1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big companies with lousy web sites.

Discussion in 'General' started by webchimp, 22 May 2006.

1. webchimp

webchimp What's a Dremel?

Have you ever noticed how many fairly large companies have either badly laid out websites, requiring you to drill down through endless sub-sections trying to find what you want, or are simply so slow that they are a nuisance to use.

Some bad ones from recent memory:

Asus, once you eventually find what you want, downloading drivers is painfully slow. The other day I was downloading some drivers and utilities at around 10kb/s, on a 2Mbs broadband connection, it was like being on dial-up again. :eyebrow:

PayPal, a truly awful web site, the structure is all over the place, so you rarely have an idea where you are, or where to find something. As soon as you want to do anything that involves searching or paging through a report the site slows to a crawl, making it a complete chore to look through payment histories etc. Aren't PayPal making millions? How about investing in some more servers and network bandwith! :miffed:

I think it's a disgrace that companies release patches and updates and then force you to download at a snails pace from their obviously under powered web sites. I also hate the hoops that games developers make you jump through to get patches. If they sell the damn games they should also host the patches where you can find and download them without having to register with some 3rd party site or wait in queues for the 3rd rate "non-member" service. Even better, why not release the damn things without bugs requiring 80Mb patches. GRRRR!

Rant over. :hehe:

2. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Couldn't agree more. Asus is one which, is so sodding annoying. Epox isn't any better either.
    Whats up with that :/

3. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

My school website, come on 800 quid a month school fee can produce a better website...

The students can do better, no joke.

4. lex90

lex90 Minimodder

Agreed, my school aswell, 23,000 euro a year tuition.. and they produce the most unorganized website ever with litteraly 1000s of pages scattered beyond recognition.
    and they wouldnt spend 800 on a new website.. terrible if you ask me

5. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

PayPal is deliberately designed to be clunky, so that the user doesn't feel too secure. It's one of their schemes to try to reduce scams.

EDIT: I find the UK ASUS fine from a design point of view, but it's terribly slow. I guess it's all hosted on the same server somewhere in Taiwan or the Netherlands, so we get rubbish bandwidth to it.

ch424

Last edited: 22 May 2006
  6. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

I'd agree.... Asus is awful

theres been others which have been horrific to find the information you want... I think even sony gave me a large amount of trouble finding what i wanted, so i gave up

7. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Acer website is a bit confusing.

8. ridiculous

ridiculous What's a Dremel?

pretty much every US Wireless company's website blow.

gigabyte is terrible

www.clemson.edu the worst website on teh planet!

9. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Maplin here in the UK. Total mess.

10. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Strangely enough I was on the asus website the other night, and I totally agree the structure is bolloc... erm... poor :worried:

11. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Couldn't agree more.

12. Strategy

Strategy Banned

bit-tech.net

Worst site evAr! :p

13. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Yeah, the Asus site is absolutely terrible. So slow.

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Asus. I hate them. Their website sucks, it's buggy, it's poorly laid out, it uses java(I think) for what would appear to be the single reason that they want to make me do everything in one tab. I hate them, I hate them lots.

15. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

To get around the ASUS speed problem I always use the Japanese/Asian servers, and avoid the FTP ones, I get full 2MB bandwidth that way.

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Asus and A-bit's sites are both incredibly slow for me. Maplins, as H said, is bloody awful. The whole mess of steampowered.com is shocking too - how difficult can it be to buy a game? :\

17. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

In fact, I think it's safe to say that every motherboard manufacturers site is terribly slow as they're normally hosted in taiwan, must agree with the comments on maplins site though, if you want to browse it then fine, but if your after anything in particular, then you'll be there forever

18. RTT

RTT #parp

Jessops. Total crap. Until the other day that is, the new site is way, way better.

Same goes for O2. Their site as of a week ago was crap, and that has been updated now too. Seems to be a lot better.

19. Starfighter

Starfighter What's a Dremel?

It's also frightening how some big websites ignore "other" browsers too. For instance on the orange website it's actually impossible to buy certain contracts from them using Firefox.

You'd think they'd test out at least the money taking part of the site!

20. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

so it's not just me thinking that :D dfi and abit can be slow too i've noticed...