1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals "Best" Racing Wheel

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Marvin-HHGTTG, 13 Mar 2012.

1. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

I use the term "best" advisedly as it depends upon circumstance...

Anyway, my G25 is nearing the end of its life I feel (it's 4 years old now, and has spent the last year with a 350mm custom wheel on it, which I don't think have done anything for the FFB motors), and so I'm looking for a replacement. With C.A.R.S looking good (bought a full profile), and with an urge to get back into Dirt 3 and actually finish it, plus maybe to get into some more serious racing games, I'd like to replace my current wheel.

Obviously, I could just get a G27, but there are other brands available, and I also dislike the standard gearbox on G25/G27s (even after mods they feel weedy, and when desk-mounted the G25 gearbox sits far too high). I'm not a massive fan of the pedals either (lack of adjustment, and the angle is just "wrong").

So, I've had a look at Fanatec's wheels, and a GT3 RS is looking good, and has a myriad of improvements over the G25.

This is where I'm stuck however, I know that Thrustmaster also do wheels, but apart from those I'm quite in the dark as to who does what when it comes to decent wheel sets.

I'm not averse to spending a good bit of money if required, but I'm not serious enough to start spending a fortune either. I think the £300 mark as an upper limit for the wheel and gearbox (and pedals if not G25-compatible) is about right.

TL,DR; new wheel besides Logitech, who makes great wheels? Budget £300 max for set (unless wheel is G25-pedal-compatible).

So, any suggestions?

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Fanatec GT3 RS is amazing with the clubsport pedals!

3. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I was put off the G27 by the plastic framed pedals and the apparent deadzone issue that u can't adjust. I purchased Porsche 911 GT3 RS V2 clubsport edition and got it last week. Fanatec dispatched to UK same day I placed the order.

Wheel and pedals feel solid. No competition really.

4. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

Well that's good to know, any impressions of the gearboxes?

5. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I didn't buy the gearstick. I just use the up down paddles on the wheel. The gearstick is fairly inexpensive to purchase though but not sure I need it.

The wheel paddles work fine.

The wheel comes with a drilling template. I used it to drill 4 mounting holes in the top of my desk. The wheel is now bolted to the desk.

6. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I am looking at the shifters and they make a horrible click when you shift :( There is a mod to remove this noise but I haven't bought a decent racing game for ages so no incentive to get one at the moment!