1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows BF3 boycott due to preorder DLC in Full swing

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by AcidJiles, 13 Jun 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Heard of capitalism? Thats where you give incentives to buy your product now rather than later... get off your high horse and stop crying about NOTHING.

2. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

You can give them a few perks or extras but not things which give them any kind of an advantage in the multiplayer part of the game!

...but trying to discuss it with another EA apologist is pointless I guess :duh:

3. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

4. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Who said the 3 'exclusive' items are going to give people an advantage in multiplayer? I got given access to the M1 Garand in BC2 because i'd previously bought a number of other battlefield titles. Did it give me an ingame advantage? No. Did it give me a bit of variety? Yes. Why does anybody think these items are going to be any different? They'll add a little bit of variety for those people who preorder from whichever retailers end up selling the Physical Warfare Pack edition but it's not going to give those people some sort of advantage over those who don't have it.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

all i want for the game i care about is a game with regular FREE content updates and bug fixes, and EA/DICE delivers.

(unlike Activision and IW) :p

6. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Agreed. Pre-order on ZiiP, Bug clan-mates into non-existance on release date and enjoy the game while boycotters have their little tantrums. Although I'll be watching the Day One release of the Boycott group on Steam... more MW2 hilarity! :D

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

8. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

"coming soon: the Metaphysical Warfare pack"

oh noes....... lol

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

For ****s sake.

I honest to God wonder why I read these boycott threads.

Looking at most of your info, you mostly appear to be in the UK. Now, I don't know about you all, but I suspect you'll be preordering it in your home town from your local store. Maybe Steam.

Of which, none charge for the pleasure of preordering. None of which are charging any more for the limited edition version over the standard version. In fact, Gamestation aren't even selling a non-limited edition of the game. Which means, to get the "normal" version (And miss out on that super fantastic map pack and piddling little gun or two) you'd need to preorder the normal edition at exactly the same cost. And be a massive fool.

As for the "IT SHOULD BE IN THE GAME ALREADY OMG WTF" crowd: You're idiots.

Should all future DLC be "in the game already" because you resent paying a paltry sum for an additional period of play time? No. DLC is a life extension for an existing product. It's extending the life by adding variety, and you damn well should expect to pay for it. Want free stuff? Go to the home made mods.

The whinging that "people will have an unfair advantage" is equally ********. The weapon differences in every other BF game have been so paltry that it's completely down to preference - Christ, I still use an F2000 in BC2. Get some pretty nifty headshots with it, too.

It's a map pack, and some bits and bobs weapon wise that will make no difference to anyone, ever.

PC Gamers: Whinging for the sake of whinging.

You're developing a worse reputation than console gamers. It's no wonder so few devs give a **** about the PC market any more - They can do no right in your eyes.

Grow up.

Edit:

As for "country specific", moan harder - No one can hear your cries. I'd like a number of Konami limited editions that only get released in Japan - But I can't easily get them.

Boycotting for that is the closest you can get to "cutting your nose off to spite your face" - And equally as stupid. I'll be having fun on BF3 while you're being an idiot. Good luck with that.

BRAWL and Otis1337 like this.
  10. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

here here! have some rep+ :)

11. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I actually tried to find a standard edition of Battlefield 3 (not to buy, just to see if it existed) but all I could find at the major online retailers was the Limited Edition. Which is on sale for exactly the same price as you'd expect to pay for a standard edition of any other A-list title.

12. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

The point precisely, we're not paying extra money for this pack.

All we're doing is taking advantage of what retailers are offering us.

Its a dog eat dog world out there.

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Game.co.uk do list it under their "Download" section for exactly the same price.

I get the impression there are no "standard" editions in physical format.

14. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Ah yes, so they do. Think I glossed over that on the grounds it was 10 quid more than buying the Limited Edition so you'd have to be mad to even consider buying it.

That's the impression I was getting too. And tbh if it's anything like BC2 they'll be plenty of Limited Edition copies still available even after release.

15. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Yes, there aren't any 'standard' editions of the game - they are all LE and come with the Back to Karkand pack. However, this isn't what people are complaining about - the Physical Warfare pack is a different thing and will only be available at selected retailers who charge a certain price (i.e. full price, not discounted), and only when you pre-order (whereas the LE version is still available after release). This is the problem because it removes consumer choice and means that if you wanted to buy it from a certain store (e.g. Steam or a supermarket) or wait for reviews before buying the game, then you're unable to get these extra bonuses.

16. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Game is selling the Physical Warfare Pack editions for the same price as everywhere else is selling the the Limited Edition so it's clearly not affecting their ability to discount the price from the RRP. As for consumer choice I really don't think it makes that big a difference tbh. They'll add a little variety but I really really can't see them being anything more than gimmicks. The fact that I have a reward card with Game and they're charging the same price as everywhere else is far more of an incentive for me to preorder from them than the PWP will ever be. It'll be nice to have the PWP but if I could save money ordering from somewhere else then I would be doing that instead.

17. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

If they are that bothered about giving their 'core user base' extras for preordering the game, they should do something like this:

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/06/13/battlefield-3-dlc-causes-internet-rage-boycott/

18. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

I don' t get what all the ball ache is over its 30 quid on game, I paid 40 for MW2 plus the 2 extra map packs.

Need I say its only a game!

19. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

People whining and complaining heavily about what they think against facts and offical statements from EA.

What gamers think: OMG!oneeleven1!! Theyz gibbin ev... (Can't be arsed to write retardedly...) they're giving everyone who pre-orders bonuses over everyone! THEY'RE GETTING UBER GUNS!

What EA has done: Allowed select retail outlets a little bit of difference with a few unlockable weapons/ammo at day-one release that will not in anyway unbalance this beautifully mastered game. EA have said this is whats being done... everyone thinks EA have sold out BF3 for the likes of MW3 but really...

BF3... that's the second sequel to a game that was pretty good fun, not counting Bad Company 1 or 2 or anything else. This will be the last decent BF game, unless BF4 comes with a holdable light gun and you control your characters actions in VR or something equally as awesome.

People are whining for the sake of it. It's like DN:F "bitch because it was never released, bitch when it was released"

PC gamers, you make me disappointed to think myself above console gamers because you're acting like goddamn 12 year olds who are told "no" at the candy store! Look at the game you have been given, EA/DICE have basically said... here's some boobs, but these aren't just any boobs, these are <insert your fantasy woman here>'s boobs (Hayley Williams... omnomnom...) and then gone, by the way... they're £30 and you can keep them FOREVER and share them with friends... OR DONT. Stop goddamn complaining.

[/Unstructured Rant]

Damn you all... now Im angry... bloody boycotting pre-orders... *chuntter chuntter chuntter*

Here's a picture of a scary kid so you can all apprechiate just how good BF3 really is going to be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Something else for you all to consider...

Last edited: 14 Jun 2011
  20. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

You know what? The fact that you keep bringing that up does make you petty now.

It's quite clear here that noone is defending EA because of some misguided internet campaign for equal representation but because unlike you, "we really don't give a crap about this piece of DLC".

The fact that you're trying to simply categorise us into some archetypal group just so you can justify "ignoring" our arguments is rather immature and you may as well just stick your fingers in your ears and shout "Nanananana i can't hear you".

You know, when i read that there are two things that come into my head:

a) Personal views are subjective, we don't all think a like and no i can't see where you're coming from here.

b) You sound like a Conspiracy Theorist (the big corporations are out to get you man).

After reading this more and more, the more i disagree.... adamantly.

You seem to justify map packs as being "somewhat acceptable"... as someone who's experienced the annoyances of not being able to do certain playlists on Halo 3 with friends i lean the other way. Previous posters are right in that it arbitrarily divides the community, not to mention i'd class maps as being somewhat more significant that the whole Physical Warfare Pack.

As for this "Tiered System" you're going on about... to be quite honest i'm hearing a load of bollocks. Even without the DLC, the entirety of Battlefield itself has always been a "Tiered System" whereby the majority of Battlefield players will have been on multiple occasions been in a server where someone is using a weapon that they don't have. The whole point of "Ranks/Levels" and the Unlock System is to create "Tiers" of players who have advantages in certain situations.

---

Lastly, i'll put forward these questions to you:

- Do you honestly think that the Physical Warfare Pack will give anybody a significant advantage? Despite DICE's assurances that they aren't?

- If you said No to that then why are you boycotting? On principle? Surely there are better examples of this elsewhere?

- Why aren't you joining the boycott of those games? Or writing a stern letter to their developer/publisher?

- Because you're not interested in those games? Well so much for principle.

EDIT: BRAWL... that last picture was the most hilarious thing i've seen recently.

[ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.