1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Best silent GPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Motoko, 4 Mar 2011.

1. Motoko

Motoko What's a Dremel?

I want to make my PC as silent as possible, Ive got a H70 already with 3 Silent Eagles in the case, so now im looking at getting a passive PSU and GPU.

I have a ATI4830 at the moment, which I know is old now, so what would be it's equivalent now (either ATI or Nvidia)? and would there be any silent versions?

Thanks!:D

2. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Making it silent is easy. Are you wanting to game as well though? That's a little more difficult.

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Depends what you want to use it for. If it's sufficient enough and not just silent you could just swap the stock fan for something like the Arctic Accelero and go completely silent.

4. Motoko

Motoko What's a Dremel?

Hmm well I havnt gamed for a long time on here, since I got my PS3. The only game would be Mass Effect 3 when it comes out, since I have my saves on here. What should I do?

5. Skellig

Skellig What's a Dremel?

A passive PSU?

As for a passive GPU would be something like this:

ATI 6850

6. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

I don't know the reqs of that game, but if it's a modern looking game, I would've thought absolute silence is gonna be a struggle on anything bigger than a 20" monitor.

For non-gaming, I would get a 5450, no question.

7. moody89

moody89 Minimodder

Agree with the above, if not gaming then a HD5450 would be perfect and can be picked up for around £30 now. The silent PSU is the more difficult part. Seasonic do a fanless, 80+ Gold certified PSU. IIRC there's 400W and 480W models. The only problem is they are very expensive - easily over £100 but if money isn't an issue then these would be your best bet. Can't see you running a heavy gaming rig on one of them though.

8. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

My X-650 is effectively passive because it's not taxed beyond 50% load. That's cheaper than a true passive PSU and would handle any mid/high end gaming machine with ease.

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

That would be the best option I think. A very quiet fan PSU that isn't taxed much until your gaming at which point you won't be able to hear it over the in game sound anyway.

Get a good PSU and you really won't notice. My Be Quiet DPP I never hear, never.

10. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Where as my PSU Is VERY LOUD. have to invest in a new one.
    Gigabyte did a passive 4850 so i'm sure you could passive cool that 4830 if needed.