1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Best Tablet post Chrismas

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WarrenJ, 28 Nov 2012.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

you forgot to mention that the MacBook Air is more expensive. And that the MacBook Air official battery life is 5h. Also, it's not a tablet, and you don't have any pen technology support for that mater. It is also bigger.

2. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

Your dollar prices get transfered into pounds. If $899 becomes £899 its more expensive than the air. (£849 for an air brand new around £700 refurb for a 2012 editon) the land of expense is uk lol.

Surface pro is not competing for a spot in tablet sales, its competing to replace the current ultra portables like MacBooks and asus ultras. Microsoft admitted this themselves in one of there events.

The only tablet sales it might effect are graphics and even then I have my douts as people who buy that sorta item care about screen quality over anything ( 20inch graphics tablet price range is £2k+)

Surface rt with no keyboard is same cost as an iPad in UK right now.

Surface pro with no keyboard I'd guess will be same cost as a MacBook Air.( device is more likely to sell without a keyboard due to market target, most people who want one will have a Bluetooth keyboard already setup for it)

It's a tablet in name only though just weighs too much to hold for any length of time and the design even basically says stand me on a table with the stand on the back.

Even the iPad is heavy after a while in usage it's why it's not a good ebook reader.

3. GoodBytes

Huh? You don't know the price of the u.k, and 1 British pound is not equal 1 U.S dollars.

Your point?

The pen support isn't targeting at artists. lol.
    It's for you to be able to use it as a notepad, or more specifically use your desktop apps that don't have large buttons.

k, so. The Surface RT has true USB port, expendable storage, more powerful OS, HDMI out, twice the RAM, good enough processor and Office (still in beta, but sure beats having nothing). So you still get better value with the Surafce RT.

No keyboard will be included, but the pen is.

It's funny, but no one complained about convertible tablet weight. People are fine with them, and they weight 3 to 4 pounds. I am sorry but you don't walk on the screen carrying and using an iPad as you walk, like an idiot.

unless you are like this guy:
    [​IMG]

Microsoft never said it was an eBook reader, like Apple pushed.

4. fdbh96

fdbh96 New Member

I would probably go for a surface, but your missing out on an ipad ;)

5. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

I see no one has mentioned the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, and I have one been using it and it's just like the nexus 7 its just received the jelly bean update which makes it a pleasure to use also Samsung are offering a £30 cash back which makes it around the £110 mark. Also with the cash back offer they send you a 8gb microSD card which will bump the capacity to 16gb

6. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Wow... we get it. Funnily enough, all I want to do with the Nexus 7 is browse the Internet and watch a movie or two on holiday.

Yep... I bought it for browsing the net on something that isn't as tiny as my phone, which is super annoying for browsing.

If I want to do all those other things I'll use my free work laptop because other than having a desktop for gaming and a table for browsing, I don't need any of that **** outside of work.

I literally couldn't package you up a **** and care about microwave ovens filled with aerosol whipped cream. Not Interested. Let's fight about it. lol

Edit: Do you ever use a tablet? How many times have you found yourself saying, I thought this was light, but **** my wrist aches... I can't get comfortable.

It's horses for courses mate.

Last edited: 30 Nov 2012
  7. GoodBytes

My post was not aimed at you, or the OP.
    It was just to mention it. I already presented my view, where I suggested an Android tablet or Surface (not the Pro).

I mentioned the Surface Pro, just in case someone or the OP was interested... I thought that maybe he or someone here might be also thinking of buying a laptop as well, and that the Surface Pro, might be a good (we have to see reviews first, of course), an interesting product that could fit both needs.

8. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I guess in our own roundabout ways we sought balance. Edit: to help people

I will say the surface is compelling. But it is a matter of what you are going to do with it. If you are sitting pretty on a laptop already with ssd the Surface may seem an unnecessary extravagance.

9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

This...

I just bought two Samsung Galaxy Tab 2's, a 7" for my daughter and a 10.1" for my boy (6yrs & 8yrs old). The cheaper price, the cashback and the ability to add an SD card sold them to me over the Nexus models. The cashback offer ends on 31/12/12 iirc.

Given that they will primarily be used as movie and music players for trips in the car and holidays, the storage will be used. Also they will be used by my kids, the higher screen resolution and faster CPU of the Nexus wouldn't be noticed by them. Some reviews say that the Samsung screen has better brightness than the Google but ymmv.

To be honest, if the Nexus came with an SD slot my decision would of been tough, even if they are more expensive than the Samsung's.

Lastly, I had to get them before xmas so waiting until afterwards wasn't an option.

If you don't need any more storage than is offered by the Nexus then get one of those if it is for yourself and you can afford it. Remember that a 32GB tablet doesn't have 32GB available to use, the O/S etc takes some of that.

10. Kovoet

Kovoet New Member

Love my nexus tablet. I looked at the galaxy as anyone who knows me I love Samsung but the nexus won me over. Updates with my nexus is regular and the android market is huge.

11. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Member

The Galaxy tabs are still cool, the main selling point being the cash back, but the nexus still does it for me. Both great products in my opinion, which ever you go for...

12. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

I have both now, Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0 and the Nexus 7 32gb (arrived today). Im finding that im leaning towards the galaxy and thats not because of the cashback deal as i got a fantastic deal on the Nexus but because of Samsungs touchwiz

13. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Unfortunately, on a new release like this, it's actually very easy for us to make the very simple change of Symbol, In essence, $800 will end up as £800.

Tbh, i don't think i could recommend either of MS's offerings, They look good, don't get me wrong, but i personally feel you can do much better with the other established names.

The Asus Transformer Range gets my vote, TF201 is a fantastic bit of kit, and the TF700T with it's HD Res should be even better.
    I've heard alot of good things over the Galaxy's range, so again, i don't think you can do wrong.

Sam

Teelzebub likes this.
  14. klausfinkel

klausfinkel New Member

I bought the Nexus just for the great OS support that Google devices have. And if you root it you can get external card readers and usb ports to be recognized by your device.

edit: Also here are some cheaper tablets from lesser known brands but good nonetheless http://www.mawista.com/blog/en/top-cheapest-tablets-for-students/ if you want to give them away as gifts or something lol

I'm in love with my Nexus 7

Last edited: 3 Dec 2012
  15. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Member

It voids your warrenty doesn't it if you root it?

16. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

thats like saying jailbreaking voids apple warrantys. ( it does but its so easy to circumvent that its not worth worrying about)

its so easy to un root that its not really applicable to warranty. ( press one button and the device is back to basics )

17. GoodBytes

What if you can't? like the touch screen or button breaks.

18. Shirty

Shirty Time travelling rogue Super Moderator

:dremel:

Actually, don't use a Dremel. Only bad things will happen if you use a Dremel. Use a tiny screwdriver and a spudger instead.

YOU! Get a room...

19. Durd

Durd New Member

Dunno about jailbreaking but you can normally reset Android devices through ADB.

20. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

You can reset jailbreak without touching the iphone itself using iTunes. Takes about 2-5mins

On a sg3 at least you can reset the phone to default using a USB cable and the software cd that comes with the phone.

So even if you broke a button both can be reset without alot of issue.