1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biggest quake in 40 years kills thousands

Discussion in 'Serious' started by mrplow, 26 Dec 2004.

1. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I think the British giving money to poor countries does portray us as being a rich country, and this does attract asylum seekers. Yes asylum seekers want a better life, but we also have to realise that Britain, only about 80 years ago was in the same state as poor countries and we didn't move anywhere! And asylum seekers can be a big problem, depending on the cirumstance, especially in the south where you see asylum seekers all the time.

On the other hand, asylum seekers are good for the uk economy because they get the low paid, but essential jobs, such as a cleaner, imagine this country without cleaners!

So you can flame asylum seekers, but they also give us benefits, but whether you like them or not, keep that opinion to yourselves.

And, we still should be donating to Asia (and Africa) anyway, we still have plenty of Billions to spend for ourselves - I myself will be donating - if I can get through to the website which seems to be very slow.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That doesnt supprise me at all, nor would i recon theyd want you there.

Im sorry, but you dont know what you're talking about. Just over half the american voting public voted Bush back in, but he's a republican and some of those who voted him back in did it for his republican values not because it was him. Im sure quite a lot of americans know where india is, and frankly, you're an idiot if you think otherwise - i bet you dont even know what the american schooling system is like, except for the miniscule windows in the public media and the propaganda youve been fed from where-ever?? Stop GENERALISING and STEREOTYPING and mouthing off your racist views (yea, they are racist - americans are a race of people too) because they wont be tollerated.

Regarding asylum seeking figures - more people come here to work than the miniscule that come here seeking asylum. Again, stereotyping and generalisation. If they're application is failed then they are deported. So, the system isnt exactly perfect and we get quite a few, and we are overpopulated but so do other european countries. You wanna know what overpopulation is like? Go see Hong Kong.

And you're just as bad thinking Birmingham in the US is "a copy" of the Bham over here. So what if they have the same name, but using the same terminology as them makes you just as bad. Do you even know any history of the US? Civil war? Independence???

Last edited by a moderator: 5 Jan 2005
  3. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Yea, I agree, Carbon, I see a suspension coming along. As for Americans being dumb, thier average IQ is 98, just 2 below the British, not much in my opinion.

And yes, the Americans voted George Bush, but isn't that the same as the British voting Tony Blair for a 2nd term? Tony Blair is a little brat and we don't have much choice for voting, it's either Tony Blair or a couple of other Brats!

4. Carbon

Carbon Banned

Elitist? Did i once say that English people are the only true people? No i didnt, i stated that England need's to sort out her own problems.

Racist? Did i mention any kind of race? did i say a racist comment?

Self-Serving? Did i say that the money is better of spent on me? Nope, ive got enough money to see me by. I also definatly did NOT say that i need donations of clothes or food.

garbage? how arrogant do YOU want to be? After speaking to numerious Americans my comments about "americans dont even know where x,y,z is" is well founded, I said that I was from England before and the responce i got from an 'American' was "What? New england?
    Lets go further into American arrogance, after sept 11 re-naming 'Frence Fries' to 'Freedom Fries' ... come on!!!! Next you will try to state that it was an 'American' who wrote the English language (or the abomination that you speak)

5. Carbon

Carbon Banned

Yes i know that it was an act of terroism against the people who governed the country i.e England.

6. Carbon

Carbon Banned

Um so? i get banned/suspended for anything on here anyway ;)

Also further more, everyone on here act all high and mighty and act like you never say anything about anyone, but you all do it. I'm just not bothered about saying it on here.

Also 3 mins silence for the victims? what exactly did they do? Our war dead only get a ONE min silence :eyebrow:

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

OK Carbon, I don't mind counterpoints being made, but you have to substantiate them. Your more recent posts in this thread display the sort of facile reasoning that is usually more befitting the BNP. I could counter all your arguments but basically I think that now you're just trolling. Either join a serious debate and substantiate your points, or withdraw from the argument. :grr:

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

And you wonder why? Oh yea, its because WE are high and mighty, not because what you spout is one sided biggotry? The reason we appear this way is maybe because we tend to understand the situation better?
    There's so many things I wanna contend with what you've written but id just be wasting my breath as you believe you are so right about "these stupid americans" there's no point in even trying to get you to realise you're only looking at it all one sided.

