1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows "Big" MS news at CES this year.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Neogumbercules, 2 Jan 2008.

1. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

anyone know where i can hire a hitman to kill bill gates? And if there´s 2 for one price then steve jobs also.

2. BlueTrin

BlueTrin New Member

Maybe they will just announce Windows 7...

"WINDOWS 7 EVERYTHING WE PROMISED YOU FOR VISTA !!! ONLY FOR THE PRICE OF 2 WINDOWS ULTIMATES OR FOUR OIL BARRELS !!!"
    "DO A BARREL ROLL !!!"

3. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

I hope its a silent black 360 with integrated HDDVD, I will probably be a 360 owner again, there are some 360 games and HDDVDs I would pick up if I had a player but don't want a standalone one in case format dies, I certainly didn't want that dodgy bolt-on thing messing up my front room attached to a whiney 360 that requires my TV set to 22 just to drown it out meaning I can't play late at night when the missus is in bed.

4. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

DS/PSP competitor... Sorry, I mean, DS competitor. I'm not sure anyone gives a flying poop about the PSP any more.

5. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

There are more PSPs in the market than 360 and PS3s combined, its sold pretty well and still does, sure only half as well as a DS but its far from a failure.

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

But Sony don't really give a toss about it anymore, and use it as a place to toss crappy console ports over most of the time, with very few games that are actually worth buying. I love my PSP, but there just aren't enough games worth buying.

7. BlueTrin

BlueTrin New Member

If they make a HD DVD Xbox unless it is supposed to be the successor of the Xbox it will be a huge flop. No developper sane in their mind will develop games on this platform as they won't be able to sell to the people who didn't buy a HD DVD drive. (XBox market will be split between those who have a HDDVD and those who do not), unless they sell the HD DVD Drive for a ridiculous low amount (like 30 bucks)

As MS is quite strong on marketing techniques, they know this and will never do this mistake ...

8. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

If they do make an internal HD-DVD rom, it won't be used for games for that very reason.

9. BlueTrin

BlueTrin New Member

So you mean that it will be only for movies ? It would be a move to weaken the blu-ray and Sony ?

10. Robotrix

Robotrix New Member

Well of course. If they started releasing games on HD DVD then it would defeat the whole purpose of a console. It would make this 'Xbox 360 Ultimate' a whole different console.

11. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I remember when PC games made the transition to DVD. There was usually a choice between the multiple CD version or the single DVD version. In fact, I think you can still buy WoW on 5 CD's! I remember buying the CD version of Chaos Theory by accident.

And like people have mentioned, the cost isn't really that much greater if you have multiple discs. In fact, at the moment, it's probably cheaper to use about 5 DVD's than 1 HD-DVD.

12. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Yeah, different versions of games for CD and DVD were common place, games as recent as Doom 3 still came on 3CDs (in a really cool pattern in the jewel case). If it is an inbuilt HD-DVD player, it'll be for movies only, which I don't think would be a bad thing.

In the Metro this morning was an article saying the big annoucement would be a new 360 with a 300Gb Hard drive and inbuilt HD-DVD player. Though this is the Metro.

13. naokaji

naokaji whatever

well.. it might be metro, but 300 GB hdd and integrated HDDVD does sound good to me.. i might as well jump the boat and give up my hate for consoles if that comes true....

with a bit of modding i bet its pretty easy to fix the heat issues too...

14. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Sure, if you want to risk it. Mod it and you'll void the warranty though, meaning if it DOES RROD then you'll be arsed.

15. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

That was ripped straight from Stuff or T3 (can't remember which) but they were the first to start that rumour

16. BlueTrin

BlueTrin New Member

Yeah but the difference is that a console is marketed 3-4 years until the new version comes out.
    A PC is a market of enthusiasts who constantly upgrade their rig.

On a console market providing a HD-DVD will fragment the market with many people stuck with the old version. And editors are unlikely to produce games on the HD-DVD format because it will increase their costs and will wait for the new version of the console before to use a different format.

Managing two versions for every game will increase their operating costs and it is unlikely that they will do the effort, unless MS forces the editors to do so ...

17. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

There's already been a fair few guides. The one that made the biggest difference was using cardboard (yes cardboard) to increase the length of the fan duct so it encompasses the GPU heastsink entirely

18. naokaji

naokaji whatever

i've learned to live with the risk...

non of the parts in my pc got a warranty anymore... (except the hdd's). not using stock cooling, oc... it all kills warranty.. i ususally just do a quick test if something's doa and if not then it ends up with a voided warranty shortly. its the :dremel: inside of me that prevents me from running something at default.

19. hobbs

hobbs New Member

yeah they are doing something here, they have two HUGE tents setting up, ill try to get some pics later. Also im going to the MS keynote on the 6th so well see.

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

For the love of god will people STOP THINKING OF THIS. IT WON'T HAPPEN. END OF STORY. MS are NOT going to shoot themselves in the foot.

EVEN if they did launch a HD DVD model and release games on HD DVD there will ALWAYS BE MULTI-DVD ALTERNATIVES but the much greater likelihood is that it's for MOVIES ONLY.

This is why it won't happen for games.

Tags: