1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Bethesda softworks VR!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Stanley Tweedle, 13 Jun 2016.

1. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

2. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

"Fallabout 4" - made me chuckle.

3. Stanley Tweedle

You're not taking this seriously are you....

I think you should ask Chris Roberts when he's bringing VR back to SC...

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Sometime after release. It would be nice to have it at release, but it's going to need some tweaking (FPS sections are almost a no-go, canned animations will need to be replaced, etc).

5. Stanley Tweedle

The FPS nausea hysteria has to die down.

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

It's not going to 'die down' until an effective solution for vection-induced vestibular mismatch is developed. Thus far, it has not. Most existing research on motion-sickness is not applicable to this problem, as that targets suppression of the the vestibular system, which is the opposite of the problem with sim sickness.

You have an iron stomach, good for you. The majority of the population will experience simulator sickness on initial exposure to an environment with vection-induced vestibular mismatch, and some may never adapt no matter the exposure. Selling a game to half the population with the caveat "just keep playing, after a few hundred hours you [probably won't feel ill any more!" is not viable.

7. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

I bought a bicycle once. It didn't even stay upright automatically, which made me fall off and hurt myself. I gave it up. Technology should do everything for me. I'm glad bikes were just a fad.

8. Stanley Tweedle

It all depends on the game and the individual. Some get used to a particular VR experience within a week or two. Sure there are more extreme cases but should we design games solely around them?

I think at this point we don't have an accurate picture of nausea statistics. VR users who experience nausea seem to be very vocal about it though with hostile rants on steam towards the game devs. It's therefore interesting to see those games that are more likely to induce nausea receiving overwhelmingly positive feedback.

9. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

You should have got the Stabilisers DLC! :D

10. Stanley Tweedle

[​IMG]

11. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

We've got a few decades of data from flight simulators, and those are a more 'comfortable' use-case than with HMDs (physical cockpit to reduce vection, often accompanying partial vestibular simulation with motion platforms). Self-selected for pilots who already have an above-average tolerance for motion, population who experience sim-sickness initially is around 60% to 90% depending on reporting method (self-reporting can be variable), After an accommodation period of a few hundred hours, that drops to around 10%-20% population with 'permanent' sim-sickness symptoms. This accommodation does not persist between simulators, which indicates that you can get your 'VR legs' in one particular locomotion system on one game, but still feel ill in another game.

Sure, you can just go "screw all those pansies, I want my FPS!", but you're going to have to deal with both the completely correct accusation of "this game will make most people feel ill", and with targeting the subset of the market willing to put the time in to feel comfortable using your game. In the current state of the VR market (absolutely tiny install base, still vendor-supported and very vulnerable to a crash on poor public perception) few are going to make that gamble.

12. Stanley Tweedle

For the spew crowd they can teleport wherever they want (venus for example). Teleport should ease their pain. Some games can accommodate different move mechanics I guess.