Go take it elsewhere, Daily Mail forums or whatever, but you've continually offended our american friends on here :grr:

9. Carbon

Carbon Banned

I chose to fold.

*places card face down*

10. RTT

RTT #parp

Send my congratulations to your rear end for managing to keep your head permanently stuck up there without letting it out. You are truly my hero.

11. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

I won't deny that some Americans are ... not so bright... but that doesn't give you the right to start throwing around ideas that Americans don't know where India is... I mean from just reading your posts i am sure that ever single person in England knows their geography...

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

OK guys, he quit the argument. Now let's us have the grace to move on too.

13. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

I only saw that post after I had posted...

14. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

...and to continue with the topic...

New figures from cnn:

- Australia has pledged one billion australian dollars (approx US$764.5 million)
    - Germany has upped it's pledge to 500 million euros (approx US$660 million)
    - The US will double our number of heli's, military hardware and personel and will "most likely increase the dollar amount significantly"

This after the visit by Collin Powell and Jeb Bush.

15. quack

quack Minimodder

Snopes.

16. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

The tidal wave that I experienced in the Maldives wasn't that dramatic, as the Island I was staying on was in the north of the island chain, and was shielded for the most part by Sri Lanka. We experienced a large tidal surge (where the water retreats before rushing back in), but it caused no damage.

The wave did cause much more signigicant damage the further south you went though, and it caused Male airport to be closed as it got swamped (which delayed our departure as we where due home on the 27th). When we left, we met people at the airport that had lost everything, and literally had only the clothes they where standing up in.

The authorities at Gatwick when we landed played a blinder - they ensured that we where OK, and had clothing, food and medical assistance on hand for those less fortunate than me and Mrs GOO. We felt very guilty TBH, and had to keep telling the ground staff at the airport that we were Ok, and to look after the other guys. But thumbs up to them anyway. They even made sure we didn't get pestered by the media scrum at arrivals.

Anyhoo, I have some video of the wave, and I'll attempt to post it tonight when I get home.

17. quack

quack Minimodder

Wow, glad you and the wife are ok.

18. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Here's the video I promised. I didn't manage to get the waves coming further up the beach and under the beach bungalows (they're on stilts) as the mem card filled up - but this is what I did get:

http://www.jason.cundall.dsl.pipex.com/Surge_Out.MP4 (6.5Mb, 00:36)
    http://www.jason.cundall.dsl.pipex.com/Surge_In.MP4 (4.7Mb, 00:32)

http://www.jason.cundall.dsl.pipex.com/Surge_Pic.JPG

[Edit] You may need to download the movies first. For some reason the movies won't play if you just click on them sometimes - but after downloading, they play fine in QT player.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2005
  19. TJK

TJK What's a Dremel?

hey, i am from the US and I have been following this whole thing pretty closely. If any of you know, the governments affected are not exactly the United States best buddies. Matter-of-fact, they are kinda like half-enemies to us, and then we help them out, and get razzed for not helping enough. Truth be told, im sick of this whole thing. My personal opinoion is that sure we should all give money and pray for them, but what more can we do? I turned on the TV yesterday morning, and all 5 channels i looked at still had their main story as the Tsunami disaster. I agree that it is a sad thing and many lost lives, but what more can we do? The media should keep us informed, and thats all. Talk is cheap these days, and we (not just the US) need to get off our butts, and do something about it, not just have our television news broadcast it for more than 2 weeks.

20. TJK

TJK What's a Dremel?

I dont want to sound harsh or cruel in my post above, and i need to congratulate the Aussies for their large contributions too.