1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BioShock coming to Macs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Sep 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Active Member

This should be funny...

4. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

In the Mac fanboys own words...

Buy a Mac PC :D

5. riggs

riggs ^_^

Pfft, who cares?

The Mac has always been behind the times in terms of games. There's just no point in spending time and money on such a small hardware base (in relation to Windows PCs and games consoles).

Anyway, looking at the spec you need an Intel machine...the same machine that can also run Windows. So why not just pick up the PC version of Bioshock (for £9.99 from Game) and run it using Bootcamp?!?

6. wafflesomd

wafflesomd New Member

I would totally buy a mac....

If I wanted less functionality than my pc that is.

7. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Considering that all Feral do is wrap the PC game up in a Cider package, I don't see why it takes so long to release.. and for a high cost. Feral are rip-off merchants. For example, Colin McRae Mac (which is actually Colin McRae 05), £35. You can get it on the PC for a fiver.

I'm not a Mac user but, if these companies want to be taken seriously, then they need to release new games quicker and have prices comparable to PC versions. Until they do that, Mac gaming will be stuck in the past. An expensive past.

8. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

^this is so true. But a lot of Mac users aren't aware they can do this, so will happily pay the premium for last years game.

9. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

This is a stupid marketing decision.

10. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

This is exactly what my GF done to hers (without any aid from myself I might add) in order to be able to play TF2 and L4D :D

11. coolius

coolius New Member

Maybe because you'd have to pay £100 for a legit copy of windows?

12. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

*gets popcorn and chair*
    Ok I'm ready for the debate, please make it, fun repetitive and childish as I need some entertainment at work.

13. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

If you do any decent amount of gaming, or want games not ported over to OSX it will end up cheaper.

14. MajorTom

MajorTom New Member

This is why there is no such thing as a Mac Gamer.

15. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks New Member

You need to consider the fact that poeple that buy Macs (usually) know they are already spening more money than they need to. They are unlikely to care as much about the price as most of us.

16. harveypooka

harveypooka Fond of rumpots and crackpots

Feral do not use Transgaming's Cider technology. That's Transgaming. Feral port games to Mac. There's no Windows .exe lurking in the file system.

17. harveypooka

The Mac Gamer - Google it!

Last edited: 25 Sep 2009
  18. Carcharodon

Carcharodon New Member

Steady on there! - That's 2 high end gaming cards released inside a year for the Mac Pro and now BioShock! - What's next? - The Mac Pro gamer edition! - Apple could certainly rival the likes of Aliendellware and Falcon Northwest when it comes to over-pricing; while witnessing the PC fanboy rage at such a thing would be great fun.

Talking of which, isn't Rage also coming to the Mac?

Who knows, in 5 years time with MS and publishers continuing on their quest to turn the PC into a glorified games console, the Mac could become the platform of choice for the hardcore gaming niche, looking for new experiences. For the time being though, Mac owners shouldn't bother with bootcamp or buying a gaming PC; just buy yourself an Xbox 360 or PS3 instead; their pretty much all the same these days anyway.

World gaming order at present:

1st - Console gamers with their grubby little hands on all the goodies first and big smiles on the faces; you've got to hate them!

2nd - PC gamers left waiting for the port, but comforting themselves with some benchmarks and by the fact that their expensive high end card will let them play the exact same game at a higher res - or at least it should - providing the developers have done the port right and ATI/Nvidia haven't messed up the drivers.

3rd - Mac gamers (yes they do exist) are just left waiting, hoping, maybe, yes! - Its BioShock! - And its only 2 years old!

By the way iwog, are you sharing that popcorn and is it salted?

19. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

Mac machines are powerful and have the potential to be great gaming machines. Just not under their native OS. Don't get me wrong OSX is a damn nice OS, but gaming is still Windows based for now, and the premium on Apple machines will mean if they do try and branch into gaming pcs will still undercut them be a substantial proportion.

20. harveypooka

Agreed.

I've used Macs for thirteen odd years and I have played some great games on them. Windows is where it's at for games, but the Mac does have potential and it is being leveraged slowly. There is a hell of a lot more that Apple can do to inspire development for the platform, though.

Tags: Add Tags