporarily into my 16 port switch via a huge network cable, or to use a USB hard drive. The 200mbps models mitigate this issue quite a lot, I just don't copy regularly enough to pay for the upgrade, and I got given the switch for free, so for once in a blue moon, I don't mind :thumb:

Last edited: 25 Oct 2010
  3. AlexB

Yeah, this is going to replace a shitty wireless connection. Thanks for the info! :)

4. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

i have some orange home plugs and they are great, but i can't find them on sale any where

but don't buy netgear home plugs i had a pair and they where rubbish they kept on disconnecting all the time

5. CrapBag

CrapBag Well-Known Member

I use four of the cheapies from ebuyer and they have been flawless so far.

3 pc's and an xbox 360 hooked up and no problems to date.

6. brighty22

brighty22 New Member

I've got several of these. They're as reliable as a spanner, but I have never got above 15Mbit/s - think it might be our power circuitry :/

7. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Don't buy Comtrend.

They're the company that make the ones BT provide for free, and the first pair we had were OK, but died (they were never very fast in the first place) after a year, and the new model they sent us continually disconnect (and yes, we have set them up correctly, several times).

8. AlexB

Thanks chaps. Ordered some of the Max Value jobbies. It's only temporary, so even if they fail after a few months it's not a huge issue.

Ta!

9. Hazchem

Hazchem Member

Thanks brighty. I too am thinking about getting some of these and those max value ones look perfect.