1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best socket 478 motherboard?and budget video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BobbyMParr, 26 Apr 2008.

1. BobbyMParr

BobbyMParr GameDemon

I posted this in the other section then realized i probably should have been posted here....
    Im looking to upgrade my pc slightly (nothing HUGE) and i was wondering if anyone could recommend the best socket 478 motherboard and whats the best videocard for the price of around like $150-200 bux?

Current pc specs
    Intel p4 3.0ht
    Intel d865perl
    1gig ram
    Ati 9800
    200 gig hd
    80 gig hd

im looking to go somewhat easy on the upgrades as im gonna be building the case or a heavly modded case and i would like to try watercooling.

2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Why do you need to upgrade your motherboard? I would save the money for a complete system overhaul really.

A good AGP graphics card for you would be X1950Pro or HD3850. However, both are significantly more expensive than their PCI-E cousins at over $160. That's a lot of money to spend on an old system, when you could upgrade the whole computer for $300.

Last edited: 26 Apr 2008
  3. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

I would not recommend upgrading your motherboard to another s478. Usually, because the motherboard is the core of the system, upgrading replaces all the other parts to the best an outdated motherboard can handle. In your case, it's not worth it; what are you going to gain?

Wait until you can bump the budget to around $300 and get a nice P35 board for socket 775, along with a Pentium Dual Core E2200, 8600gt, and 2GB of DDR2. It'll end up being well over twice as fast as anything you can slap together on s478, and won't cost much more. It's worth waiting a little while to save yourself wasting $200 on a dead-end upgrade of dubious usefulness.

4. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I completely agree with you on principle, but please not an 8600GT!

5. Squadexodus

Squadexodus I got my cookie. What about you?

8600s are cheap. Thats all it is. 9600s are exponentially cheaper...

6. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

I'm familiar with the drawbacks of the 8600-series. The price-to-performance ratio isn't great compared to the latest shiny stuff, but the price is very low and for that price range the performance is excellent. I'm also familiar with the excellent 9600-series, as I own one. However, I stand by my recommendation, unless the budget can go up even further.

7. knuck

knuck Hate your face

the best 478 board ever is the P4C800-E Deluxe, which I am still using to this day :)

However it would be an outrage to pay for such a board in 2008. A 400$ machine would do much better at pretty much everything

8. mctigger

mctigger What's a Dremel?

just as the others have said, stay away from s478, my work uses has a s478 with a p4 with 1 gig of ram (just ddr), it struggles to run the booking software and outlook at the same time, everything just gets jammed up on it, but the other machine in the other office, is a s775 with a gig of ddr2, it handles it with ease! like a warm knife cutting into butter!!!

So save a bit more and upgrade the whole system!!!

9. BobbyMParr

BobbyMParr GameDemon

ok great info people thanks i will probably do a mobo/cpu swap then worry about the new case and graphics a little later when budget is little better

10. mctigger

mctigger What's a Dremel?

Good Plan Mate! :thumb: