1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biden: his time as the 46th US President

Discussion in 'Serious' started by yuusou, 6 Jul 2020.

1. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

But could Trump call a contingent election? I thought that it was for Congress to do so in the event of a tie, and only after they have counted the EC votes. And that means the new Congress sworn in on 3rd Jan, which is quite likely to be D/D majority.

I'm not disputing that there's potential for constitutional crisis, but I'm not sure that a contingent election is a likely outcome, as the scope for its use is pretty narrow.

I'd imagine it's more likely that Trump goes to the Supreme Court, as happened in 2000...

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I do worry for the US no matter the result.

3. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

In 2000, the Supreme Court was only involved to determine whether or not a recount ordered by a Florida court was constitutional. It determined it wasn't and the recount was paused. Gore then conceded because then the issue would have been thrown to the HoR (as required by the 12th amendment) where Bush would have likely won anyway due to the Republican majority by congressional delegation.

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Trump could try to do almost anything. It wouldn't surprise me, if he loses by a significant margin, if he were to throw a tantrum and storm off, accusing all Americans of being stupid for not supporting him.

5. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

i just had a trump supporter demand that i vote Trump, when i told him i was a UK citizen and thus cannot vote in your elections, he accused me of voting for biden, when i told him i wasnt voiting for Biden he repeated his demand i vote for Trump

HOW ARE PEOPLE THIS DENSE !! and these idiots are allowed to vote... ugh

IanW and MLyons like this.
  6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

But, if his supporters weren't so stupid, how would Trump be able to persuade them to vote for him?

Last edited: 3 Nov 2020
    IanW likes this.
  7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Pics like that are why some on Twitter have taken to calling the Trump caravans "Y'all Queda".

adidan likes this.
  8. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

See also Vanilla ISIS. Think the terms originated around the sharing of images of a 2016 Oregon based militia.

adidan and IanW like this.
  9. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

That's funny, but I wonder if people would be saying the same thing if it was a bunch of cars with Biden For President?

adidan likes this.
  10. adidan

Probably not but then I guess they're not renowned for being heavily anti-(insert minority group here) nor prone to planning the kidnapping of elected politicians while being supported by the head of their chosen party.

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

To be fair, the absurdities and excesses of the US election process have always baffled the world...

Spending a year or more campaigning.
    People voluntarily ruining their neighbourhood with yard signs pledging allegiance to a party.
    The hyper aggressive doorstepping and phone terrorism from campaign teams.
    The absurd garbage in attack ads.
    The avalanche of lawsuits being bounced around the various partisan courts.
    Etc...
    it's always been seen as absurd by the rest of the world and in a normal year, yes the other team would be mocked on the interwebs for doing the same thing Trump supporters do.

But the Trump syrup that has been drenched over every crevasse of America overshadows everything to the point where Biden would probably get praised for shooting someone on 5th Avenue while a Trump supporter would get mocked for eating a pancake.

And if you have to think even for 0.0000001 seconds to figure out which Trump scandal 5th Avenue is a reference to...you've proven my point.

adidan likes this.
  12. adidan

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump wins again - it's that kind of year. Plus Biden, is that the best the Dems could do?

In other news he said on Fox that he thinks he'll win but won't play games, announcing a win when he wins.

Shall be an interesting few days, hopefully everyone leaves their firearms at home.

13. oscy

oscy Modder

Trump's speech in a nutshell:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. adidan

Yup it's going to drag on. Probably messily. Probably with the Supreme Court involved.

The first thing of 2020 not to be a surprise.

15. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

During the pandemic and Brexit we at least know what trumps intentions with the UK are. Selfishly that alone is reason for myself to think "better the devil you know" and to wish trump back to power. What has the world come to. Worrying times.

16. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

To be fair, Biden is still the favourite to win (or , depending on who you listen to, at least is far from out of the running), but this is the situation that everyone was dreading. Now that Trump has outright called into question the legitimacy of the election, it seems like the very worst scenarios of an active coup are well within the realms of possibility.

17. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

100%, and of course the fact that even if Biden does win, still almost 50% of the country want Trump.

18. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I feel like Wesley Snipes in Blade when he says "so exciting!"

Because some **** is going to go down, and it is very exciting to watch. If a little terrifying.

MLyons likes this.
  19. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

To be fair we knew that anyway, although after 4 years of him you might expect a stronger downturn.

Also, worth clarifying that I'd still put "votes get counted, eventual winner gets sworn in in January without any major hiccoughs" as more probable than "civil war". But either way we're going to see a lot of legal challenges and a long drawn-out process, which is going to be pants for all involved. Plus every chance of something kicking off, even if it isn't pivotal.

20. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Wait, what?

Biden is marginally ahead in declared states. Postal votes take longer to collate, so will be later, but they are heavily skewed in favour of democrats; which is why trump put so much effort into impeding mail-in voting.

That suggests, to me at least, Biden is walking it and the media are trying to keep things interesting for the sake of page clicks.