1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Best way to copy 1tb of data...

Discussion in 'Software' started by GingerFox, 14 Mar 2011.

1. GingerFox

GingerFox What's a Dremel?

I got a new larger storage drive, and to copy it 'copy and paste style' is going to take 10 hours, is there a better way?

2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

In a word: No.

edit: Just be glad you're only copying and pasting a Tib of data. Every time I expand my RAID I have to wait 24-30 hours for my server to expand the damn thing.

3. GingerFox

GingerFox What's a Dremel?

Good to know, i'll just enjoy this loading bar, yay!

4. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

Nope. As long as it's connected via SATA or something equally fast it'll be limited by the data transfer speed of the hard drive itself. Make sure you're not running something like an antivirus scan or backup at the time though, as that'll slow it down quite a bit.

5. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Download the 30 day trial of Acronis True Image Home 2011, burn it to CD then image the old drive to the new one?

Edit: if using Windows 7, it comes with a copy of Robocopy built in.

Type "robocopy /?" for options at the command line. You can mirror all files and folders, including empty ones using it.

I use it to backup my work laptop, e.g.

robocopy <source> <destination> /MIR /PURGE /V /R:10 /W:30 /NFL /NDL /TEE /LOG:<log location>

A million times better than copy/cut/paste.

Last edited: 14 Mar 2011
    yakyb likes this.
  6. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Assuming he's just transferring data that will offer no benefits. The time taken will be due to limitations read or write speeds.

Sure it's better if the moving is complicated or you want to mirror, but if the problem is simply the volume of data then copy and paste works just fine.

8. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

The time spent figuring out a better method, downloading additional software, making images and so on will probably amount to more than the time taken to just do a standard copy/paste. :p

9. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

Even though this may seem odd, I'd use xcopy to copy that many files. Xcopy has the option to not stop on errors, which is good in one sense, if you leave verbose output off it will then tell you which files it didn't copy.

10. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

It is not about the time taken, it is about making sure the integrity of the files/folders is retained.

In addition, a copy/paste will change the file/folder dates to the date of the copy. A cut/paste will keep the file attributes, including security permissions, but if it fails half way through it can be a nightmare to sort out as Windows doesn't neccessarily copy in any particular order when using Windows Explorer.

Another problem with such a large copy/paste job is that Windows Explorer can sometimes hang and cause issues.

The robocopy option lets you log everything so you know if there have been any errors at the end. It is a much more elegant solution than xcopy as well. It will pause if a file is in use and locked, retrying 30 seconds later (in the example above). You can run it and forget it.

You have robocopy on the PC already. If you don't want to learn how to use it, simply use the example command line options I posted earlier, they are setup to mirror one folder structure to another - just edit the location source/destination strings and add a location for the log file. You can remove the "/purge" string, that is in there to remove any files in the destination location that no longer exist in the source.

Last edited: 14 Mar 2011
  11. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

12. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

Robocopy is the way forward for large transfers. If the folder structure runs really deep explorer will complain about long file path issues and bomb out. It isn't hard to get robocopy syntax worked out.

13. saspro

saspro IT monkey

teracopy is rather handy if you don't fancy some cli action

14. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

Remember to get some Soda with Doritos for the show!!! :D

15. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

Well I assume you already have copied the data by now, but in the future, you can always get a spare SATA cable and a screw driver. Crack the external drive case open, connect power and SATA data leads to the drive and your computer, copy the data over through an SATA connection, and then drop it back in the enclosure. This is of course assuming its a USB2 enclosure. If it is eSATA, USB3 or maybe even firewire than you aren't going to save anytime, or little time, by doing that. 10hrs for 1TB sounds like USB2 to me (~30MB/sec).

Just think what it would be like over fast ethernet...35-40hrs :(

16. fulei1979

fulei1979 What's a Dremel?

There is a software called fastcopy which I found very useful for copy small files. Hope it helps.