1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals best KVM ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crispy, 10 Feb 2009.

1. crispy

crispy What's a Dremel?

I need to replace an inexpensive usb KVM switch and looking for recommendations.

I am only switching a usb keyboard and usb mouse, not the video or audio. Swap speed and reliability are most important items.

2. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

how many computers? Do you want hotkeys (I.e. scroll lock twice, then a number then enter to switch) or just a button on the kvm?

Since youre doing USB only you might try searching for a USB switch instead of a KVM. I'm guessing you would want a manual one, I couldnt imagine an automatic one working well for a keyboard/mouse.

3. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

4. crispy

crispy What's a Dremel?

Working with two computers. I usually just use the switch on the unit to transfer between computers.

I had a nice Belkin ps2 KVM, but one of the computers does not have ps2 so the kvm was replaced with cheap unit some time back. The cheap KVM is annoying due to the lag.

The Synergy software is very neat, I did not realize that such existed. Unfortunately the two computers sit on opposite sides of a firewall.

I been looking at this inexpensive unit http://www.belkin.com/flip/ and a more expensive unit http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=404595

5. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

ok so i knew that programs like Synergy existed but whats the point in having that program if your mouse/keyboard is still plugged into just one mobo. Super noob question i'm sure but i guess i just dont fully understand the concept of 2 machines sharing mouse/keyboard/speakers/whatever else they share.

6. crispy

crispy What's a Dremel?

it is about space. In my case, I have a small desk with just enough room for the monitors, one keyboard, mouse and phone.

7. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

hmm, well i dont know if that was directed at me but I guess i dont see how that applies to my question :hehe:

8. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

@sixfootsideburns, if you were to have, say, a desktop and a laptop or two desktops and not want to have a seperate mouse and keyboard for each, then you can use either a KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) to allow you to switch the mouse, keyboard and screen between the two, and KM (if thats what they are called) to switch the mouse and keyboard - this is what the OP wants to do - or something like Synergy.

Synergy in some respects acts like a virtual KM over a LAN. The keyboard and mouse are plugged into the master computer which then shares them over the LAN to and other computers connected to it with relations set up. The advantages over a hardware solution are that you don't have to buy any hardware, it shares the clipboard across, you can have as many computers connected as you like and you have set your screen to be connected to itself. For example, I might want my mouse to appear on the left of my screen when I go of the right hand side. That is possible in Synergy.

The main limiting factor is that you have to be on the same LAN and you can't easily share the same screen unless you use multiple inputs on the screen and switch them manually. It also doesn't work until the software is running, after boot.

9. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Why don't you get one of these and re-use your Good Belkin KVM? That's what I did when my motherboard didn't have enough PS2 ports.