1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Best post-apocalyptic game?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Picarro, 10 Jun 2012.

1. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Hi guys

I seem to have revived the post-apocalyptic gene in my body. After having watched The Road, The Book of Eli and I Am Legend I seem to have found a thirst for post-apocalypticism. Can you recommend any good post-apocalyptic games? I have tried both the Fallout series and the STALKER series and I like them both. Can you recommend me anything like that? I am not a huge fan of zombie-splatter-kill-'em-all games, but not really into the whole singleplayer RPG game. I want something I can jump quite quickly into which will not require me to spend hours reading up on stories and creating a character.

2. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

Keep an eye out for "the last of us" on PS3. In the meantime, i guess you could try something called "fallen earth" which is an mmo. i've never played it but it seems to capture that post apocalyptic feel. It's F2P and on steam so it can't hurt to try it out i guess.

3. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Ive just started playing Fallen Earth again (Played from release for a couple of months, tbh it wasnt worth the costs then and was hugely buggy!) Its a bit of a grind, the crafting system is done in real time, so to make a belt takes 10ish minutes more complex things can take hours, But you can still play the game while its crafting, or log out and hope its finished when you log back in.

You can still play it casually and have fun, roaming the wilderness scavenging or hunting.

I highly recommend it and now its free theres no excuse not to give it a try.

P.S Alienware are giving away keys for a free ingame semi auto scoped rifle with 1000 ammo to help you on your way.

4. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

I'd also recommend Rage and Borderlands. Both are not like Stalker or Fallout, but then that's not a bad thing.

I've not played Rage much as I got an ATI card, and it does have its issues, but the graphics are superb. The terrain and the atmosphere are extremely well done imho.

Borderlands is more of a caricature of a post-apocalyptic world, but it's a lot of fun.

5. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is really good.

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

FE is horrible. The servers are always overloaded so there are too many people going for the same quest items, and they still haven't fixed the lag.

I found borderlands fairly dull personally, even in CO-OP.

Rage is good, but too short.

Metro 2033 perhaps? Its quite fun, if a bit annoying at times (like running out of gas masks). Looks stunning too.

7. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

Yes! I loved that game mainly because it dispenses with the standard muted brown colour palette of the post-apocalyptic genre and replaces it with beautifully rich, bright, vivid levels and backgrounds.

It's a heck of a lot of fun, a shame it was ignored by almost everyone.

Oh and it's the story of the Monkey tv show from the 80's.

8. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

There's Wasteland Angel, which is an old school top down car battle type game. Its not a bad game for some quick fun. Also Afterfall Insanity is post apocalyptic setting, but more of a survival horror. I also recommend Rage and Metro 2033. Stretching a bit for Singularity not post apoc, but in a ruined setting most of the time. Still a great fps game you should play if you haven't.
    Also, hit up the wiki list...

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

STALKER and the old Fallout games are great for this. Metro ain't half bad either.

10. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Fallout new vegas for the book of eli feel

11. Zeameth

Zeameth What's a Dremel?

Metro will fit right in to your needs :)

12. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

13. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Metro. Have not got round to finishing it myself. But i have played fair bit and the graphics are outstanding. And the way the currency works with bullets is great. Worth playing through if you get the chance and it wont be very expensive to pick up just now. Also it might be worth noting that there is a new metro coming out soon so it will set you up just nicely for that if you like it. Other than that RAGE is quite good although i found it got slightly repetitive with the racing.

Bill

14. silky

silky What's a Dremel?

Fallout 1 and 2!

15. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

The thing that really got me when I first played Stalker, was how eerie the game felt. It was a feeling I've not had from a PC game before or since. I think getting that sort of emotion is key to getting post-apocalyptic right.

16. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Half Life 2.

17. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Metro 2033. I would say Borderlands, but it turns into one of the most boring games I have ever played after a while. Try it if you can get it cheap, it is good for a few hours.

18. Sviatoslav

Sviatoslav What's a Dremel?

Metro 2033 if your comp can manage it on any reasonable quality;
    Borderlands 2 just came out and seems to be less boring than the first Borderlands (I actually fell asleep in my chair playing it once) :yawn:;
    I would start playing Fallout from the very first game, just to see how awesome it used to be ;
    Stalker, just make sure you fully patch and mod it, otherwise you are up for a bad and jumpy experience;
    I would say not to touch Fallen Earth with a barge pole if you care at all for any reasonable graphics and it also has rather counterintuitive controls, it is, however, free to play on Steam now!

19. Kraemer

Kraemer What's a Dremel?

I don't know if you own a PS3 but I played the demo for "I Am Alive" and that seemed really good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Alive

Otherwise I agree with everyone else on their posts. Especially for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

20. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

Make sure you also check out Krater. It was released on steam a few days ago and looks pretty cool. I'll pick it up during the inevitable summer steam sale.