1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards BIOS Flashing help?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by s1n1s, 8 Jul 2011.

1. s1n1s

s1n1s What's a Dremel?

Hey guys

Its my first time attempting to flash a BIOS, so I'm looking for some guidance i need to be able to flash from a usb drive would greatly appreciate a step by step walk through if possible

thanks

2. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Basicaly dump the file unzipped onto a flash drive, reboot your computer and press 'end' as the boot screen comes up.

This will open the flash program. From there just select your bios file and your done.

Never power of or restart while the update is running, even though that board has dual bios, its not worth the risk

s1n1s likes this.
  3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Gigabyte boards:
    Reminder: Your motherboard has Dual BIOS... so if the BIOS update fail, it will recover and your on your way to try again :D

They are 2 ways to update your BIOS.
    -> You can do it like Dell systems, where you can do it within Windows, using @BIOS from Gigabyte (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2847#utility). Simple to use, just start the program once installed, and select the BIOS file you downloaded from Gigabyte web site. Don't do anything with your computer while the bios update process takes place. A few seconds later, it will be done, restart your system, and you have the latest BIOS.

-> The second method, is to do it outside Windows. To do this you can follow this tutorial: http://www.multimolti.com/blog/2010/01/10/update-bios-using-q-flash-for-gigabyte-mainboards/
    Note: Your USB key needs to be attached to your motherboard or frontal case USB's (no USB hub). Refer to your motherboard manual for additional assistance for any BIOS configuration, but it should be fine.

Please note, on either method, to check "Load CMOD default after BIOS update" and "Clear DMI data Pool" check boxes on either method.

Once the BIOS is updated, in the BIOS select "Load Optimize defaults", and set back your settings. Don't forget to put back your SATA controller mode the way it was so that it can boot into Windows, and not cause a BSOD at startup.

s1n1s likes this.
  4. s1n1s

s1n1s What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys will take on board what you've said :)

5. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Just be careful - some BIOS updates actually screw things up.. Updated the BIOS on my ABIT board, causes anything past bios (OS, os setup) to fail miserably.. oh well there goes am3 support :(

Flashed back and all is well.. I miss my ASUS dualbios, but I spose sacrifices have to be made for performance