1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling best waterblock for 8600gts

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LouisHR, 10 Feb 2008.

1. LouisHR

LouisHR uhh?

What's the best waterblock for a nvidia 8600gts? vga blocks I've noticed can be pricey so also if you know of a good budget block that would be nice to know as an alternative. I have two in SLI so the block would have to fit in between.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

For the price of two 8600 gts + waterblocks, just buy an 8800 gtx tbh.

I know that's not the answer you were wanting, but for performance - one gtx is still faster.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Feb 2008
  3. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

I agree Bindi but I'm sure he said 8600gts ;).

Without wanting to sound like a knob, I wouldn't bother with a waterblock on a 8600gts. It just won't increase performance enough to warrant it. I'd sell the 8600gts and use the extra money you'd spend on water blocks to get a 8800gt/s/x. The performance increase there would be night & day.

4. LouisHR

LouisHR uhh?

then what brand is considered the best 8800 gts?

5. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

People prefer different brands for different reasons, but they're all about the same. EVGA has the step-up program, XFX has a transferrable lifetime warranty, and BFG has excellent customer service. I'd just go with the cheapest.

6. WhiskeyAlpha

sheniat0r has it nailed tbh.

No brand is "the best" as such, it depends on what is important to you. For sheer value, go for PNY or the like. For good warranties, go with BFG, EVGA etc. (I've heard bad things about XFX's warranty service of late but this might be a "blip").

EVGA tend to be a little pricey but they offer their step-up program as well as an excellent after sales service. I's the brand I tend to recommend to friends and family, whereas, I'd go with the cheapest, strap a waterblock to it, volt mod it and overclock like a looney. :thumb:

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Zotac (affectionately named TicTac in the office :D) Do AMP'd versions too.

8. WhiskeyAlpha

But could you sincerely recommend a more expensive, pre-overclocked card Bindi? It's so easy to get that extra performance for free if you have even the vaguest idea about overclocking.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

True - but considering Louis was buying SLI 8600 GTS's...

10. WhiskeyAlpha

Re-reading the first post would suggest to me "has bought".

But I get your point ;).

11. tomshawn

tomshawn What's a Dremel?

8800GTS 512MB - evga, BFG, XFX - and swiftech block - mcw60. Then OC over 800MHz:)

Tags: