1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BioWare president: Nintendo Wii is 'like a toy'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 25 Apr 2008.

1. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

as a longtime diehard fan of the zelda franchise (yeah, played/completed them all), i will make a stand and say zelda is NOT an RPG. it is an action adventure with an inventory - that's it. that's what makes it so great! don't pretend it's something else when it's not!

2. lewchenko

lewchenko Member

An action / adventure game where you assume the role of Link. Hmmmm. Well that sounds like a Role playing game then. It may not be as in depth as other RPG's on other systems (due to Wii hardware limitations maybe ?) but you do play the role of Link... making it erm... a role playing game!

Here is an extract from the Wikipedia about the Zelda games :

"The gameplay consists of a mixture of action, adventure, puzzle solving, role-playing and occasional platforming, stealth and racing elements."

Role-playing it is then!

3. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Role playing involves more in-depth interaction that simply "assuming the role" of a certain character. Back in 1990, when I played Contra on the 8-bit NES, I assumed the role of some dude shooting bad guys. It must be a role playing game!

-monkey

4. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

that's a very blinkered way of looking at things. By your argument we can also conclude that mario, tomb raider and any other game where the protagonist is directly controlled by the player (i.e, player assumes their role) is also an rpg, which is blatantly not the case. Also you make the wrong assumption that including elements of rpg gameplay automatically makes the game one. The only rpg element in Zelda is the inventory; something which is in many, many other genres. E.g would you call resident evil or monkey island rpgs? No, because their core mechanic revolves around something completely antithetic to an rpg. They leave out the character skill and power development, tiered weapons and upgrade systems, etc. that play a key role in an rpg. Zelda leaves all of these out in favour of a much purer sense of adventure. This is what makes zelda great- the fact that it's NOT an rpg and isn't trying to be.

(alternatively: i role-played with your MUM last night! guffaw guffaw)

Last edited: 28 Apr 2008
  5. completemadness

completemadness New Member

i guess it depends if you classify it by the actual name, or the genre the name implies

Tags: Add Tags