1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding BETTER THAN A DREMAL

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bbigboy101011, 25 Dec 2004.

1. belier

belier What's a Dremel?

I find the title of this thread both erroneous and sacrilegious.

I've tried tin snips on several projects, and while the cutting is certainly quicker, the speed factor is rather hampered by the need for percision.

Tin snips DO make a rocking doorstop though.

:dremel: :dremel: :dremel: :dremel: :dremel: :dremel: :dremel:

2. Whisp[TR]

Whisp[TR] What's a Dremel?

The scary part is that his dad who works in the metal industry told him to do so lol.

I can only see tinsnips being used on straight cuts and a thats about it.

Better then a dremel. I think NOT

3. Nitro_APBT

Nitro_APBT SpiderModder

This is my first post here, so HI!

Anyway, If you can't cut metal with tin snips without mangling it, it's operator error.

I've got endless dremel experience from car stereo installs, rc cars, modding, etc, but for a regular case window I'll use snips over a dremel any day. Drill a pilot hole, and go to town. The only thing I do is leave myself a little room for erroe on the curse, and clean it up with a sanding drum in the dremel. My sons case I'm working on has a full side window that has all curved corners, and curves nicely around the handles. You would be hard pressed to find any problems along the cut. This system is for my 4 year old, and the edges are smooth enough that I won't have to put that ugly *ss edge molding on it.

Total time on window, less than 30 minutes.

The only exception where I feel that snips do suck is if you are leaving behind 1/4" of material, and cutting on eitherside, webbing, etc.

I'm a sheet metal worker by trade, so I'm sure I have a bit more experience, but don't knock it. Snips work great as long as you know how to use them. If not it's like trying to cut a window with a sanding drum.