1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BioShock 2 details emerge

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Mar 2009.

1. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Loved Bioshock, so I'll wait patiently for this one too.

2. chicorasia

chicorasia What's a Dremel?

The range of cultural and artistic references in Bioshock is incredible, making it much more than a simple "art-deco FPS RPG".

There are references to ancient Greek culture - the myth of Prometheus, the names of several locations in Rapture. Anyone who's read Collin Rowe's "Collage city" can draw parallels between Rapture and several architectural utopias of late 19th - early 20th century (these utopic ideas go beyond architecture, they imply idealised models of man itself).

The bits with Cohen made me wonder how it would be like to know Salvador Dali, or Picasso. The notion of religion, the insuficiency of rationality are concepts inspired by Freud's and Kant's writings.

All these and many other ideas are there, waiting to impress themselves upon you, if you'll only listen close enough...

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I like Bioshock alot, especially Cohen and his insane but yet perfectly done works of "art".

Hell I even have the soundtrack.

And + 1 to Chicorasia, you have to know a bit of everything to get Rapture and why it's built.

4. benjamyn

benjamyn What's a Dremel?

Big sisters?

Pfft... Big Momma's woulda been so much cooler ;)

So this game is about fat nuns on the beach?

5. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

I loved rapture and the graphics except for backtracking it played pretty well and I've got the sequil on my list. but much to my surprise no mention here about the hasle with secrom and BS2

6. Nicb

Nicb Let's discuss among ourselves

I liked the under water, retro look, the story, I played it many times even as torturous as it was. I kept saying to my self...... "everybody seems to like it, if I keep playing it, I will too." But nope. I cant stand playing that game. Maybe I'll like this one.

7. Gunblade

Gunblade The Frugal Chef

I was kinda tripped up about the fact that we return to rapture (did it not get destroyed?). I guess the formula worked last time why not for round two! Typical sequel thinking so far at least..... but I can't wait for more info and the finished product.

This time it's personal - I left my wallet back in rapture. haha

8. Kasius

Kasius Bringin' the dremolition

Awesomesause! I'll be booking time off work for this badboy..

9. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Bioshock is one of those games I honestly can't see where an FPS fan is coming from when they say they don't like it. Might not think it was brilliant, fine, but honestly not like the game at all? Baffles me.

I thought it was truly fantastic, really sucked you in. It had such a strong fiction about it, far above the vast majority of FPS games. Recently, I'd say only Stalker topped it for atmosphere. And those blasted Houdini Splicers scared the bejesus out of me.

And no, Rapture wasn't destroyed. You simply left the city taking the little sisters with you. Cue seven years later, Rapture's after some replacements.

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Just started playing Dead Space and it feels a bit like BioShock meets Doom3... awesome! :)
    Only problem I have is that my graphics card is basically dead. Crashes every now and then [or more often]...
    Really have to get my mother to send BioShock to England so I can play it again.

11. Burnin'

Burnin' FPS gamer

you nailed it bro!!!

I think that the people who didn't enjoy this game weren't actually paying attention to it. Bioshock wasn't the average FPS... There were no videos, no cut-scenes, no tutorials... The game revealed itself as you play it. People expecting a mindless frag fest were certainly disappointed

Now, if you check out the somethinginthesea.com website you'll know that the game is not a prequel! First, all the dates reference to 1967, That's 7 years after the events of the first game. Then, based on the assumption that the developers chose the good ending, Rapture will be out of little sisters to harvest ADAM. If anyone down there wanted to continue harvesting ADAM, then he (Andy Ryan???) will need more little girls. And the ones who survived will now be the Big Sisters... Finally the new Big Daddies look more like and enhanced version of the previous ones..

12. mr00Awesome

mr00Awesome YEAH SWEET LEMONADE

But, you killed everyone that you encountered, so there would be no one left to harvest adam for. Unless they open up a completely new part of Rapture that we havent seen yet. This is assuming that it is a sequel though.

Tags: Add Tags