1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bigadv folding on a 2500K?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by r3loaded, 7 May 2011.

1. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

I have a Core i5 2500K clocked at 4.5Ghz - would this be sufficient for folding bigadv units within the deadlines? What sort of PPD would I expect from this, and should I run the GPU3 client alongside or would that have too much of a performance hit on the CPU client?

2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

The processing power there is enough for BigADV but the issue is that you need 8 cores for BigADV. No HT, no BigADV. However I do believe theres a way of folding BigADV with less than 8 cores.

3. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

I have a 2500k and a gtx460, I found that running them both I barely get more points than if I just run the 2500k whilst drawing twice the power at ther wall.

You could experiment, get a power meter (kill-a-watt) and fahmon and just test to see if its worth it.

4. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

Stick with the standard SMP client, you will do well with the 2500K.

As Ph4ZeD says you need a minimum of 8 threads to process bigadv.

Even if you could trick the server into giving you a bigadv, with only 4 threads I doubt you would complete the WU in time. (I have a 2600K at 4.5Gig running bigadv).