1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor Biostar or Shuttle (Reqs for 2nd PC)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JonDixon, 13 May 2004.

1. JonDixon

JonDixon Decking is the new modding

Okay,

Im looking to build a second PC which I'll use during the week while I work away from home.

The PC has to do the following:

Be my TV, DVD player, MP3 Player
    also be my games station

Im torn between the low cost of the Biostar compared to the Shuttle.

I'll probably want a 9700pro/9800pro all-in-wonder card in it

Should I go Athlon64 or stick with the Barton?

Definately looking at 512MB of dual channel memory and a 120GB to 200GB hard drive depending what money I have left over.

Any advice between a 64 system and a 32 system and Biostar against Shuttle would be great.

Ta

2. Olly

Olly What's a Dremel?

Jon,
    What is more important to you, multimedia apps or gaming?

If gaming, I'd go for an Athlon 64 3000+ (Shuttle SN85 ?), otherwise I'd go for a 3 GHz Barton (Shuttle SB75). They're both about the best CPU options for price/performance available at the moment.

I've had two SN41's (one's now my daughters PC and the others a Linux fileserver) and I've recently bought an SB75. They've all been excellent (and the SB75 can handle Far Cry with no problem! :D ).

I can't comment on any other SFF PC make 'cos I've only ever bought Shuttles but I can definately recommend them (especially the newer models with the quiet SilentX 250w PSU).

Hope this helps ...

Olly

3. JonDixon

Its about 50/50 in terms of multimedia and gaming. This machine has to do everything that you'd normally have your hi-fi, tv, dvd-player and console doing.

As Im renting a smallish room and dont want to have to move a lot of stuff if I change accomodation frequently.

BTW : The SB75 isnt that intel not amd?

Last edited: 13 May 2004
  4. verse

verse What's a Dremel?

If you want to spend the cash on a 64 bit cpu go for it :) I like my barton 2500+ though, works well enough for everything I do (which is exactly what you're going to be doing with your shuttle) I have a 9700 pro, and 512 mb of corsair xms dual channel. It works great as a gaming machine, very easy to take to a lan, and it can run any game fine. Farcry rapes it sometimes, but what can you expect? :) My video card is showing age.

5. Olly

Olly What's a Dremel?

Yep thats right SB75 is Intel (I've got a 3 Ghz Barton in mine), and the SN85
    is AMD 64 bit - they'd both be a good choice for what you want

Olly

6. Penrhos

Penrhos What's a Dremel?

If you want to run a 9700Pro/9800 Pro/XT or 5900XT then any shuttle with a 240W (silent-x) psu should be fine. A few things to remember
    AGP slot is on outside edge so only single slot AGP cards fit (no passive 9800 for me).
    Dont try and put a prescott P4 in one (too hot!)
    For added comfort if getting a SN41G2 or SN45 try a mobile barton - less heat and o/c better, nforce2 chipset so dual channel memory (2*512M) for extra performance.
    A64 Shuttle (SN85G4) works fine (see sig) if a little warm for my liking 56 deg

As for others I've tried Soltec Qbic's, MSI and build qualitiy isnt as good and heatpipe tech is better cpu cooler.

7. JonDixon

Im thinking SN45 now as it doesnt have the built in graphics card so is a little cheaper.

Will take a look at the mobile chips then for less heat but Im not interested in overclocking (would probably break something)

8. Penrhos

Penrhos What's a Dremel?

Try and make sure you get the 240W silent-x psu version if using a 9700-AIW due to the current draw (seach forums for details) other than that should be OK , I've just finished my 10th Shuttle build and none have come back with problems so I'm happy with them

9. JonDixon

Looking at getting it from gemma.co.uk as they are selling the Rev2 which comes with silentx 240w psu as standard

10. Penrhos

Penrhos What's a Dremel?

If getting the V2.0 SN45 beware of the Vdimm problem (if you change the voltage the board dies - search threads here or sfftect). Apart from that seems OK.

11. JonDixon

Im back to thinking about getting the Biostar 200N after reading the review at hwextreme.com.

They ran theirs with a 9800 PRO and with the bios upgrade it now has a 400fsb which I could use a 3000XP in.

Also because of budget my video card is more likely to be a 9600XT or PRO all-in-wonder.

Damm gas company - pay monthly then sting you with a £100+ bill at the end of the year.

Yeh, I read about the V2 problem, which is a bit of a bugger. To buy a V1 and pay extra for the silentX 250w psu puts the price up to £170. which is at least £30 more than I can get the 200N for.

Tags: