1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Bioshock Infinite: The 10 things it got wrong

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 17 Apr 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

It's precisely that I have those very same thoughts that is why I was so moved to write this article. Oh that the whole experience could've lived up to the world, the characters and the story.

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

On a side note, it's nice to see you addressing the comments section with such verve Ed, it's almost like the olden days :)

David likes this.
  3. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

I try. :)

4. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

I'm not sure, if you drop the range of weapons, they would have to add more ammo for the bullet sponges or make the vigors do much more damage.

Well hopefully Obsidian get another short of turning out a more rpg'y sequel/alternative? They did a much better job of making gear and powerups more useful in Bioshock 2, just story delivery wasn't as good (although hard to do as Bioshock had the initial setup and twist).

Not sure what they could do to make the rails more fun? The controls on it were already very sloppy, trying to jump onto them or a hook during fights were hit or miss for me (or the random distances which you could reach some rails/hooks at), if they tried to copy Mirrors Edge I'm sure it would have failed miserably (played both on a 360 controller).

I'm trying to think of a game that handles interaction with common npcs well, as I gave you two, you decided to pick on the one I was giving as an example that doesn't do a good job of being gruff enough.
    I suggested Fable as it's a whole mechanic in itself but at the sametime completely a daft and doesn't help tell stories. Oblivion also has interaction would not help in the slightest tell stories.
    I think it's better that they just ignore you in this game as the only interactions that matter are those in the story. If I want to be told how wishy washy I am I'll speak to Kreia. :p

This is a linear straight up shooter dealing with the paranormal with emphasis on story. They spent time doing the tie ins and tear chatter sounds rather than waste it on the odd chance you are bouncing on some guy sun bathing. :p Catch me around and I'll buy you a beer. ;)

Ken doesn't care about mechanics (he admitted it before), its about the 'world', 'feel' and the 'vibe'. In other words he will drag you through the game. :p

In terms of gameplay and interaction, Dishonored is the better game. In terms of story, Bioshock is simply better delivered.

The more likely question is, why would they want to improve the weaknesses of Bioshock? Surely they are more than happy to just release a sequel knowing that we will lap it up no matter how much they dumb it down or adjust the formula in negative ways (I remember Bioshock having better combat as mixing powers and weapons was more effective).

Sorry its late and I'm ranting and all of the above probably read incoherently. :D

5. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

I think it's great that you read the comments and do respond. :)

6. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

First off Bioshock is the best game I'v played recently its been like reading a good book, good start, little bit slow in the middle but by the end you don't want it to stop.

Story aside I think the gameplay aspect would have really benefited from a Skyrim esque system applied to the game.

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I haven't 100% completed Infinite but I think I'm close to it but can agree with all those points, still an awesome game but it could have had a bit more awesomesauce squeezed into it.

I'd blame closing guy which bit-tech mentioned recently, the one who was employed to make sure it meets the deadline, likely caused it to have stuff cut out or left incomplete. :(

I'm glad Rockstar know the importance of giving developers needed time to squeeze more awesomesauce into a game, GTA V will be, I can't find an awesome enough word for it lol. :D

8. Sleepy Ben

Sleepy Ben What's a Dremel?

Finished it the other day and I'd say I agree with Ed's points plus I don't think the story is as good as many people seem to think.

It supposedly deals deep issues like racism, religion, redemption and action and consequences yet a young woman who leads an incredibly sheltered life is suddenly thrown into contact with a cold blooded killer and witnesses acts of extreme violence then 30 seconds later she merrily throws the killer a coin and says 'Catch' - at least with 'Dishonored' your actions had consequences and changed how others reacted to you and were shaped by your actions.

9. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

Article should read Ten Things Bit Tech Got Wrong About Bioshock Infinite

Its a masterpiece,

**** you Bit Tech.

10. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

lol and there was me thinking it was just pretty ok. Best fun ive had recently has been dis-honoured by miles.

11. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Looks like you're on the wrong site there Roskoken, we're nice to each other on here :)

David likes this.
  12. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

For me it's different. I found it boring to start with... the first few hours.... then I started to enjoy it.... now I'm hating it and wondering how much longer it will drag on for.

The boss fights seem ridiculous. The story is... kind of all over the place... so much dialog and it's so much cheese it makes me cringe. I actually don't care what the characters are saying or "feeling". I can't be bothered to engage enough to want to press "F" to comfort the girl when she cries. I hate the weapon vending machine where you have a huge list of weapons and want to buy ammo for the 2 weapons you're carrying but you can't remember what they feck you're carrying... I just want to buy ammo automatically for my gun. Whatever guns I have... I want 1 single ammo buying option. I don't want a list of 40 guns and have to choose the correct one to buy ammo for.

There is one boss fight in particular that annoyed me... huge monkey oaf in diver suit or something and he was after me for ages. Eventually he disappeared after I went in to a building and when I came back out a few mins later he had vanished.

Now I'm at the part where the girl's mommy is being annoying. Spent 20 mins getting killed by her little men only to learn that I can't drain her energy bar... I must go on another quest in order to fix things.

The game is tedious.

I won't be buying another bioshock.

13. toolio20

toolio20 What's a Dremel?

Infinite Disappointment.

Weak endgame aside the original Bioshock had some unique intrinsic elements despite hijacking System Shock 2's core essence. Unlike it's predecessor, however, Infinite is superficial, vapid and tedious, to say nothing of being obscenely overrated - Columbia is neither striking nor innovative, just embarrassingly...stupid (IMO, since the criteria used to judge an imaginary alt-reality universe as such is absolutely subjective).

In fact, all the ending did was make me miss the Rapture continuity, reinforcing the comparative shoddiness of the game I just finished. The only upshot is Infinite in no way detracts from or diminishes enjoyment of the aforementioned preceding games despite it's shameless attempt to ride the coattails of far better fare.

I'll just say it - this was a pretty lousy game, 6/10.

Tags: Add Tags