1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Best nVidia GTX 580 Card Brand?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phalanx, 22 Dec 2010.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

2. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Aren't all 580's reference boards? If so, it shouldn't make much of a difference. I'd buy based on RAM and warranty.

3. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

think you mean RMA ;)

4. Phalanx

So who do you guys recommend? EVGA? ASUS? What about the "minor" companies like PNY or Point of View? What about Gigabyte that I mentioned?

Or even KFA2 or Gainward?

5. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

EVGA if it was me. Others have recommended KFA2.

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Isn't it EVGA that offer the longer warranty (not sure about the GTX580 though)? Also, don't they still honour the warranty if you watercool the card?

Worth looking into.

Location of RMA point of contact and warranty would assist me in choosing.

7. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

They also still do their step up program do they not? I upgraded to a 7950GX2 only to have the 8800gtx be released just a month after. Upgraded via step up to the latter. Still got the 8800gtx.

8. Phalanx

EVGA have the Step Up Program which interests me, plus they have the Advanced RMA system and the 10 Year Warranty.

I guess my mind is made up :)

9. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

back in the day, EVGA warranty covered even overclocking.... not sure if thats the case now.
    other than that, who ever gives the best warranty and price

10. bagman

bagman Minimodder

evga covers everything ( apart from you smashing it up with a hammer) all they ask is that you set you set your graphics card to stock speeds and even that is quite flexible

evga get my recommendation really worth spending that little bit more for so much more

11. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Every one of them are reference. Personally I'd go for stock clock speed and availability...

Most warranties are at least three years anymore, which is longer than most people will keep a card (and manufacturers will produce a card) anyway. Higher stock clock usually relates to higher binning and potential overclocking as well.

I'm expecting my MSI GTX 580 OC on Thursday. Fastest stock clock speed and cheapest price out of all the cards on newegg (though they changed the price directly after I ordered mine), and it's got a three year warranty.

12. mecblade

mecblade 14 year old Technophile

Some have overclocked it (by like 3-5% *facepalm*) but it's not worth the price. Go for the Evga one with the awesome RMA policy :)

13. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

The Msi has a six percent overclock for the same price as the EVGA's base model...

As I said before, I'd rather have the stock overclock and higher binning. Five years from now if it finally blows up I'm 100% sure I would be ready for an upgrade anyway. If it blows up within three years, I'll get it replaced.

That's my $0.02 anyway.

14. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Evga all the way for benchers and modders

15. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

What does EVGA have to do with modding or benching? Once again, every card is reference. Overclock is luck of the draw for any brand, and no one brand will overclock better than another unless it uses a BIOS that allows more voltage (in which case the ASUS card would be better than the EVGA according to a test on X-S, as it allows a higher voltage).

16. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Have you read their returns policy basicly anything goes short of smashing it up

17. bagman

bagman Minimodder

the thing is most companies warranty gets taken off your card, when you over volt the card, over clock it, take off the cooler or water cool your card, evga also has a very good RMA service and if your card brakes and they don't have another replace ment they give you a better card so to me it is worth spending that £20 more for a better service

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i bought my one depend on RMA location.

KFA2, Zotac are two i know has warehouse in UK. im sure big motherboard manufacturers will also have RMA centres in UK.

19. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

We need a (stickied) thread on this forum that lists GPU vendors, their warranties and conditions, and the location of their RMA centre tbh. Would make it much easier in providing customers with the best brands to choose from.

20. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

Asus. advantage is the voltage tweak.